LED self-levelling help!

Ferret99

VIP Member
I have the LED lights on my T6. I've not driven much at night but last night drover down to the Alps. I discovered that the self levelling has levelled my lights to somewhere about tree height. Literally, gturning full beam on illuminates the tops of the tress but doesn't change the road illumination! Queue getting flashed all the way, even with the travel mode on, thankfully it was quiet.

Does anyone know how to reset or adjust the self-levelling? Should I call VW assist out?

The levelling system is driven by sensors level sensors front and rear, you could have a look underneath to see if one has dropped off/dislodged/broken as this would affect the levelling
Check to see if it's both headlights or just one side as I think they level independently so would give you an idea which side the sensor is playing up but ultimately think your going to have to go for VW assist

Thanks. The suspension was lowered by the dealer pre-delivery, so maybe it wasn't set up correctly afterwards with the sensors?

Should not make a difference if it's lowered or not. The auto leveller in the back o/s rear suspension area. Turning engine off and on auto levels again.

A certain VW dealer in Bristol lowered my T5 and never connected the auto levelling sensor back together.

When the suspension was dropped it simply pulled a small metal tube on the sensor apart and they never connected it back together.

I'm not sure if you anti-roll bars were changed at the time of lowering, but the rear sensor is connected to the anti-roll bar mount.

Wouldn't have thought the anti roll bar was altered. Just the standard VW springs fitted by the dealer. When I very first got it I recall thinking that the lights were rubbish as they seemed to be aiming at the floor, now the poking at the sky. Which is fine for me as I see everything but it seems others aren't keen! Will get it booked in.

@Ferret99 , be careful if in Europe, if others are flashing you up, you could land up with an on the spot fine etc, as it's illegal to dazzle others. The Gendarme are particularly observant of missing beam deflectors etc, and pull us Brits at the tolls, so if in doubt, use the fogs and sidelights at night until you get it checked out.. But as a VW dealer has fitted VW parts, you Have the right to access VW assist, and this works in Europe as well.

Lowered my van recently. 180ps T6
Only two sensors, offside back and offside front with factory LED.
If you don't disconnect the rear sensor arm before lowering I think you'd snap it off as you have to disconnect the shock and lower both sides right down at the same time (or disconnect sway bar)
Mines down 50mm on coilovers and the levelling is still spot on.

Anyone know exactly where these sensors are and if they have a plug that needs plugging back in? Mine level when I turn the engine on but when I start driving they kind of float around going up and down. When I brake they go low when I accelerate they point up to the trees.

I had the van in for suspension work and I’ve contacted them to say something isn’t right but I thought if it’s just a plug I may be able to just doing it myself. Cheers

Is it factory LEDs?

Post a pic...

If so there is one sensor per axle on the drivers side..

The go from the body to the axle and measure the ride height front and rear.

How much drop did you go for?

You may need to recalibrate the level setting? . . . VCDS.

They are here, and look like this...

But on drivers side.....

Screenshot_20200827-092140_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20200827-092132_eBay.jpg

here you go . . .

this van,

those lights,

them sensors . .

20180418_130657.jpg20180418_130132.jpg20180418_130756.jpg

Top man I’ll have a look later.

It’s had air suspension.. so I’m wondering if they have forgotten to clip them back in maybe?

like I said they level up when you put the ignition on then when you pull way they float upwards and when you brake the float back down. I’ll have a peek under the van when I get a chance.

im not sure the OEM sensors and brackets can deal with the extreams of airbag levelling and drops?

is the van slammed?

it might be the case that you have to leave the sensors disconnected from the axles and taped up at the mid point?

it depensds on the travel from full high to full low.

if its too much it will just break the sensors . . .

1598521040804.png

im not sure the OEM sensors and brackets can deal with the extreams of airbag levelling and drops?

is the van slammed?

it might be the case that you have to leave the sensors disconnected from the axles and taped up at the mid point?

it depensds on the travel from full high to full low.

if its too much it will just break the sensors . . .

View attachment 82880
The OEM sensors can be used with air at extreme low (aired out) hoever they do need a slight modification to that green bit.

I’m not driving aired out just driving at that height in the picture above. It wasn’t a problem before the air which made me guess that it may not be connected..

do you guys know what I’m looking for under there? I’m hoping it’s just hanging off and I clip it back on..
should it be set half way up that green bit?

why would that cause the light beam to float around while driving?

Back