Looking for the best set up , to charge this 200ah AGM Leisure Battery

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
@sasha123

has this fitted to his: T6 204 dsg euro6 2018 (and it looks like has has some impressive kit, so ill move this thread here)

@sasha123 says : i am looking for the best set up , to charge this 2000w inverter off grid and/or from engine bay using solar panels and the alternator
The pull from the invertor can be up to 200amps so the battery will drain quickly

the system is independent and charges from hook up at present
1 220ah AGM battery
1 2000w invertor
1 battery charger

IMG_20200503_200529.jpg

IMG_20200503_200546.jpg

IMG_20200503_200552.jpg

@sashrigh ok.

Is that in a T6? What spec? Year?. Eu5. EU6? Etc.
You will need a dc-dc charger for alternator charging.
And a solar array and solar controller for sun.
I'll offer some options when I get more info.

so i think he needs a LARGE current DC-DC charger to charge from the engine while driving:
maybe the Renogy Dc50
or the Redarc, BCDC1250D

and:
for Solar panels: look into the Victron MPPT solar controller :

maybe this one . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent information. And I'm thinking about fitting a permanent Solar panel, but don't fancy sticking to the Vans roof.

thanks, some bedtime reading there to be getting on with ,
first question- i am defo leaning towards redcar DC-DC 50A, can these be run in parallel or would that be to much pull for the alternator
would i need a solar charger aswell ,as these are dual input or is it your preference to have separate controllers

They can be paralleled yes.... BUT your battery is 200ah AGM chemistry and will charge at 0.1C/0.2C (10%-20% of battery capacity @ 20A-40A) best.
So more than 50A dc-dc will not benefit you charging that battery.
But more than 50A may help power the 2kw inverter when the engine is running.....
But you need to ask VW what size alternator you have..so you don't cook it by drawing too many amps.
I have a 180A alternator fitted as I had a factory leisure battery. But the standard alternator is much less.

You can start with solar being added to a dc-dc charger.
But you will soon find that the solar capacity is limited on most dc-dc chargers to around 50-150w. (3-9A)
For you to start pushing 200-600w (12-36A) you need a dedicated solar controller that can handle the increased voltage and current.
The shortlisted items above are in line with the kit you have...... but 2kw is a large load in a T6.
Mind me asking what is the 2kw inverter used for?
And can you post more pics if the van inside and out . . . For some context.

Last edited:
Excellent information. And I'm thinking about fitting a permanent Solar panel, but don't fancy sticking to the Vans roof.
Go on you know you want to :)
We can have a Highlands solar panel glue party. Mines not on yet as the pop top needs work before the panel gets bonded on.

The Van is still under warranty, so don't want to be doing things like Sikaflexing a solar panel to the roof. Though, when the Vans warranty has run out, i still don't want to Sikaflex a solar panel to the roof! :p

Ah, now that seems like it would be better. And i take it you have done this?
And the Vinyl doesn't move or start to peel?
No, I haven’t - but plan to.

They can be paralleled yes.... BUT your battery is 200ah AGM chemistry and will charge at 0.1C/0.2C (10%-20% of battery capacity @ 20A-40A) best.
So more than 50A dc-dc will not benefit you charging that battery.
But more than 50A may help power the 2kw inverter when the engine is running.....
But you need to ask VW what size alternator you have..so you don't cook it by drawing too many amps.
I have a 180A alternator fitted as I had a factory leisure battery. But the standard alternator is much less.

You can start with solar being added to a dc-dc charger.
But you will soon find that the solar capacity is limited on most dc-dc chargers to around 50-150w. (3-9A)
For you to start pushing 200-600w (12-36A) you need a dedicated solar controller that can handle the increased voltage and current.
The shortlisted items above are in line with the kit you have...... but 2kw is a large load in a T6.
Mind me asking what is the 2kw inverter used for?
And can you post more pics if the van inside and out . . . For some context.
oh I forgot about the limit of the charging capacity of the battery -so no parallel just now but maybe increase the battery bank at a later date
I have a standard alternator so dont want to cook it
The 2Kw inverter is used to power a heat plate which welds plastic material and I move from site to site
the engine bay cannot power the inverter whilst idle as this contravenes the clean air act in Scotland so i was looking at maximizing charge using dc-dc and solar panel

dc- dc charging the aux battery when driving and the solar panel charging when idle

so thats the dc-dc charger sorted and the solar controller , now what would be a good scenario for the solar panels to maximize current input
ill be putting the panels on a pop top ,

oh I forgot about the limit of the charging capacity of the battery -so no parallel just now but maybe increase the battery bank at a later date
I have a standard alternator so dont want to cook it
The 2Kw inverter is used to power a heat plate which welds plastic material and I move from site to site
the engine bay cannot power the inverter whilst idle as this contravenes the clean air act in Scotland so i was looking at maximizing charge using dc-dc and solar panel

dc- dc charging the aux battery when driving and the solar panel charging when idle

so thats the dc-dc charger sorted and the solar controller , now what would be a good scenario for the solar panels to maximize current input
ill be putting the panels on a pop top ,

UPDATE
had a look at your threads for solar panel thanks
can i just check something with you to get the best charging capacity from the solar panels , I will need to put them in parallel or series
to get the max current , im thinking ill need 3 times 200watt solar panels , goodness know where i would fit them though

I'm going flexible panels for my pop top. Got some glass ones but think they'll be far too heavy on the pop (even tho within the weight limit).
Looking at the lensun ones but can't find a warranty for them. Renogy don't look as nice but have 5 year manufacturing warranty!

UPDATE
had a look at your threads for solar panel thanks
can i just check something with you to get the best charging capacity from the solar panels , I will need to put them in parallel or series
to get the max current , im thinking ill need 3 times 200watt solar panels , goodness know where i would fit them though

100w with a decent panel should give you 6A.

A decent panel setup is around £2 per watt.

So 500w should give you 30A

I've seen 300w on a T6 roof.

Maybe add some mobile solar to add to the floor?.

Basically space on the roof will be your next problem.

I'm going flexible panels for my pop top. Got some glass ones but think they'll be far too heavy on the pop (even tho within the weight limit).
Looking at the lensun ones but can't find a warranty for them. Renogy don't look as nice but have 5 year manufacturing warranty!
Lensun...

24mnths up.

100w with a decent panel should give you 6A.

A decent panel setup is around £2 per watt.

So 500w should give you 30A

I've seen 300w on a T6 roof.

Maybe add some mobile solar to add to the floor?.

Basically space on the roof will be your next problem.
Thanks @Dellmassive appreciated
Space on the roof is defo a problem to get the right number of panels and max the watts additional mobile may at be the way to go I'll dig deeper for solar panel options
Do you have a preference on fixed or flexible panels in terms of cost or robustness for the roof

If you only need to use the solar when on site look at using semi flexi ones in a hinged arrangement, with one folding on top of the other until you pitch up and then unfold them. I reckon you might achieve 600 watts by using 4 x 150 watt. Use a victron 75/50 controller.
You should also consider this DC-DC charger Ablemail AMC 12 12 60 | travelvolts

If you only need to use the solar when on site look at using semi flexi ones in a hinged arrangement, with one folding on top of the other until you pitch up and then unfold them. I reckon you might achieve 600 watts by using 4 x 150 watt. Use a victron 75/50 controller.
You should also consider this DC-DC charger Ablemail AMC 12 12 60 | travelvolts
Thanks I like that idea . Are you talking about putting the hinged arrangement on the pop up roof . I did have my eye in the ablemail . And British made do you have website travelvolts

Back