LED Interior Cargo Lights - How I Done It.

Hi there.
With regards to the above diagram how is the distribution board controlled? Does it have switches like a control panel or is it literally a junction box?
My immediate thoughts are that you won't be able to turn the lights off if the doors are open or have been opened unless you turn the ignition, lock the van or wait for it to time out. Happy to be corrected as its been a while since I worked my lighting out. Admittedly this isn't a massive issue but it may not be what you are after.

Hiya, thanks for the reply. Yes the distribution box has a control panel where the circuit those lights are on can be turned off, or all the power to the lights can be switched off at a main switch.

However thinking about what you've said - would it work better if the OEM positive went to the normally open position and the power from the CBE distribution box goes to the normally closed position?

Hey all - I ran out of time for now, for sorting this out in the end - so I've just added an additional separate led light, powered from the bcm live and timed negative. Works great and the kids can now see what they're doing in the morning when the doors open. However, I would like to add a switch to replace the one the van originally had that acts in the same way, consisting of 'on from door - off - on override', all just powered from the OEM wiring. Could I ask what switch would I need for this, is it just any simple 3 way switch?

Thanks again for the advice.

lets see if we can help @Jackham

1608744006676.png

Hi there. I’m looking at putting led strips in my van off the existing light in the back but I want three switches I have the three wires coming out the light and have three on-auto-off three pin switch’s. could you show me a diagram of the wiring please. Thanks Jack.

hes got these bits:

1608744033940.png

and had this diagram . .

1608744063589.png

im thinking we are looking at the same as this: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/led-rear-interior-lights-how-i-done-it.8492/post-171777

Just added a 14w LED spotlight near the back doors in my T6 van for night working by following this post.
My spotlight had a red wire which I spliced into the red/black (BMC timed +12v) and a black wire spliced into brown/red (BCM switched 0v).
Nothing fancy but it works a treat. Thanks for the guide. :thumbsup:

It is not often I drive my van at night, so I only noticed recently that my rear led's flick on briefly when in door mode (with the mosfet setup) when the van engine restarts as part of the auto stop/start function. The front driver/passenger lights do not light up with the auto start.

Has anyone else noticed this? @Mccoatup ?

Can anyone recommend a mosfet board to solve flickering leds when on the door mode in the "off" mode? And am I right in thinking a relay is the only simple solution if you also want it work off leisure batteries?

In my case its more like a disco but yes dim flashing (I'm still in the process of fitting, only discovered when the light timed out)

Can anyone recommend a mosfet board to solve flickering leds when on the door mode in the "off" mode? And am I right in thinking a relay is the only simple solution if you also want it work off leisure batteries?

yes, MOSFET board solves the flickering leds and works with leisure battery - see post #55

Simon

In my case its more like a disco but yes dim flashing (I'm still in the process of fitting, only discovered when the light timed out)
can you get a video clip of it?

maybe try the resistor mod first? . . . the move over to a MOSFET driver board.

yes, MOSFET board solves the flickering leds and works with leisure battery - see post #55
Simon

All the ebay links from other posts have stopped working! They also seem to only work from leisure battery where I'd ideally like a setup like the relay setup a few posts back where the lights operates from the van power like normal, but can also be supplied from another switch via the leisure battery

can you get a video clip of it?

maybe try the resistor mod first? . . . the move over to a MOSFET driver board.

I didn't take one when laying out the lights, and I was hoping to sort this before installing the roof, (its wood so its not so easy to remove as normal headlining) I can try the resistor trick but I'd have to buy resistors and being in lockdown amazon makes that pricey for one or two (I mean yes I can get 1000 resistors for a tenner, but when you only need one or two )

All the ebay links from other posts have stopped working! They also seem to only work from leisure battery where I'd ideally like a setup like the relay setup a few posts back where the lights operates from the van power like normal, but can also be supplied from another switch via the leisure battery

I didn't take one when laying out the lights, and I was hoping to sort this before installing the roof, (its wood so its not so easy to remove as normal headlining) I can try the resistor trick but I'd have to buy resistors and being in lockdown amazon makes that pricey for one or two (I mean yes I can get 1000 resistors for a tenner, but when you only need one or two )
try here:

1614161136033.png

Inspired again by one of the amazingly detailed @Dellmassive threads, and frustrated by the lack of light in the back of a PV, I thought I'd do the same. £25 for 6 off turned aluminium flush lamps from the 'bay. All fitted in the roof panels of the back of the van.

I just wanted to augment the existing courtesy lamps, so wired in parallel with the existing two lamps in the back of a PV. That also made it easier to stick in, and will allow me to take down the two hardboard linings independently again if needed.

Roof lining down, cut some holes;

20210227_100950.jpg

Having my work checked...

20210227_112238.jpg

Desired result.

20210227_195131.jpg

+++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++

Inspired again by one of the amazingly detailed @Dellmassive threads, and frustrated by the lack of light in the back of a PV, I thought I'd do the same. £25 for 6 off turned aluminium flush lamps from the 'bay. All fitted in the roof panels of the back of the van.

I just wanted to augment the existing courtesy lamps, so wired in parallel with the existing two lamps in the back of a PV. That also made it easier to stick in, and will allow me to take down the two hardboard linings independently again if needed.

Roof lining down, cut some holes;

View attachment 106004

Having my work checked...

View attachment 106005

Desired result.

View attachment 106006

Well done, it looks great.

Sooo much better than the standard lighting, and what's needed in the back of a working PV.

Did something stupid, saved by a fuse, thank you fuse SC17.

Last edited:
Sorry if this info has already been provided but it’s a bit like trying to read in a foreign language and may need it explained again due to my lack of electrical knowledge!!

I’m not totally useless as managed to wire in new leisure battery, Ctek 250, mains hook up, dc/dc charger and fit steps with led lights into courtesy loom but feeling a bit confused about the rest of the lighting !!

I want to install colour changing led lights in the floor area of row 2 such that these come on when the doors are opened and then go off when I start the engine but also have them controlled by a switch. (Recognising that these will be coming off the starter battery but these are only likely to be on when driving and I have kids in the van- not often!)

I also want to do away with the existing ceiling courtesy lights in the rear (they are just ugly !) and put in 4 spots and have them on a on/offdimmable switch mounted on the passenger B pillar and D pillar. Not wanting them coming on with the door.

Would I just reroute the courtesy light wires to provide power to the led strips in row 2 (routing down either side B pillar) and wire up the spots on a separate loom to the leisure battery?

Is this as easy as it sounds or are there any pitfalls with doing this or anything else I need to think about ?

(T5 2015 LWB high line panel van)
many thanks
Fiona

Back