Looking to buy T6 kombi, will it smell like dog?

Sibo468

I have been looking for a T6 for almost a year now, found one that meets my criteria and I can actually afford.

Only problem is, the owner has a dog. They have said it’s not a smell van. It’s the other side of the county so I can’t pop round and give it a sniff.

My question is, can dog smell be shifted by a damn good clean? There is a seat cover on the dogs main seat so that should help a bit.

Strange question, I know

Nothing wrong with dogs:mad:

On a serious note tho that wouldn’t put me off nothing a good clean wouldn’t sort! If that’s your main concern and the van meets your criteria and you’ve been looking for ages go and take a look before someone else snaps it ip

Last edited:
The doggy smell will fade quickly. especially with a good clean. finding the right T6 is hard, be prepared to make compromises, this is a small compromise IMO. others may have different opinions.

Hmm, not entirely sure about this. My friend bought a house that the previous owner had a big Alsatian and the carpets stunk of wet dog (not to mention the hair everywhere) and the only way to deal with this after multiple wet vacs was to replace the carpet and the underlay.

I’d want to see (and smell) the van before parting with any money.

*not all dogs are equal and although I don’t own a dog I am not anti-dog - it would be the same with someone who smoked in their van.

A van has less soft surfaces to absorb dog juices than a car or a house, so any smells shouldn't be too ingrained.

I'm trying to help a mate buy a car at the moment and anything that's any good is getting snapped up straight away. You'll have to be prepared to put the miles in and view a few 'dogs' just like we did in the old days when you had to speed read Autotrader first thing on a Friday morning before heading out with a map.

Thank you all for your responses, I’m coming to the conclusion that it will be able to be shifted. The owner has had for 12 months and used a seat cover.

I just may have to invest into a really good valet clean.

I will go and give it sniff, and follow my nose!

with a good seat cover it should be fine. Is the van carpet lined out or standard factory kombi with grey panels. if its the latter the only soft furnishings in the whole van are the seats and cab headliner! (assuming its got standard rubber cab floor too)
and to be honest if it was that bad then seats can always be retrimmed and new seat foams if the rest of the van suits your needs.
my 2p is that I wouldnt worry! good luck

with a good seat cover it should be fine. Is the van carpet lined out or standard factory kombi with grey panels. if its the latter the only soft furnishings in the whole van are the seats and cab headliner! (assuming its got standard rubber cab floor too)
and to be honest if it was that bad then seats can always be retrimmed and new seat foams if the rest of the van suits your needs.
my 2p is that I wouldnt worry! good luck
This is the van in question, it’s a factory Kombi but the back has been carpeted. I think the dog rides up front on the passenger seat.

I think a good clean will surfice.

General thoughts on the van would be welcome. Suits my needs and looks the be inline with the current market. It’s my first van so want to make sure it has resell value if it doesn’t work out with lifestyle (I’m sure it will though )

Allow some extra money to change those woeful headlights.

Looks a nice van to be fair it’s a highline so few little goodies as standard I’ve seen a lot worse advertised for a lot more money

Meguiar’s make a “Car re-fresher”, which is supposed to eliminate odours.
Never used one but for a tenner could be worth a try after a deep clean/valet.

Meguiar's G201502EU Whole Car Air Re-Fresher Odour Eliminator Mist Fiji Sunset Scent Air Bomb 59ml https://amzn.eu/d/hYiiUKN

Bought a single owner car once from the owner of a large dog. It had several air fresheners in it so didn’t smell at all despite the dog hairs throughout the luggage area. However, whenever the air fresheners wore out, the dog smell returned and despite many cleans (though never a professional valet) the smell never went. However, it just became a characteristic of that car and didn’t really bother us after a while.

Thank you all for your responses, I’m coming to the conclusion that it will be able to be shifted. The owner has had for 12 months and used a seat cover.

I just may have to invest into a really good valet clean.

I will go and give it sniff, and follow my nose!
Just be aware that once it’s wet after a valet it will get worse before it gets better. Best done on a hot summer day IMO.
No I’m not anti dog, I can just think of things that are easier on the nose.

Bought a single owner car once from the owner of a large dog. It had several air fresheners in it so didn’t smell at all despite the dog hairs throughout the luggage area. However, whenever the air fresheners wore out, the dog smell returned and despite many cleans (though never a professional valet) the smell never went. However, it just became a characteristic of that car and didn’t really bother us after a while.
now I’m worried again

Deffo has ac again highline model

Dsg which is desirable
T32 which again is desirable
Day van conversion already started carpets bed etc

It's a Highline so will have AC. Those "embellishments" on the wheels are likely just vinyl wrap.

Back