LED side bars

nigeltreves

Roofer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone. I have installed the above and as far as I can work out followed the instructions, but have got a problem. When the van is locked the LED ceiling lights and the side bar lights continue to glow. The side bar LEDs only work properly for about a second then go off. I thought it was a simple plug and play system. Its probably me that's simple. I am lost. I have no electrical experience what so ever but really wanted to do something myself for once. If anyone is willing to offer assistance I would be very gratefull.

How and where have you connected them ?
Are they genuine VW or copies ?

I have followed the instructions that were supplied with the kit and taken the supplied wires up to the courtesy light unit

What are these? Have you got a link? If they have a control circuit then maybe it takes a second for the capacitors to discharge and thats why you have a second delay in them going off?

They are genuine VW side bars with led puddle lights. The leds come on with the internal courtesy lights but go off almost immediately. The wiring supplied with the bars was connected to existing courtesy lights control in ceiling of cab with a supplied plug in kit

I think they are really nice very pleased with them, just cant/ don't understand whats gone wrong

Think I would first disconnect them to prove the interior lights go back to normal, if all ok then I would connect one bar at a time and see if one is faulty

Thanks. will give that a try. Also cant understand when van is locked the interior leds and side bar leds continue to faintly glow.The interior leds are additional, installed by Absolut5 and have worked fine since instalation

Right. Disconnected side bar lights, and internal courtesy and leds working fine. Connect side bars up one at a time and on locking/ unlocking puddle lights work on full power for about a second then turn off, even with internal lights still on with van not locked. With van locked ignition off, puddle lights are still on but faintly. with engine running puddle lights come on properly and stay on even with door shut

I've got these from factory as part of the sportline kit.

they wire via the floor grommet under seat base to interior curtsy light . . .

they had a Y cable splitter type thing,

they looked plug and play to me...

i think they may of had a fuse too?

i found the cabelig when i was doing the power feed to for the Dash-cam - 12v Aux Feed + 5xusb Charging From Aux Battery - Today's Install

mine come on with the curtsy lights . . . so when unlocking the van, the cursy light and side bars come on.

1589026407415.png

cam you post a few pics of the connections etc.

just found a better pic . . .

you can see the OEM 3pin connector . . . that would normally be plugged into the curtsy light.

so with the puddle light sidebars, the cables are run from the bars up the pillars to the middle . . . 2core cable.

then to the fuse . .

then to the Y-piece cable thing.

so it looks like they are just tapping off the curtsy feed and bcm ground . . .

see here for more about the colours and what they do.

20180511_124936.jpg20180511_124929.jpg

looks same as mine . . . so whats it doing?

these are 12v LEDs i think , in the bars . . .

mine come on with the interior cursy lights . . .

i have the under dash LEDs too. . . .

they all com on together and fade out together..

Thought it looked the same. Im at a loss as to whats not working. Will wait till lockdown is over then find an auto electrician.
Many thanks for the help.

Back