Light bar in lower-grille

Gobi

VIP Member
Hi, new user here from Finland with 2015 T6 LWB Caravelle. Owned a 2010 T5.1 previously and changed it to T6. T6 has 47000km/29200miles.

I bought a Lazer Linear 12 Elite and used plate mount to attach it before leaving to Lapland for hiking trip. But now it seems that it´s throwing too much light right in front of the car. So lifting it from the plate under the badge would move that bright spot more ahead. Any tips how to attach it, holes to bumber or to the grill? It seems that there is any metal behind that bumber plastic.

img_20190914_110949__01-jpg.51740

When I bought my van it came with a wider LED unit cut into the lower grille. It was mounted on hidden brackets to the crash bar behind the grille. Worked fine for illumination but I removed it as I didn’t like the ‘motorway maintenance’ look.

When I bought my van it came with a wider LED unit cut into the lower grille. It was mounted on hidden brackets to the crash bar behind the grille. Worked fine for illumination but I removed it as I didn’t like the ‘motorway maintenance’ look.

I try to avoid too that off-road/maintenace look, that's why I chose Linear model. It is slimmer than those cheaper, bulky bars and puts out more than enough light with those LED headlights. After looking disassembly diagrams in ELSA, it seems that only metal is behind that lower bumber part. Crash bar of some kind. Only way to mount it below badge is to fabricate a stand which mounts to that crash bar and some place in upper radiator mount. Other option would be glueing support aluminium sheets behind bumber with strong chassis glue and building that bracket from those on. I will look more to these.

Last edited:
Don't know if this os the right place for this question

I am undecided on what to do with regards headlights so as a temporary solution I am thinking an LED light bar mounted on Number plate bracket. I have commercial bumper with the radar in.

How close can something be mounted to it without it affecting the radar?

Cheers

Tiff

I think you have two things to consider, First is not protruding above the opening in the grill but secondly and more difficult is interference from noisy LEDs which has not been tested.
I would make sure the light bar has a metal enclosure for starters.
I assume you will only use these on high beam so you won’t be following anyone with them on so the radar isn’t doing anything for you at that time.

yer I like em, It's a temp solution til i make my mind up on headlights, I can't justify 700 sheets!

this would be 50 quid and see me through this winter.

Well I put em on today. Started at 9am finished in the dark in, so no finished pictures. No interference with radar at low round town speeds with LEDs off.

First time I've done anything electrical in a car. All working fine switch is piggy backed off the infotainment fuse (permant live). Could there be a problem of battery drain with it been permanent?

IMG_20191222_095133~2.jpg

Reactions: P20
Everything radar wise is working as far as I can test. Get the little warning when travelling 'too close' on the motorway. No warnings when there is nothing in front so all in all pretty successful. My only concern is the bull barry thing covering the number plate from a high angle (smart motorway gantry or what not).

First time i've done any electrical stuff on a vehicle.

Everything radar wise is working as far as I can test. Get the little warning when travelling 'too close' on the motorway. No warnings when there is nothing in front so all in all pretty successful. My only concern is the bull barry thing covering the number plate from a high angle (smart motorway gantry or what not).

First time i've done any electrical stuff on a vehicle.

Could you not have fitted the bull bar and lights further up? ie at the bottom of the grill? That way you should get better illumination without as much dazzle for oncoming traffic? As a bonus it would never interfere with the radar and avoid the smart motorway camera problem.

Have you got any photos of them working?

I'll grab some this week.

Could have mounted higher, but the bull bar is a number plate mounting thingy I think it would have looked mental up there. A guy on face book has cut some wow LEDs into his grille like the set up Lazer have, gonna see how they turn out and possibly steel the idea.

Back