Locking wheel nut key failed

DaveyB

Team White
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Anyone else had issues with the OEM wheel locking bolts? Had to take front wheel off a couple of days ago as a stone ended up between the inner side of the brake disk and the disk protector (wife was driving!!!!!!!), noise was horrific.
Anyway, ended up not being able to get the wheel off as the locking bolt has had the “pattern” eroded so that the adaptor won’t hold it secure when trying to undo it.
Gonna have to drill the swine off.

I had it on my t5 when i went get new tyres. Guys at Halfords auto centre removed them with locking nut removers of some sorts. They did warn me that they might damage the alloy, but everything was fine.
Should think drilling them out would be a nightmare.

Have you got a link? Just been looking on web and they only seem to be nut version, not the bolt version.

First blow out on the T6 today... luckily I was parked up when the tyre exploded.... woke a few people up when it went..!

If it hadn't been heard and witnessed by 2 other people I would of assumed someone had put a knife through the sidewall... :eek:

Luckily I had my spare recently swapped out for the right size.... However i didn't realise the oem security locking wheel bolts were made of cheese and the jack would struggle to lift a pram off the ground... thankfully a helpful passer-by was on hand to lend his jack as well..

20200809_160722.jpg
20200809_160736.jpg

I bent my jack trying to change a flat, always carry a 2ton small trolly jack now and a crack bar.

Yes
I bent my jack trying to change a flat, always carry a 2ton small trolly jack now and a crack bar.
Yes, i suppose its a lesson learnt there... i will look into a better jack and also look to replace the oem security bolts as it started chewing up and slipping off trying to undo it...
20200809_174153.jpg

Yes

Yes, i suppose its a lesson learnt there... i will look into a better jack and also look to replace the oem security bolts as it started chewing up and slipping off trying to undo it...
View attachment 80826

I had this on a mates Audi TT - I used a flat ended punch and hammer to peen the edges back down enough to get the bolt off. Some people bin them and fit standard bolts others recommend torquing them 20nm less

Last edited:
I'm thinking of binning them... had it of rounded off at the time of the blow out 250 miles from home it would of been on the back of a tow truck probably....

Bin my locking bolts on every vehicle, they are an absolute menace. I've also had the standard vw scissor jack collapse on me, the thread stripped mid wheel change. I managed to borrow a trolley jack to finish changing my wheel. I carry a very compact 5 ton bottle jack in the van now

I like the bottle jack idea, it looks more compact than the trolley jack... i will look at which one to order... thanks for the tip..:thumbsup:

I would contact the manufacturer as something is seriously wrong with that tyre. Maybe they give you a replacement.

Back