Levelling when camping - Ramps, waffle boards, gear selection!

Couple of standard ramps are all we have ever needed.

Pete

So.. My question isn't answered on this thread yet. I have 20" wheels with wide tyres and standard ramps are 205mm. Is it safe to use them with 245+ tyres for a couple of nights?

... I have considered looking into making some external storage brackets under the van.

The jumbo version of ramps can be huge to store, so interested if anyone did find a way to store them underbody or something? They could curve round the wheel arches inside the van, where I'm thinking of boxing in.

So.. My question isn't answered on this thread yet. I have 20" wheels with wide tyres and standard ramps are 205mm. Is it safe to use them with 245+ tyres for a couple of nights?

The jumbo version of ramps can be huge to store, so interested if anyone did find a way to store them underbody or something? They could curve round the wheel arches inside the van, where I'm thinking of boxing in.
If you haven’t lowered the van is should be possible to make brackets and store them under the body, I have a few jobs to do under my van soon so I’ll take a look.
I’ve rarely needed them but it’s good to have them when you do. I’ve always got a pair of waterproof overalls packed so I can shimmy under if I need to.
I hate taking up internal storage space with stuff that doesn’t get used.

If you haven’t lowered the van is should be possible to make brackets and store them under the body, I have a few jobs to do under my van soon so I’ll take a look.
I’ve rarely needed them but it’s good to have them when you do. I’ve always got a pair of waterproof overalls packed so I can shimmy under if I need to.
I'll be interested in this. Will have to get a jumbo set in the meantime.

Edit: had an offer accepted on some jumbo 260mm secondhand Fiamma ramps, so now got the widest set on the way

Last edited:
Found a neat trick and insight. I figured I didn't want to jack up the side of the van with the sliding door as would make it hard to step out, and also wanted to keep the ramps simple, so parked with the spirit level showing as level front to back, but with the offside facing down slope. Hence simple roll up to first level on ramps to make the van level. However, didn't consider the direction of the sun, which some might..

PXL_20210501_153133403.MP.jpg

Has to be said I was all set to get vb air but have been camping since just after lockdown 1 last year (when we could finally take our new van out) and have never needed any form of levelling. We usually wild camp or stay in country pub car parks.

Has to be said I was all set to get vb air but have been camping since just after lockdown 1 last year (when we could finally take our new van out) and have never needed any form of levelling. We usually wild camp or stay in country pub car parks.
We read the reviews about this slopey site, so it was worth it!

Well I had a look today and it would be possible to mount some brackets on the offside under the floor to store the chocks but I don‘t want to loose the ground clearance at mid point between the front and rear wheels.

Back