[T6] Looking for the D+ signal wire in a T6

Hi Bryn23, I see that you have the Votronic triple, I know this thread is rather old but would love to know how you got on with it and whether using the switched fuse sorted your D+ problem out? Did you use the AES solar output for a fridge?
Looking forward to installing mine this weekend, surprised this unit doesn't feature much in this forum, though there is a lot of brand loyalty here someone on this forum must work for sikaflex :)

Hi Hodgo,

I ended up just using a piggy back fuse into the fuse panel, to allow the unit to see that the ignition is active when the van is on.

I didn't use the AES solar output, i didn't see the need with my electrical layout.

These are a good unit, i used the 30/20/250 for our first trip around Australia and had no faults, so much so that i brought a 60/40/430 for our next trip around Aus. (we don't tend to plug in to mains, so we needed a faster charging for in-between camp sites)

But having said that, this new unit is faulty and will being going back, and i've had to put the older model back in for the time being, until it is fixed.

They do make some good products, but there customer care is a lot to be desired, its a very slow process, even with my distributor following them up, I had a fault with the Jupiter Panel, which was fixed after about 3-4 months...

If they were only as reliable as Sikaflex 291 or 252, lol

When i first installed this unit, i ended up taking the easy way out and using the VW fuse board, its true that i could have used the Aux battery relay, but to be honest i didn't even think of it at the time.

These is a lot more info on the forum now than 3 years ago:)

I'm never quite sure on the terminology, so I don't know if it's technically called a D+, but the T6 with a factory fit leisure battery uses a 'D+' signal wire for the relay which is only live when the engine is actually running (as opposed to the standard ignition live). Whatever it's called, this is clearly the optimal signal wire for a DC-DC charger because it's live if, and only if, the alternator is capable of supplying current. However, I've no idea where to find this in a standard T6 without the factory fit leisure battery option...
It is called, "engine run signal". There is no D+ on an intelligent alternator. With a DC-DC charger a normal ignition signal is fine. They all have a cut off voltage to protect the vehicle battery from excessive discharge.

I ended up just using a piggy back fuse into the fuse panel, to allow the unit to see that the ignition is active when the van is on.

May I ask what electrical component fuse you chose for this? I'm currently installing one and wondering what's the best fuse in the fusebox to choose.

Wow thanks guys for the info download. I think I will take travelvolts and Btyn23 advice and just run a ignition feed from the fuse box. Wheelie its a 5 amp fuse as per the wiring diagram in your instruction manual. :)IMG-1634.jpg

1590275895314.jpeg
I just ended up using a piggy back fuse, if I recall it was a mini blade for the centre fuse

Thanks for the info. Tho I’ve gone through all the fuses including the mini’s in the centre console with a DMM but can’t find anything switching on which is engine run dependant, everything seems to be permanently on or key in ignition on. Any ideas?

Update: sorry, should have read this thread through, travelvolts says ok to take ignition live

Last edited:
I am in the process of adding a 12V Lithium leisure battery to my T6 using a Redarc BCDC 1225 DC-DC charger the battery is a 100Ah Enerdrive eLite. The Redarc unit needs a blue wire connected to 12V ignition on which seems ok to find but on reading the Redarc handbook more closely it it says "for vehicles equipped with Stop-Start connect the blue wire to the D+ signal".
I have no idea what the D+ signal is or where to find it. As usual the VW handbook is of no use at all. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
(I tend to turn the stop start off but I do occasionally forget)
Cheers, Brian.

This thread has a chunk of useful info on

Traditionally you would connect D+ to a circuit that is only live with the ignition in the fully on position 2.

This will work but has the downside that your DC-DC charger may be pulling 30amps off the main electrics during startup.

So ideally you want to try and pick up the "engine running" circuit from the BCM, then your charger will only be enabled when the engine is actually running. This is why Redarc are advising this route as doing this will cut the charger during start stop events.

This may also be of use to you:

Thanks very much roadtripper, lots of useful info. After some thinking I will go with a 12V ignition on signal from the fuse box the BCM sounds a' bridge too far' for me to attempt and I usually remember to turn the "start-stop' off.
Thanks again,
Brian

You don't need a D+ signal, just any ignition switched. Take it from the dash fusebox.

Depending on your DC-DC charger you might not need to as many can use software to detect engine run state.

Best advice, start a specific thread asking for advice with details/pics of your van and the charger and people will chip in.

Welcome to the forum!

more info:

connection : J519 BCM - T73a/3 for D+ Engine run signal, (the OEM option)

or

switched IGN feed - fuse tap from centre line of fuses on the SC fuse box (T6)

You don't need a D+ signal, just any ignition switched. Take it from the dash fusebox.

Depending on your DC-DC charger you might not need to as many can use software to detect engine run state.

Best advice, start a specific thread asking for advice with details/pics of your van and the charger and people will chip in.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks, thats helpful. When you say from the fusebox, am I correct in thinking there is some kind of piggyback fuse that you can take a wire off easily ?

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you...I'm new to the forum but I'll take that advice start a specific thread.

Back