Looking for a Pop Top roof that’s very low profile and good quality

Hi, I've just stumbled across this thread where you mention your vanmax roof, this looks amazing where did you get this fitted? Cheers
I had it fitted at the Vanmax industrial unit where they make them. Iain stopped fitting them shortly after to concentrate on building and developing.
Halifax campers do them. I visited them initially and they seemed to be doing a good job on one they were fitting but their lead time was long so I went direct to Vanmax and saved a few weeks. That was the only reason tbh.

View attachment 117318
Really happy with my Low Life Bullet roof.
We have a hilo pop top on our LWB T6 that we’ve had for the past 5 years, and we’ve been fairly happy with it. Loved the fact it was spacious, and I could fall asleep up there while looking out over a moonlit lake, and silhouetted trees. Downside was it was too heavy for me to pull down, and hubby just about managed it, even after gas adjustments. We’ve just bought a new T6.1 LWB to convert, and are looking at our options for low profile pop top. I’m disappointed as cannot find one with plastic side windows. Just blackouts and fly screen mesh, which are obviously open to elements. HiLo have changed their spec and no longer do plastic side windows. Can you give details of spec for the bullet roof please? Is it wide enough for two slim ish adults to sleep up there? And, is it suitable for LWB van?

We have a hilo pop top on our LWB T6 that we’ve had for the past 5 years, and we’ve been fairly happy with it. Loved the fact it was spacious, and I could fall asleep up there while looking out over a moonlit lake, and silhouetted trees. Downside was it was too heavy for me to pull down, and hubby just about managed it, even after gas adjustments. We’ve just bought a new T6.1 LWB to convert, and are looking at our options for low profile pop top. I’m disappointed as cannot find one with plastic side windows. Just blackouts and fly screen mesh, which are obviously open to elements. HiLo have changed their spec and no longer do plastic side windows. Can you give details of spec for the bullet roof please? Is it wide enough for two slim ish adults to sleep up there? And, is it suitable for LWB van?
Hi @Ann
The bullet roof is very easy to operate and Stealth/ Low Life do manufacture these roofs for LWB as well as offering customizable tent options. The bed area is quite narrow at just over a metre wide and if I remember correctly a 200kg weight limit in standard fit. Your best option is if you are considering one is to arrange to go and see one and if possible hire one of their hire vans for a weekend to see if it fits your needs. I must admit we fitted ours more for the headroom with the roof raised when camping rather than sleeping up top as we have a rib bed fitted.
Hope this helps
Regards D

Reactions: Ann
Thanks for info. I’ll contact them. Our HiLo can accommodate 2 x 55cm mattress beds, so it is quite a snug fit but we’ve managed. Does your front plastic window have a black out or not? We are considering a slide out full width bed at rear of our new van, as we’re custom fitting it out, and don’t need passenger seats in back. Could then use pop top for when we take our grandson and he could sleep up top. We have a three seater van.

Thanks for info. I’ll contact them. Our HiLo can accommodate 2 x 55cm mattress beds, so it is quite a snug fit but we’ve managed. Does your front plastic window have a black out or not? We are considering a slide out full width bed at rear of our new van, as we’re custom fitting it out, and don’t need passenger seats in back. Could then use pop top for when we take our grandson and he could sleep up top. We have a three seater van.
Yes the front window has a zip open blackout screen inside and we also have the full zip open panoramic tent. The roof bed would comfortably accommodate your grandson.

Mine has mesh side windows with a zip over material cover but a large plastic front window, also with a zip cover on the inside. And the whole thing unzips as it’s the scenic canvas

84653CA7-C014-4734-A562-21154456E6F4.jpegWe love our pull out bed as during the day it’s a ushaped sofa with a table. It’s not made up fully in this pic because it was just me using it.

Love this idea but I need three travelling seats in the rear..
Yeah unfortunately it’s no good if you travel as a family. It was more for Ann as she’d put that she was thinking of a pull out bed arrangement.

Skyline will do custom canvas options if you ask them nicely to contact Kingswood Canvas (if they still do all the canvases for Skyline) and ask if they can do it.
I had them put a zip out front window with a mesh outer on mine (and got their old shaped windows as well) since everyone I spoke to said the pop top became oven like as soon as the sun came up and an extra opening window and larger area was the obvious choice for more ventilation. There is a caveat for the extra strain that the zips go through with the tighter corners but so long as you accept that risk they will do it (no guarantee on the zips though)
It took a bit of persuading (I actually called Kingswood first to see if it could be done) see if Skyline say the same and you will need to give written, detailed instructions to Skyline for them to pass on to Kingswood because they can misinterpret what you want very easily and without written proof it may be hard to get it corrected (They initially put the clear plastic on the outside for some reason which meant three zips instead of two and if I wanted the window open, the clear bit was flapping around outside)
RoofUp.jpg

Back