Leisure Battery Vs Electric Hook-up Vs Both

LuckyPants

Hi Guys,

I am about to have a Leisure battery in and the quote comes with electric hook-up. It's quite an expensive quote and I am wondering as it is just a day van without cooker etc. Do I actually need an electric hook up should the leisure battery not suffice?

I am interested in your experiences.
Of those of you that have both do any of you find yourself only using the leisure battery and very rarely the hook-up?
Have any of you with a day van only got the leisure battery and not the hook-up and found this to be fine/a mistake?

Much appreciated!!!!!!

You’re paying for some arctic flex cable, RCB/CU and a socket + inlet.. but also for a battery charger.
Ask them what spec charger they’ll be using - that’ll give you an idea if they’re overcharging or not.

Where are they placing the inlet (as in, are they cutting in-to and making good panelwork or will they just be bolting it down in the engine bay)?

Are they providing you with a hook-up cable?

Price up the parts and compare it to what they quote, before deciding. At least then you know if the difference is worth the hassle of installing it yourself or not. See mains hook up

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Adding to @Ads_Essex it depends on whT you want to do...

Do you have a kettle or coffee machine?

Does the misses want to use straighteners and hair dryer?

Kids need an xbox and tv?

If all you need is a few USB chargers and some LED lights maybe a Leisure battery & dc-dc charger will be ok.

If all you need is a few USB chargers and some LED lights maybe a Leisure battery & dc-dc charger will be ok.
I agree - I've only got a leisure battery and have no regrets. I'd have no use for electric hook up...except if camping for a few days, but I tend to be out driving/exploring and this charges my leisure battery so I've never needed it.

LuckyPants - I assume they'll be fitting a split charger with your leisure battery? (So it charges from running the engine). This is all I have but sometimes wish I had solar chargers too...

Hi Guys,

I am about to have a Leisure battery in and the quote comes with electric hook-up. It's quite an expensive quote and I am wondering as it is just a day van without cooker etc. Do I actually need an electric hook up should the leisure battery not suffice?

I am interested in your experiences.
Of those of you that have both do any of you find yourself only using the leisure battery and very rarely the hook-up?
Have any of you with a day van only got the leisure battery and not the hook-up and found this to be fine/a mistake?

Much appreciated!!!!!!
Hi. Hook up as a backup is always useful as you grow with your van ( things change ) but in my early days I just used a cable real

2F6F6093-CE05-4BB2-B7DA-941B2E7A5DCF.jpeg

Well I'm only getting a few USB sockets in the back, do USB coffee machines and kettles exist? :D

I'm pretty sure you can't get USB Xboxes ;)

@VanDamMan But I appreciate what youre saying. I think I'll make my decision based on where they're proposing to put the inlet.

Well I'm only getting a few USB sockets in the back, do USB coffee machines and kettles exist? :D

I'm pretty sure you can't get USB Xboxes ;)
Simple answer..Yes..but take a long time to boil...I nearly always boil my water via a gas burner...more flexibility so can use it in the awning/tent :)

ps. As well as the bacon butties

I almost always use just the battery without the hook up...the roof mounted solar panel keeps my battery full so if anything i try and use just the battery to get the benefit out of it. i have a 2.5kw pure sine inverter which gets used to power the microwave, toaster and any other charging requirements, though most things charge with cigarette lighter sockets, including my TV so i find so only really stick the inverter on when required. i use gas to boil the kettle, but do have a small travel job that will run off the inverter/hookup should i not want to use the gas.

if i'm ever in one location for any length of time (occasionally if i'm at a motorport event for a week for example) i can just take the 13A plug out of the inverter and put it in to a 16A lead and can make use of the hookup on site for the 230v sockets in the van and also have a small optimax charger that tops up the leisure battery if required.

if you plan on sitting in the van, playing xbox and drinking coffee for hours on end, then perhaps a hookup would suit you, for me its just not required and like the stealth look with no obvious camper signs on the outside ;)

I almost always use just the battery without the hook up...the roof mounted solar panel keeps my battery full so if anything i try and use just the battery to get the benefit out of it. i have a 2.5kw pure sine inverter which gets used to power the microwave, toaster and any other charging requirements, though most things charge with cigarette lighter sockets, including my TV so i find so only really stick the inverter on when required. i use gas to boil the kettle, but do have a small travel job that will run off the inverter/hookup should i not want to use the gas.

if i'm ever in one location for any length of time (occasionally if i'm at a motorport event for a week for example) i can just take the 13A plug out of the inverter and put it in to a 16A lead and can make use of the hookup on site for the 230v sockets in the van and also have a small optimax charger that tops up the leisure battery if required.

if you plan on sitting in the van, playing xbox and drinking coffee for hours on end, then perhaps a hookup would suit you, for me its just not required and like the stealth look with no obvious camper signs on the outside ;)
Got any more details one your setup? sounds ideal, I like the idea of a solar panel stick to the roof etc. Apologies for the thread hijack!

Got any more details one your setup? sounds ideal, I like the idea of a solar panel stick to the roof etc. Apologies for the thread hijack!

There isn't much more i can add, the solar panel was fitted by the previous owner i cant remember the exact wattage now but think its 200-250W? this feeds an MPPT Charge controller keeping a 110ah battery topped up. i added the inverter (one of these - 2500W 5000W Power Inverter 12V 240V Pure Sine Wave Converter UK Plugs EDECOA USB | eBay). most of the loads in the van are 12V fed from the leisure battery apart from the microwave (Buy Morphy Richards 800W Standard Microwave MM82 - Silver | Microwaves | Argos) and a couple of sockets fed from the inverter which is only turned on when required. All in with lights and switches id guess there is less than a grand in it...suits my use perfectly!

Back