Linking leisure battery to "plug in" electric hook-up on Campsites.

MagsieWorld

Hi there folks
This is my first post!
I'm looking for some help and advice re charging my leisure battery. I got a leisure battery fitted (under drivers seat), an autoterm diesel heater, a euro 6 split charger system and 12v/usb sockets fitted. I don't have an electric hook up so apart from driving around the whole time I'm away, how can I charge the battery? I'm going away for 2 nights so would a fully charged battery last to heat the van morning/evening and a few led lights?
I would also like to know if it is a big job to add an EHU to van so I can charge the battery when on a site with EHU?
Hopefully these are not too dumb questions but I really can not get my head round electrics!
Any advice gratefully received.
Mags

hi you should know by now No question is Dumb in here there's a lot of nice people in here wanting to help you and give you the correct advise
and who will be along shortly.

what size battery will let you know how long have run time ... do you a fridge or cool box plugged into you 12v... what split charger do you have ...

But for a quick temporary EHU you can get a camping / tent long extension lead with a fitted RCD and 2 or 3 240v outlets all in one ready to plug and play into site 240v , But has the lead ran out your window.. you can plug your battery charger - combined 12v power unit into this too , feeding your 12v equipment

The permanent way you will need a consumer unit with RCD and circuit breakers and sockets cut / mounted into you cabinets connectors see where you want your connection to plug in under bonnet or under van or van side

i use a Victron blue tooth 12/30 power / charger under my drivers seat can see on my phone what the battery s doing .

TravelVolts can supply you with all your needs and advise but if in any doubt get an electrician to fit it for you

Nick

I use a Mains hook up cable and 10A battery charger to charge the battery/run AC appliances when on hook up at a site and/or portable solar panel to charge the battery in the wild. Both can be made 'plug n play' by adding cable tails to your leisure battery, which can be tucked under the seat when not in use. A properly integrated AC hook up point is better if you're going to be camping a lot on sites with hook up. Check Delmassive's brilliantly detailed threads for a full low down.

Hi there folks
This is my first post!
I'm looking for some help and advice re charging my leisure battery. I got a leisure battery fitted (under drivers seat), an autoterm diesel heater, a euro 6 split charger system and 12v/usb sockets fitted. I don't have an electric hook up so apart from driving around the whole time I'm away, how can I charge the battery? I'm going away for 2 nights so would a fully charged battery last to heat the van morning/evening and a few led lights?
I would also like to know if it is a big job to add an EHU to van so I can charge the battery when on a site with EHU?
Hopefully these are not too dumb questions but I really can not get my head round electrics!
Any advice gratefully received.
Mags
Firstly, your Euro 6 van really needs a dc-dc charger not a split charge system. Do you know exactly what is fitted?
As for if the battery will run an autoterm heater and the usb sockets, that depends on several things, the size of the battery (Ah), the time the heater is run for, what you have connected to the usb sockets.

Temporarily you could buy a battery charger, and a camping lead to hook up (with the built in RCD) This would keep the battery charged up.

Thanks for the replies. The problem I have is the battery is under the drivers seat so I don't have access to it unless I take the seat out. On the back panel of the seat is where there is a vent for the heat to come out so not sure I can remove that to see more of the battery.
It might have to be a cable through the window until I get a EHU fitted.
I was told it would be fitted with a dc battery to battery charger but not sure the size of leisure battery, will try to see under the seat for more info.
Skyliner33, you mentioned a battery charger and hook up lead to keep things charged. I do have a hook up like the one you linked to but not a battery charger. The problem is my battery is under the drivers seat so not sure how i would attach a charger??

If you can find out what charging system is in place already that will help us give advice. take some pictures and post them here if your not sure what is what.

If you need a quick simple solution, attach a pigtail like the one in the picture to the battery so each time you need to charge it you simply plug the charger into it. If the battery is under the seat you should be able to position the pigtail so it is easily accessible. You might need to remove the seat (or slide it right forwards depending on how the battery is installed) to fit the pigtail but you’ll only need to do it once.

Picture is of a Victron pigtail for a Victron charger, they are specific to chargers so if you do this make sure you get the one for the charger youget. Victron kit is excellent.
8228259D-3A33-4B1D-9A80-4902C91A1F9E.jpeg

If that 12v socket is connected to the leisure battery you can charge through that. Most decent chargers will have a 12v plug accessory you can use.
The heating duct is in the standard cover. You should be able to pop the cover off and see what is behind without too much trouble. It just clips into the metal seat base and will unclip with a gentle tug.
Also have a look under the front of the seat as you may be able to see what has been installed from the front.
My DC-DC charger is installed under my driver seat and can be easily seen from the front as it is installed vertically.

Hi all.

My T6 currently has a van engine bay battery to leisure battery charging system.

All good, but in deepest winter, the diesel heater drains it quite quickly and I have to start the engine for 5 mins to get it back full again.

My question is, having had caravans for years, is there a way to set up the leisure battery to also charge from a campsite hook-up (240v?).

Any help gratefully received.
Tim

Yes, you just need a battery charger and a way to "Hook up" to the post.

A dual charger would be better as it can charge both batteries.

Back