Lightning Leisure Awning Rail For Vw Oem Roof Rails

SENTINEL

T6 Guru
Can anyone tell me if this Awning Rail fits without having to trim the existing Spacers / Plastic Seals when using with VW OEM (Omtec) Roof Rails?
The alternative Camper Essentials one seems to require new, purpose designed Spacers.

I hope not, just bought one myself. Will fit it as soon as we get a dry day (in May probably!)

I am pretty certain we have that awning rail, and we definitely have Omtec roof rails - they fit together fine.

Pete

I am pretty certain we have that awning rail, and we definitely have Omtec roof rails - they fit together fine.

Pete
Thanks.....did you put anything between the rail and the roof gutter itself, to protect the paintwork, or just straight on?

Straight on I think. I made sure there were no sharp edges on the rail which could damage the paint.

Pete

I have this rail fitted with OEM roof rails but i used some threaded bar and nuts instead of the original bolts so the original rubber washers could be used without big dollops of sealer everywhere as suggested on here to stop any water leaking in. To answer your original question,it does fit without any trimming of the feet/spacers,hope this helps

It definitely fits.

I understand your concern from looking at it but the spacers have enough play in them to move towards the centre of the van allowing for the rail.

Just remember to seal the roof bars up with silicone to prevent leaks.

I have this rail fitted with OEM roof rails but i used some threaded bar and nuts instead of the original bolts so the original rubber washers could be used without big dollops of sealer everywhere as suggested on here to stop any water leaking in. To answer your original question,it does fit without any trimming of the feet/spacers,hope this helps

Thank you

It definitely fits.

I understand your concern from looking at it but the spacers have enough play in them to move towards the centre of the van allowing for the rail.

Just remember to seal the roof bars up with silicone to prevent leaks.
Thank you

Sorry, another question. On SWB the Roof Rails have 3 bolt fixings with sponge rubber washers that stick to the roof before fitting the Roof Rails. I assume that the awning rail would be positioned on top of these sponge rubber washers and then the Roof Rails with their Spacers fix on top of the awning rail, but what do people do about the 4th hole which is used by the awning rail but not the Roof Rails? Find another washer or ?

Hi @SENTINEL ,have you already fitted the roof rails or not? I ask because when i fitted my awning rail and roof bars at the same time,i re used the original rubber washers that were already under the roof bolts but used threaded bar and nuts instead of the original bolts. Apparently,the sponge washers that come with the rails are useless but the original rubber ones are decent. There is a thread on here decribing how to use threaded bar for fitting roof rails so that the original seal is maintained without having to put sealer in the threads. This is how i done mine and alls well up to now but obviously the sealer or no sealer is entirely up to you,hope this helps you

Hi @SENTINEL ,have you already fitted the roof rails or not? I ask because when i fitted my awning rail and roof bars at the same time,i re used the original rubber washers that were already under the roof bolts but used threaded bar and nuts instead of the original bolts. Apparently,the sponge washers that come with the rails are useless but the original rubber ones are decent. There is a thread on here decribing how to use threaded bar for fitting roof rails so that the original seal is maintained without having to put sealer in the threads. This is how i done mine and alls well up to now but obviously the sealer or no sealer is entirely up to you,hope this helps you

Thank you....no the roof bars not fitted yet....will fit the awning rail at the same time. Thanks for the tip about the threaded bar, I will see if I can find the info.

Back