Leisure Battery Location?

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I am in the process of planning my leisure battery, putting it under a seat with the dc-dc charger and a consumer unit.

Location being the main conundrum.

My thoughts are:
1. Under the passenger seat leaving the option of putting a heater under the drivers seat.
2. Under the drivers seat, in the future putting the heater under the passenger seat.
3. Under the drivers seat and putting the heater under the floor. Allowing a sub upgrade in the future under the passenger seat.

Are there any advantages to putting the leisure battery/dc-dc charger/consumer unit under one seat or the other. I think all 3 will fit under 1 seat.

Is the heater better under the floor or a seat? If seat, which one.

I have searched and fond threads on installs etc, but not one discussing the merits of placement of the bits and pieces.

My heater is below the floor, and to my mind must reduce noise in the cabin. Also frees up space.

I’ve got the leisure battery and DC-DC charger under the driver’s seat.

My leisure battery is under the drivers seat, this is because my passenger seat is a swivel seat so it would not fit under it.
I have the passenger seat as a swivel so I can use my van as a mobile office using the table that attaches to the passenger B Post.
fullsizeoutput_1fa3.jpeg

My leisure battery, Ctek dc-dc charger, Victron solar charger, Votronic starter battery trickle charger, and a small fuse box are all under my driver’s seat. It is a factory swivel too so it can be done. My heater is under the van, with the intake in the driver’s step and the output behind the driver’s seat, not sure I’d want it in the van as I’d imagine it would be noisier. My consumer unit and mains charger are in one of the cupboards, but I don’t use them since getting solar.

Same set up as posts above and probably how Red line convert all of their campers but with the twin seat on a swivel and the fridge right behind the drivers seat there's no point in the seat turning.

As Andy's pointed out there's still plenty of room with a leisure battery in place, with the heater under the floor the air in is drawn from the cabin through the drivers step and comes out on the floor between the fridge and rear of the drivers seat... thinking about it that means a stray fart would keep going around until filtered out by human lungs but it would be a warm, quiet fug.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a few questions :)

What has anyone used, to actually secure the battery in place?

How do you secure all the chargers etc under the seat, are the fittings home made, I have seen a number of devices screwed to what looks like Plywood under the seat base, or is there a kit?

Thanks

I have only managed to find 2 battery fittings to secure them. 1 from travel volts and one from MVM.

My two leisure batteries are external, under the floor. Done by New Wave Custom Conversions, not sure if they make or buy in the mounting bracket.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a few questions :)

What has anyone used, to actually secure the battery in place?

How do you secure all the chargers etc under the seat, are the fittings home made, I have seen a number of devices screwed to what looks like Plywood under the seat base, or is there a kit?

Thanks
Mine came with factory fitted battery compartment. The other components I've either screwed to the inside of the seat base in appropriate places, or in the case of the Ctek to a homemade aluminium bracket (posh description of a bit of bent metal :D)

Just bumping this thread as trying to decide whether to put battery under passenger or driver seat.
@Skyliner33 what did you go for?

Are there benefits to either?

If I can't figure out how to get wallas duo and 130 rib bed it wiill have a diesel heater mounted under the van - is it normal for heat vent on driver seat base?

There is already quite a bit electrics for towbar and heated seats etc under passenger which theoretically can be moved under driver to go with a consumer unit.

PXL_20210123_135135732~3.jpg

Just bumping this thread as trying to decide whether to put battery under passenger or driver seat.
@Skyliner33 what did you go for?

Are there benefits to either?

If I can't figure out how to get wallas duo and 130 rib bed it wiill have a diesel heater mounted under the van - is it normal for heat vent on driver seat base?

There is already quite a bit electrics for towbar and heated seats etc under passenger which theoretically can be moved under driver to go with a consumer unit.

View attachment 103384
In the end, I went with the Consumer unit under the passengers seat as the lead from the hook up came that side, and also there was more space under the drivers seat for the battery cand all the rest of the 12V paraphernalia.

In the end, I went with the Consumer unit under the passengers seat as the lead from the hook up came that side, and also there was more space under the drivers seat for the battery cand all the rest of the 12V paraphernalia.
Cheers, do you have a diesel heater? How did that fit if so?

I have the same dilemma.

Im fitting a diesel heater under the van, with an outlet under the drivers, then out of the back.

Decided it would be better to have consumer unit and charger under drivers seat, then battery and DC DC charger under the passenger.

But I still have all those plugs that are in the picture.
What has anyone else done with them?

But I still have all those plugs that are in the picture.
What has anyone else done with them?
I'm relocating them orange one under driver seat this is aftermarket towbar power i believe and is just long enough to move without faffing on. The blue loom is from factory and i don't have option of moving unless I do lots of work. I think i can fit battery, charger, dc dc and shunt in with it.

@SB6 this was my plan using driver seat for most bits. The way i see it i had some other connectors in there and it worked so give it a go!

Edit - my fuse box is now going to the rear of van so only one lead running out and earthing cenrally at back of van on vw earth point.

PXL_20210123_154946161.jpg

So it just about works so far. Tomorrow will be the test to see if everything else fits in too.

PXL_20210213_164746256.jpg

Tried things up for size and looks like it will work.

Thats battery, charger, dc to dc, shunt and protector in place. Need to make a simple ply frame to holder charger and dc to dc in place.

For the shunt and protector i want to find some adhesive gum to stick to base (or bolt through existing holes)
PXL_20210214_161531887.jpg

Under driver is just the consumer unit so loads of spce if need anything else in future and for heating duct if required.
PXL_20210214_161540103.jpg

Back