Loo... It has to be asked, sorry

CLT1979

Hi

We are almost ready to buy our camper!
The one thing I’m really worrying about it the loo. I am absolootly one of those ladies that needs the loo in the night. Now my problem is I have a disability which means I am not going to be able to go outdoors and squat due to leg weakness. Even a loo in a tent might be tricky for me as I am thinking they are quite low to sit on? Sorry to be direct but is anyone able to offer advice? I so so want to get travelling but it’s the one thing that’s worrying me.

thanks CLT20

Hi

The one thing I’m really worrying about it the loo. I am absolootly one of those ladies that needs the loo in the night. Now my problem is I have a disability which means I am not going to be able to go outdoors and squat due to leg weakness. Even a loo in a tent might be tricky for me as I am thinking they are quite low to sit on? Sorry to be direct but is anyone able to offer advice? I so so want to get travelling but it’s the one thing that’s worrying me.

thanks CLT20
Many conversions can accommodate a Porta Potti or similar, and a 365 although bigger and bulkier is the "right height", whereas the 335 which seems to be the one often used (we do) is smaller and can be stored more easily although it is not difficult to sit it on top of one of the low Really Useful boxes (or similar) to raise it by a few inches/cms. This would work in tent or camper. The RU box can be used for storage of associated items e.g. loo rolls, wipes, etc.
We store our PP335 either under one of the side beds or concealed under an upside down Dunelm collapsible cube, which also acts as a seat.
With regard to privacy within the camper it should be possible to arrange a curtain screen or similar depending on your eventual layout.
The Porta Pottis work well, do not smell and are easy to empty. They can be used inside or outside the camper, unlike the permanently installed type.
Hope that helps a bit!

If you haven't decided on a camper, and it's mostly going to be just 2 of you, have you considered a rear kitchen layout? Most of them have the option of a loo. PM me if you want a list, I did a lot of research :thumbsup:

We’re looking to get a loo for our non-converted van just in case we have a UK holiday this year. Means we can be self sufficient when out & about, and not rely on motorway services etc so welcome any portaloo recommendations.

Regards
Ian

Strong and Stable as Teresa May would say. It doesn’t smell, easy to clean and store plus it is very cheap.
If you have swiveling captains seats it will sit just below the seat level between them so no chance of knocking it over or falling off.
It also doubles as a Diesel can / funnel if you don’t watch the fuel gauge!

Personally I gag when I see people emptying their chemical toilets (why is it always the mens job?).

1590486430893.jpeg

This month's Campervan Magazine has a review of the new Bilbos T6 camper with rear 'bathroom', might give you some ideas.
Mines a 335, it lives under the rib so it is low as others have said. I said I'd never use it but my bladder says otherwise ;)
My mum is 94 and has a riser on her loo, its a sturdy plastic moulding that raises the seat by about 4" maybe thats a possibility.
Emptying & cleaning mine doesnt bother me in the slightest, our family business is a boarding kennels, sh1t shovelling is 90% of the job!!!
But seriously, the loos are very cleverly designed to avoid mess and make the job as easy as poss.

There will be a strict rule - no big jobs:eek:

Our Suntor had a poem on the loo door:
"This is not a magic loo
it soon gets full of wee and poo
Pee all you want, but if you sh*t
its your turn to empty it !"

We often use a Uribag; for no 1s only. Also available in a male version, but the female one can be multi-gender if necessary. They are now available more widely but we have always used this supplier.

I once went on a narrowboat weekend with some work colleagues - we had the moto ‘$hit on shore and pay no more’ (we had to pay extra if the tanks needed pumping)

Reactions: CAB
Hi

thanks CLT20
Hi there,
Like you I have a disability in so far as I have a colostomy bag which means I need the toilet frequently, on top of that I have terminal cancer. Apart from that I’m great! Lol
So.... toilet is important to me and a real crucial factor.
After much research we opted for the Thetford 335 which is very popular amongst owners in this forums. The main advantage with the 335 is that for the majority (not all) of campers it will fit in under the Rib bed. Mind is just a bit too tight but it means I simply split it in two. I agree that if it’s sat in the floor of the bus it could be problematical as it’s low down. I tend to put it on the passengers seat when it’s spun around in accommodation mode, that should be easier for you. The Thetford is that little bit more expensive but the quality is very good, there are no smells or spillages whatsoever, and emptying the cassette at the chemical toilet points is a breeze.
I would definitely recommendation it

We’re looking to get a loo for our non-converted van just in case we have a UK holiday this year. Means we can be self sufficient when out & about, and not rely on motorway services etc so welcome any portaloo recommendations.

Regards
Ian
Porta Potti 335 - easy to store, easy to handle. To add height for more comfortable seat position, place it on top of one of the shallow depth Really Useful storage boxes or similar.

Reactions: CAB
Back