Leisure Battery - Maximum Dimensions for under seat use?

Sean O Leary

T6 Guru
Hi, so my van originally came with a double seat which had the factory fitted second battery mounted on a metal tray underneath. I have now fitte single seat but the battery is too high when on the support tray as it catches the running rails. Do people generally fit the batttery onto a tray which fits into bolts where the seat is bolted to floor, makes a great safety addition. Can second battery be ordered from factory with a single passenger seat option if so the correct bracket must be available!!
Also on another note I am going to install an inverted which I purchased from Travelvolts under the driver seat, what size cable should be used from the battery to supply inverter and what fuse rating for a 300W inverter, maybe travel bolts will see this and reply as he was very helpful if not and I don't see answer here I will give him a call
Thanks again

@travelvolts
There are downloadable instrustion on Martyn's website which may assist.
As for battery fixing, mine is on the deck but have fabricated a angle bracket to secure the battery..
Travelvolts also sell securing straps for batteries.

That's great thanks for your reply I'll have a chat with martin tomorrow. Gonna wrap it up now for tonight, my wife says it's like I'm haveing and afair with a van. My reply was an affair with a woman would cost an aweful lot less money and a lot less time consuming, I could just pop round once a week for half hour!! So now she is happy with me working away on the van again

I am about to press the button on a leisure battery purchase.

Does anyone know what the maximum dimensions for a battery are when used under the driver's seat i.e. what will fit?

I'm looking at one of these Xplorer 90AH 12V AGM Leisure Battery - Alpha Batteries

Pretty sure the height and width are ok, my main concern is the 353mm length

TIA

Hi @Sjacko20 I could do with that picture....I fitted one to my van last weekend, but upright...haven't added the leads yet, but it looks high...can these batteries be laid on the side?

Thanks

The Ring will lay on the floor in front of the battery. Mount the fuse box on the upper parts of the seat base.

If it is an AGM battery it is no problem lying on it’s side from what I understand.

Not really. I also had a battery laying on it's side for 2 years and it failed...
I contacted Victron Energy and they tell me that even though AGM/GEL batteries are enclosed, they do not have the mechanical design to be installed in any other position than upright.
The plates "hang" onto the minus/plus poles so if placed on it's side the plates lay on each other, which in the long run will cause failure.

Een AGM accu is theoretisch een dichte accu maar heeft niet het mechanisch ontwerp voor een andere positie dan rechtop.
De platen “hangen “normaliter aan de gemeenschapelijk min/plus. Bij liggend op de zij liggen de palten als het ware op elkaar, dat zal op termijn een korte levensduur veroorzaken.

This would be information specific to Victron batteries. It is also perceived wrongly. For the plates to lay on each other the battery would have to be placed on its end, not on its side. The Leoch range does not suffer in this way and we have many hundreds in the field, most of which are on their sides and have not a single premature failure.

Back