Limited Mfd Configuration

Rusty

VIP Member
I picked up my new T6 Transporter based campervan a week or so ago and I was surprised to not see a coolant temp readout available. As can be seen in the photo of my instrument console, I have no gauges inset into the spedo or rev counter but just a digital fuel level readout.

I have tried to find more options in the MFD using the two buttons on the wiper stalk as per the owner's manual but the only options I appear to have are the two memory options and outside air temp, speed or miles remaining to fuel refill. I don't appear to have the option to go into any sub menus or an option for engine oil temperature which would at least give me some hint to the running state of the engine at any particular time.IMG_3452.JPG

The owners manual I had with the vehicle is for a Transporter and Caravelle 11-2015 edition which is very similar to the manual hosted on this forum. Of course there is the normal caveat the VW info system menu depends on the vehicle electronics and the level of vehicle equipment.

Do any other forum members also have such a limited MFD configuration please or am I missing something?

Don’t personally have that setup but I thought you could hold in the button on the end of the stalk to access more stuff ?

That's what I expected by holding the button on the end of the stalk Pauly thanks but all it does is move to the next option.

Never seen that cluster before, what’s the trim spec of the van?

It definitely a startline Mark but I was hoping that it would be more configurable than the very limited one it appears to have.

It definitely a startline Mark but I was hoping that it would be more configurable than the very limited one it appears to have.
Ah, thats why its different from mine. Ignore my previous post as mine is a highline.

Just a follow up to my original post, I dropped in the local VW dealer yesterday and they confirmed there is no display available on my MFD for coolant temperature just warning lights. The first vehicle I have owned that has never had a coolant temperature gauge. Looks like the owner's manual that was supplied is out of date then!

Your not missing much ! - The temp gauge doesn't actually show you the correct temp anyway VW have built in a massive 'flat spot' so the gauge is pretty much useless anyway. Their is a graph floating around here somewhere.

Bit of a thread resurrection.

I too have the startline with temp warning lights only. Couple of Q’s...

- Can the basic MFDU be programmed to show oil temperature?

- Anyone fit an aftermarket gauge & sender? Simple to wire up but probably needs one of the big hoses intercepting with an in-line adaptor to dip the sender into coolant. Or is there a tapping in the block / head?

My other idea was to fit a capillary gauge and tape the sender to the outside of a hose using self amalgamating tape or hose repair tape. It wont be 100% accurate but once a norm is established then variances are obvious.

Any help / suggestions greatly appreciated
Ian

- Anyone fit an aftermarket gauge & sender? Simple to wire up but probably needs one of the big hoses intercepting with an in-line adaptor to dip the sender into coolant. Or is there a tapping in the block / head?

My other idea was to fit a capillary gauge and tape the sender to the outside of a hose using self amalgamating tape or hose repair tape. It wont be 100% accurate but once a norm is established then variances are obvious.
What about using van's built in sensors via OBD socket and use an Android device as a display. Only wire needed is to power up the display.
E.g. as ---> Carista - How I Done It -

EDIT: Interestingly engine oil temp is not available on T6 by using these gadgets.

Last edited:
as above, (@mmi )

you can use a £15 Carista Bluetooth OBD2 plugin adapter,

then use an APP on your phone called Torque (or any other)

If you have the Carista dongle then you can also use other 3rd party "APPS"

like this one - Torque, its been around for ages and works well with the Carista unit, it great for reading live data from the van

Lite - Free - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en_GB

Pro paid for - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_GB

heres a couplke of pics from the other day.

20190213_071425-jpg.38181
screenshot_20190213-081652_torque-jpg.38182
screenshot_20190213-081731_torque-jpg.38183
screenshot_20190213-081744_torque-jpg.38184
screenshot_20190213-081807_torque-jpg.38185

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Reactions: mmi
You don't even need the Carista one, I used a £5 ebay dongle with Torque on my T5

(Yes I know these screenshots are from DashCommand, I used both and didn't keep any screenshots from Torque)
img_8226.png
img_8227.png

Back