Leisure battery discharging...

Henrik

Hello all,

Please can someone help me with an electrical problem? I am in the process of converting a T6 and have been fitting a AGM 110Ah leisure battery with an Aplemail MPPT DC/DC charger, a Viltron IP65 12/7 BT mains charger and a CTEK Battery Sense unit (to allow convenient monitoring of battery charge state). So far, the leisure battery has been running 2 LED's I have fitted in the tailgate, that will come on only when you open the tailgate (big thanks to Travelvots for his advice on how to make this work) and that is it. I have noticed the battery lost its charge quicker than 2 LED should warrant, but thought nothing of it, until the other day... As I was having a diesel heater fitted, I connected the mains charger to fully charge the battery. Drove the van twice doing the day and by midnight the battery was showing to 100% / 13.81V. The next morning it had dropped to 35% / 11.17V... The low voltage was confirm by the guy fitting the heater... As they sell Viltron products as well we had a quick chat about the low battery issues I have. When I collected the van mentioned the 2 tailgate LED's has flickered when they should not have been and that this had led him to suspect a loose ground wire. He found it under the driver seat, it was the "fat" one connected to the leisure battery. He then said he would think the battery issue was now resolved, but...
to cut a long story short. I can charge the battery fully up via the mains charger. Disconnect it and 8 hours later it has dropped to "critical" low, with no load on the battery (the heater fitter said he had had a amp meter on the battery all day and it was showing no load). I have read about "back drainage", so I have remover the "master" fuse on the cable to the fusebox (with only the 2 LED's connected). Charge up fully and monitor again the next morning. Battery still low. I have not removed all the fused from the van battery to to DC/DC charger and am in the process of charging up the leisure battery. On a different note, this seems to take forever... I appreciate a 7amp charger is not the most powerfull, but I have not seen it charge with more that a few amps (2amps or so) and it drop the current very quickly to 1.2 - 0.5 and then 0.2 amp ever with the battery only at 70%.
I don't really want to move on install the remaining light, sockets, fridge etc until I have worked out why the battery drops so quickly for no apparent reason.
Any input, suggesting etc would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Henrik

P.S. I have a PDF doc with all the readings, but no idea how to attach it here. :)

I think I worked out how to post a file... that is a result! Now just need to sort out the battery!!

Attachments

• Battery issues.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 10
Don't overlook the obvious, have you had the battery checked ?

That would be next on the list I guess... It is a brand new battery (or was in July when I bought it), but guess it could still be dodgy!
As it is an AGM battery, I have no idea how I can check it... other than perhaps put a load on it, and time it till flat... but I am sure there must a better way?

Take it to a battery shop they will test it for free it's not unheard of to get a faulty one another member had the same issue
If the battery checks out ok then you can start disconnecting stuff and check for any parasitic drains but checking the battery has to be the first step for me

Hi Pauly, thanks a lot for your replies... Having had another night of dropping, I have already disconnect everything - pulled the main fuse going to the fusebox (where only the LEDs were connected anyway) yesterday day, but that make no difference. This morning the fuses that connects the DC/DC charger was pulled, trying to isolate the leisure battery. If that fails I guess the battery will need to come out. Thanks again for your advise Pauly.

was that the end of the problem? . . .

was it the battery?

I seem to be having similar issues with a factory MOLL EFB+ leisure battery under the passenger bench.

Back