Long locking wheel bolts for spacers?

T6 dork

Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
20mm spacers need a much longer bolt with 57mm length of thread (please correct me if im wrong)
now the question is Does anybody use locking bolts also 57mm thread length
if so where did you buy them please?
thanks

Last edited:
I have an unused set of McGard locking bolts that I need to sell.
Basically I was after a set of McGard wheel bolts but could only buy these with a set of locking bolts as well. I already have locking bolts so the new ones are surplus.
I need to dig them out.
One thing though is that these bolts are for a cone shaped seat - typical for an aftermarket wheel - and not the radiused seat of the OE wheels.

I’m looking to get some wheel spacers before lowering me van a touch more. But I was wondering what would be the largest spacers I could put on the rear as I could do with about 25mm and 15mm on the front. But can you use the original wheel bolts?

The max I dare to use with the original bolts are 5mm and even that's a slight risk in my opinion.
I've had 15,20 and 25mm spacers and they all came with much longer bolts.

From an engineering point of view you need 1x diameter of thread engaged with a steel fastener in a steel body.
So a M14 bolt in a steel hub means 14mm of thread engaged.
Given the potential I personally would not deviate from what VW has engineered, use the same number of threads engaged in the hub as standard.

Ok thank you both. Is there any make better than another or are al spacers pretty much the same.

Ok thank you both. Is there any make better than another or are al spacers pretty much the same.

All mine are H&R and they've been faultless.
Personally I'd just avoid the cheap Ebay specials, but that's just me.

I've got 15mm Watfield spacers on the front (from eBay as recommended by many users on here) and 25mm H&R spacers on the rear. Both appear to be great quality and both came with the appropriate length replacement bolts included. Personally I wouldn't add any spacers without using the correct length bolts - a wheel coming off is not good!

Guys,

Can 25mm spacers fit on the front with steel wheels? If not what would be the widest I could go without causing any obstruction to the bodywork?

Paul,

Just thought I would include everyone to what we briefly spoke about earlier in the week, now that I have some more info.

To bring everyone up to speed with the conversation. I went to purchase some H&R spacers from AKS, when I said that they were for steel wheels, I was advised that the spacers are not meant for steels, only alloy wheels?
AKS did some digging with H&R who came back with the following reply:

We never tested the T6 on steel wheels for spacers and so we honestly cannot tell what
happens when you use the spacers on steel wheels.
The material should not be a big issue, it might be more that sometimes the tolerances of steel
wheels are different from aluminium wheels which can lead to the wheel not fitting
on the spacer or being too tight (which then damages the spacer / spacer-centering.

From reading this and to put a closure to that question, in my personal opinion I would be happy to take that as a low risk. There is no threat of failure, only that the wheels maybe tight on the spacer, all of which with a little care taken upon installing you can avoid if the tolerances are not too much out. Also the fact that because they simply have not been tested they have no evidence to say they are 100% sure they will be ok.
Looking at this sensibly though, if the spacer fits/feels right upon installing (hub is clean, no burrs, flat component faces and fully concentric when mounted) and the wheel bolts are the correct length for that spacer (as above comment by DX) the spacer is a solid piece of metal bolted between the wheel and the hub, once tight should be absolutely fine.

Arnie.

Sorry to jump on this thread....but,

does anyone know where i can get wheel bolts to suit my steel wheels and 20mm spacers, they need to be 19mm spanner size to fit my centre caps also??

thanks for any help....

Hi Duncan,

I have been looking into this also and am about to purchase mine from AKS as above.

Arnie.

Anyone running spacers? And changed your wheel bolts? Looking to fit 16mm and 20mm spacers....

do i need new bolts and where’s the best place for them!

thanks

Back