Loire or Dordogne for summer 2018??

Chopman

Sold
T6 Guru
We did Scotland last year and for all the positives, Mrs Chopman wants some warmer weather next year.

I've heard good things about both of these destinations, and I think I'm leaning towards the Dordogne as it's a bit further south - so maybe better weather - and everyone says it is beautiful.

Any one been to either and have recommendations?
Any favourite campsites?
TIA :thumbsup:

Although not quite smack in the centre of the areas you've suggested, I cannot recommend ile de re highly enough. We stayed here Contact Campsite France Poitou Charentes - CAMPING LA GRAINETIERE - Charente-Maritime last easter and it was getting into the early to mid 20's the week we stayed there, and we will be going again next year during easter. The island is stunning and if you're into your cycling like I am, it's pretty much geared up for this. The site is perfect, with a great indoor pool.

Other than that recommendation, my holiday areas tend to be further South France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. I can suggest that if anyone is going into Europe, then Switzerland has to be a must see destination. I've been 3 times now, and have some great sites we stay at. Don't be put off by the myth that it's overpriced. Yes, it's expensive, but with some savvy thinking and planning, it's well worth it.

Lastly if you're going onto France and it's a first time. Look at getting a Toll Tag, because we've toured Europe for the last few years, and it was only this year we got one of these, and it made the holidays so much more stress free, for such a simple gadget.

Bare in mind though, that we don't take a T6 Camper and use our Motorhome instead.

Ile De Re this Easter.

ilde.jpg

@Chopman look at the thread "Brittany And Beyond' also. It's worth making the longer crossing in to either Roscoff or St Malo on an overnight sailing with a cabin as the first day of your holiday to save the haul down from the northern Channel ports like Calais, saving miles and tolls. Nantes is then a morning's drive away and you are crossing the Loire.

Although not quite smack in the centre of the areas you've suggested, I cannot recommend ile de re highly enough. We stayed here Contact Campsite France Poitou Charentes - CAMPING LA GRAINETIERE - Charente-Maritime last easter and it was getting into the early to mid 20's the week we stayed there, and we will be going again next year during easter. The island is stunning and if you're into your cycling like I am, it's pretty much geared up for this. The site is perfect, with a great indoor pool.

Other than that recommendation, my holiday areas tend to be further South France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. I can suggest that if anyone is going into Europe, then Switzerland has to be a must see destination. I've been 3 times now, and have some great sites we stay at. Don't be put off by the myth that it's overpriced. Yes, it's expensive, but with some savvy thinking and planning, it's well worth it.

Lastly if you're going onto France and it's a first time. Look at getting a Toll Tag, because we've toured Europe for the last few years, and it was only this year we got one of these, and it made the holidays so much more stress free, for such a simple gadget.

Bare in mind though, that we don't take a T6 Camper and use our Motorhome instead.

Ile De Re this Easter.

View attachment 16039

How funny I mentioned the same site on the "other" thread. Granitiere was great but we also really like Couarde sur Mer, a basic Municipal site pretty much on one of the beaches and near a load of restaurants.
The highlights of the Island are the beaches, brilliant for family cycling (a bit tame for more hardcore riders) and the lovely town of La Flotte which Granitiere is very near to. We had 9 days of cloudless sky last Easter on the Island. I think we'll go again this Easter. Santander ferry already booked for Summer.

plus 1 for Il De Re, we were there last easter, Airotel Le Cormoran, lovely little harbours etc.

Tourershine, nice A Class, had a Burstner A Class, then Autotrail Coachbuild, then Rapido, now none at all.[/QUOTE]

Tourershine, nice A Class, had a Burstner A Class, then Autotrail Coachbuild, then Rapido, now none at all.

Motorhomes and Caravans are my business and pretty much my life and have been for years, so I love my Pilote, and would certainly buy another one if I ever changed. It helps in this industry if you have a good dealer, and mine was and still is very good, so good that we've had 3 Motorhomes off them, including a Burstner that I currently have for sale if you want to get back into one.... :thumbsup:

It's not often i'd see a customer go from a European, to British, but at least you went back to a European Motorhome. Most people move from British to European Motorhomes, and never go back.
Was there any reason for this @Dogs Dung ?

Looks like we were all there this Easter, and next... See you there.

Last edited:
It's not often i'd see a customer go from a European, to British, but at least you went back to a European Motorhome. Most people move from British to European Motorhomes, and never go back.

Looks like we were all there this Easter, and next... See you there.[/QUOTE]

the Burtsner was an Aviano 684 in champagne , lovely mhome, but it broke down in France , twice in same year, and I just wanted rid, it was 2008, so traded up to a year old A/Trail, which we had in France couple times, then went without for a year, and went and purchased a 2015 Rapido low profile, just weren't getting the use out of it in the end.

agree with the tunnel tho, only way to go, although with us being in NI, its 9 hrs from Cairnryan to Channel Tunnel, hence we usually took Irish Ferries route Rosslare-Cherbour or Rosscoff.

I always use the tunnel.
I love the driving part of my holidays and don't favour a ferry. (unless you want the Channel topping up with the contents of my tum)

With the ferry port and hour away and being transported directly to Spain, we are definitely pro ferry. Had a couple of roughs ones (12 crossings) but we discovered a trick this time; put a foam ear plug in one ear; no sickness. It’s worked for Atlantic crossing sailors and all sorts of others.

With the ferry port and hour away and being transported directly to Spain, we are definitely pro ferry. Had a couple of roughs ones (12 crossings) but we discovered a trick this time; put a foam ear plug in one ear; no sickness. It’s worked for Atlantic crossing sailors and all sorts of others.

Well ya learn something new on this forum all the time! In all the years we have been sailing I have never heard about the ear plug trick for sea sickness! its only TW that gets sick, I wont tell her I have all ready booked for next year..

We’ve been up into the ski resorts last year and did Santander back through France
earlier in year.
Toll tag was great on both trips when needing to cover distances fast.
So easy off the toll roads though.

See Brittany and beyond thread ..... great advice from members.

Motorhomes and Caravans are my business and pretty much my life and have been for years, so I love my Pilote, and would certainly buy another one if I ever changed. It helps in this industry if you have a good dealer, and mine was and still is very good, so good that we've had 3 Motorhomes off them, including a Burstner that I currently have for sale if you want to get back into one.... :thumbsup:

Looks like we were all there this Easter, and next... See you there.
We are just changing our Autotrail, new one comes in March (Autotrail again). We do our shopping in Newark also .:)
The only European Motorhome that offered a similar garage that we needed (garage connects through to main body - for dogs) was a Frankia (owned by Pilote), but what a price?????
and then it would have need a modification. My Cousin has a Frankia and loves it; maybe next time:)

We are just changing our Autotrail, new one comes in March (Autotrail again). We do our shopping in Newark also .:)
The only European Motorhome that offered a similar garage that we needed (garage connects through to main body - for dogs) was a Frankia (owned by Pilote), but what a price?????
and then it would have need a modification. My Cousin has a Frankia and loves it; maybe next time:)

Newark as in SMC, or Brownhills?

I agree the European Motorhomes are a lot more money, but i've been in this industry for long enough to know what suits my needs perfectly, and the Pilote does that in droves, with the bonus that I have no compromises that we always get when choosing a Caravan or Motorhome.
Plus the residuals are still really good.

Do you ever go into Europe?

Newark as in SMC, or Brownhills?

I agree the European Motorhomes are a lot more money, but i've been in this industry for long enough to know what suits my needs perfectly, and the Pilote does that in droves, with the bonus that I have no compromises that we always get when choosing a Caravan or Motorhome.
Plus the residuals are still really good.

Do you ever go into Europe?
Brownhills. We do the motorhome show, and look online; but the UK layouts are the only ones that work for us, without major modification, so we come down to no choice at all. Last time a Mohawk, this time a Serrano.
Next time I think we may contemplate a modification; but don't know how this would effect residuals???
No we don't go abroad with it; just weekend warriors, and long weekends. Looking forward to the fiat 180bhp, and gone for comfortmatic gearbox (fingers crossed).

I don't think any modifications if done well, will effect the residual value, unless you remove an important feature of the Motorhome. Speaking of residuals, I was just looking on the SMC website and they have a Pilote exactly the same as mine, in the exact same spec and year, with 5000 more miles than mine, and they want £69k for that. I paid £72k in 2015. That's made my evening!

I have the 180bhp and it's an amazing lump with oodles of torque. Have you tried the comfortmatic? It's an odd setup in a Motorhome, and takes some getting used to (The Bustner has that box, but on the 160 engine)

You need to get into Europe. I started in 2015 after 10 years touring in this country and I never looked back.
Now we only really go into Europe, and we've been to pretty much every country.

Last edited:
Back