Spare-wheel Locking-nut key missing

GJH

Model maker
T6 Pro
New tyres were supposed to be going on the van today, however I discovered that I don’t have a key for the locking nuts on my alloys .
VW stealership won’t just order me a new key, even tho’ I went in with the registration docs...but instead want £100 plus for an entire set of locking nuts....
Looks like I’ll be getting a 12 point socket and hammer out when the replacement nuts get delivered from Tamar.

My local indepandant VW garage have a universal key for VAG locking wheel nuts. Would the stealers just remove them for you?

I’m not getting the tyres done at the dealership, so I’m not paying over a ton for some VW locking nuts to replace the ones that will have to be removed and then replaced for me to drive over to the ‘tyre place’...off on holiday tomorrow (skiing, yay) so the new locking nuts from Tamar should be here on my return and I’ll get the old ones off at the same time either by using a 12 point socket or a suitable removal kit...cheers

Bloody nightmare. Tow bar fitter coming within the hour. Discover that the locking wheel nut key for the spare wheel is missing.

Living in hope he's done this before and can complete it!

I'll be having words with he people who fit my winter tyres. they're the only people who have ever touched the pouch they sit in.

tempImagelTgMXI.png

Get a Stilson type pipe wrench on it, the rotating collar already looks rusted solid. The Stilson will crush it and get the screw out.
Once out have a search on the Forum to avoid having your spare wheel nicked.

Get a Stilson type pipe wrench on it, the rotating collar already looks rusted solid. The Stilson will crush it and get the screw out.
Once out have a search on the Forum to avoid having your spare wheel nicked.
I've ordered another one. I dont have a Stilson, hoping next door does when he gets back or the fitter has had this before.

You can try hammering a socket on to it, if you have a bottle jack you maybe able to press the socket on.

I’ve also tried that as well. The problem is there is a collar on it that just turns so I can’t get a grip on the bolt.

I’ve also tried that as well. The problem is there is a collar on it that just turns so I can’t get a grip on the bolt.
That collar should crush, if it doesn‘t trying chiseling it off, hacksaw it off, file it off etc, The collar that is.
Worst case the towbar fitter will probably chop the head off with an angle grinder.

FFS :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Fitter couldn't do it. Next door had a serious stilson wrench, off it came.

Then only to discover that PF Jones has sent the wrong loom! Fitter trying to be diplomatic - but it's not the 1st time they've done it!

There is a very cheap solution to use in addition to the standard 3 pin locking bolt; use an old hole saw or cut down 1/2” socket as a guard. I used a cheap hole saw, I cant shift it with a 12” Stilson.
As a bonus the bast@rd might slash their hand open trying to nick it.
View attachment 68711
When you get your new bolt....

So they have pushed back the fitting to the 5th July. They are a joke.

Take it to a tyre dealer. They will have a set of removal keys/tools. Then replace with standard bolts and never have the issue again.

There's a fella on here selling standard bolts.

Then replace with standard bolts and never have the issue again - there's a fella on here selling standard bolts.
@Radford1071s has some

I bought a replacement key from a guy on eBay, send a pic of the locking nut and he'll send the appropriate key to match it, it cost £16:50 and it arrived within 2-3 days

I bought a replacement key from a guy on eBay, send a pic of the locking nut and he'll send the appropriate key to match it, it cost £16:50 and it arrived within 2-3 days
Good business for re-selling, you can buy 23 keys for less than 50 quid delivered.
23 x 16.50 = £379.50!
IMO go for the VW genuine key, a poor quality key could cause extreme disruption if it isn’t up to the job when you really need it.

Good business for re-selling, you can buy 23 keys for less than 50 quid delivered.
23 x 16.50 = £379.50!
IMO go for the VW genuine key, a poor quality key could cause extreme disruption if it isn’t up to the job when you really need it.
Except that set is for the old version keys, not ones in current use.

23 x 16.50 = £379.50!
I phoned Sinclairs in Swansea and Cardiff, both said they couldn't help even if I brought the van in to match the right key, there's 1000 different keys apparently, and no record of what key was used on what van, even the sales guys thought it would be common sense to log it in case the key is lost (quite common apparently)

I considered buying a set of keys but I couldn't see the matching key in the sets and didn't want to take a chance.
I don't know where the individual key I bought came from originally, I assumed the seller has a list of part numbers and pre orders from tps, hopefully they aren't made of cheese, I'll report back when I have or haven't taken the wheels off ;-)

Back