Is tyre Load Rating important?

AmyB

Hi, newbie to T6 but had a T5 a decade ago
Purchased a t32 as it had everything I needed and low mileage, however now stuck with these rather specific t32 issues!

So this is always going to be our family day van, carrying kids, dog and family paraphernalia, never for commercial/heavy use. So clearly am never going to be anywhere near the maximum load of 3.2 tonnes, and the van empty only weighs just over a tonne.

Is it essential that I get alloys for the full loaded weight, when a lower rating will always be adequate for what I need? I.e. will this be safe (I assume so if the van is always lightly loaded), and will it or will it not invalidate my insurance??

Typically, the wheels we like are slightly lower than the 825kg for the t32, but not far off (790 I think..)

Ta!!

That’s a decision only you can make. If asking should you break the law, then no. It’s like speed limits; you could break them all day every day and get away with it, however have an accident whilst breaking the speed limit - it’s probably not going to end well for you.
I understand what you are saying; I have a T32 which is a family vehicle, doesn’t carry loads anywhere near its maximum payload, but wouldn't run lower than a 103 tyre. If you want to go lower rated tyres and wheels, then do it legally and have SV Tech do the paperwork necessary to legally lower your axle ratings.

So you want to compromise yourself and your families safety for “the look” and you want us to validate your decision?

I personally think you know the answer to your questions.
In this day and age you can't mess about with the safety of your family.

This makes me really upset, I didn’t know the answer so I wanted to ask. Clearly the last thing I want to do is compromise safety, so I asked people who I hoped might give me a clear answer. No, I don’t want ‘the look’ but we all like to put our individual stamp on things.

Logic told me that as long as the weight was no more than that of the wheel limit it would be safe regardless of the type of van, hence I was asking.

If this is the sort of response people give to an honest question I don’t think I’ll stick around. But thanks to DaveyB for a sensible answer.

This makes me really upset, I didn’t know the answer so I wanted to ask. Clearly the last thing I want to do is compromise safety, so I asked people who I hoped might give me a clear answer. No, I don’t want ‘the look’ but we all like to put our individual stamp on things.

Logic told me that as long as the weight was no more than that of the wheel limit it would be safe regardless of the type of van, hence I was asking.

If this is the sort of response people give to an honest question I don’t think I’ll stick around. But thanks to DaveyB for a sensible answer.
@AmyB - hello and welcome to the forum. I actually think you asked a reasonable question which, as you say, @DaveyB has sensibly answered for you.

Generally this is a very friendly and safe forum - please stick around!!

I have a T32 for the exact same use as yours, and have been faced with similar issues. The short answer is that there are quite a few options that are load rated for the T32, and while not as easy or readily available, they are out there. On the plus side T32’s also have benefits like bigger brakes that the T30’s and T28’s don’t always have.

If you have any specific questions and don’t want self righteous answers feel free to DM me your questions and I will be happy to help. I can also introduce you to plenty other T32 owners on here who can help you out as well.

The main problem is insurance any discrepancy and they won't pay out if you (God forbid have an accident).
I personally have a T30 so have a few more options with regards to wheels and tyres.but understand your frustration. I'm sorry you feel that way because we are not nasty on this forum and theres loads of good advice that probably could be worded better. Certainly by myself!
Anyway welcome to the forum

I
Hi, newbie to T6 but had a T5 a decade ago
Purchased a t32 as it had everything I needed and low mileage, however now stuck with these rather specific t32 issues!

So this is always going to be our family day van, carrying kids, dog and family paraphernalia, never for commercial/heavy use. So clearly am never going to be anywhere near the maximum load of 3.2 tonnes, and the van empty only weighs just over a tonne.

Is it essential that I get alloys for the full loaded weight, when a lower rating will always be adequate for what I need? I.e. will this be safe (I assume so if the van is always lightly loaded), and will it or will it not invalidate my insurance??

Typically, the wheels we like are slightly lower than the 825kg for the t32, but not far off (790 I think..)

Ta!!
In answer to one question there, yes it will invalidate your insurance should you have an accident. Loss adjusters are engaged by insurance companies to look for a way out of paying - don't gift them one on a plate!

Edit: @Peatey beat me to it

As you've just found out @AmyB load ratings is a contentious subject, and although you don't sound like the sort of person to sit the wrong side of the law, I can assure you that plenty in here do, including myself at one point.

Scan through some of the most famous instagram Transporters, and I bet you won't find many running load rated wheels or tyres. I always take the opinion that it's their vehicle, and their choice, end of. After all, I see far more blatant flouting of the laws on dozens of vehicles every single day on our roads.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: stick around and you will see this lots bark is far worse than their bites.

@AmyB welcome to the forum.

Load ratings is a touchy subject by the sounds of things. The option to 'down plate' your van to a T28 or T30 is good advice and if i remember correctly is roughly £80-£90 and takes a couple of weeks to complete once the simple application has been submitted.

From an MOT perspective wheels are not recorded however tyres are checked.

If you feel comfortable running 825kg rated wheels it is purely your choice and as long as your insurance are made aware and are happy to cover you, then in the event anything unfortunate happens your covered. This is also applies to down plating.

I hope the comments above haven't put you off the forum, it tends to be a fountain of knowledge, most often loads of banter and I've met some decent people through going to meets and shows who are always willing to help out with problems.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the recent answers, this does seem to be a touchy subject! I’d actually done a lot of searching but hadn’t found a conclusive answer so hence the post here.

I absolutely do not want to a. Compromise safety or b. Do anything illegal. I didn’t know the answer or want something unsafe to be validated so I’ll eithef stick to my lovely safe factory spec wheels or make sure I get something appropriate for my van.

Had no idea you could change the specification of the van to a T30/28!

Will try to discuss something less contentious next time! Paint colour or something...

Oh no @AmyB, now you’ve given @Tourershine the “in” that he has been waiting for. To save you having to read back through all his posts, imagine him as Henry Ford, but from the midlands.
“You can have your T6 in any colour, so long as it is black”.:eek:
Paint!!!!!! Of all the things to go and think wouldn’t be contentious....;)
Next it’ll be “to lower or not to lower”??:rolleyes:
Now where did that Polzey-bloke go:whistle:.

@AmyB.
In all seriousness, this is a great forum where 99.9% of the time commentary remains respectful, so don’t let this ruin it for you. I appreciate that you were asking the question because you were not sure, however there have been folks come on here before saying the same thing, quite happy to flaunt the law. What happens, is that as a bunch of vehicle nuts, that sort of thing is like red rag to a bull. Clearly there has been a miss-interpretation, which is extremely easy when considering the written word.
You will find so much help and advice across these pages and from our 1,000’s of members don’t let this event compromise your enjoyment. If it will help at all, then please feel free to drop me a private message using the inbox function, and i’ll happily tell you what I know in answering your questions about tyres and wheels. If I can help with any other questions you may have then i’ll offer what I can; albeit don’t ask me whether Noddy’s car was red with yellow doors, or yellow with red doors, because I can never remember!;)

I have a T32 for the exact same use as yours, and have been faced with similar issues. The short answer is that there are quite a few options that are load rated for the T32, and while not as easy or readily available, they are out there. On the plus side T32’s also have benefits like bigger brakes that the T30’s and T28’s don’t always have.

If you have any specific questions and don’t want self righteous answers feel free to DM me your questions and I will be happy to help. I can also introduce you to plenty other T32 owners on here who can help you out as well.
t32 does not get bigger brakes as standard

Back