LED Headlamps too low after lowering van

Sindre

I have a problem with my LED headlights pointing straight down after I lowerd the van on some B14s. Did not have that problem with any of my BMWs with xenon lights. I have checked that the sensors are OK, but I think that they might need some shorter struts because the van is so low and might be maxing out the travel on the sensors (look at photo). Have this happend to anyone else? I adjusted the lights as far up as they can go for now, but they still dont go as high as they should.

20200331_171231.jpg

Hi, you shouldn't need to modify the sensors at all. Many of us run B14s at their lowest setting with LED lights with no problems. For example, I have B14s, I've removed the rear adjuster rings and fitted machined front top mounts, so I'm about 12mm lower than the 'normal' lowest setting. My LED headlights are fine and have loads of adjustment left.

Have you got access to Carista or VCDS or something similar to scan for fault codes? It may be that a fault has developed somewhere with one of the sensors or the control module, or even the headlights themselves.

Are they both aiming too low or is it just one of them?

Have you removed and refitted the sensors or are they still factory fitted ??

Hi guys must apologise for my naivety and silly question but here goes.

My van has the factory LED lights which seem to have really poor dipped range. On main beam they are great but driving normally it seems so short feels dangerous.

I have had LED before on cars with the auto level feature but in old fashion terms I feel like I need to raise them up.

Is this normal? Any advice as always greatly appreciated.

That's odd.. my LEDs are amazing, I've never noticed an issue.

P.S. Don't apologise, never a silly question!

Hi guys must apologise for my naivety and silly question but here goes.

My van has the factory LED lights which seem to have really poor dipped range. On main beam they are great but driving normally it seems so short feels dangerous.

I have had LED before on cars with the auto level feature but in old fashion terms I feel like I need to raise them up.

Is this normal? Any advice as always greatly appreciated.

Your 100% sure they are factory LEDs? Only, this is the first time I've ever seen this posted as a problem.
I have factory LEDs and they are fantastic.

Would be so embarrassing if they weren’t.

I only assumed as they have the auto level when I fire up and also adjustment for the trips abroad.

It's a problem you used to get with some xenons, where you had superb light and then an immediate cutoff due to the shutter, and I once needed the level setting properly from new (in a VW funnily enough). Could be you need them adjusting.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Main beam is amazing bright white and dipped is bright also great however feels like 7ft then pitch black.

I'd raise the beam up - sounds like its too low , couple of turns with an allen key should do the trick.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Main beam is amazing bright white and dipped is bright also great however feels like 7ft then pitch black.
I would take it to an MOT testing centre and get them to adjust the beam height for you. That way you can make sure it's been done correctly and there's no guess work, but importantly it'll mean you aren't blinding oncoming traffic. Most places will only charge a few quid or so to do that for you.

Thanks again.

I assumed with the auto height adjustment then all should be correct.

So from what you are saying the fixed height can be manually adjusted under the bonnet?

I'm surprised as everyone. I was honestly off to write about 10km! In jest obvs. Mine are very good though.

Thanks again.

I assumed with the auto height adjustment then all should be correct.

So from what you are saying the fixed height can be manually adjusted under the bonnet?
You can manually adjust the height of the LED lights under the bonnet. On each headlight on top is a round white circle with a hex Alan key slot that will adjust the up and down of each headlight.

have you lowered the van at all? I’m at the extreme end of the lowering and this has caused the sensors for the auto levelling to go nuts.. we had to calm them down In VCDS then I had to manually tweak them to get them perfect. Is your auto levelling working? When I unplugged my sensor it dropped the beam very low! I could only see around 5ft in front of me.

It seems strange your having issues with the factory ones! They are some of the best lights I’ve used. If you have the OEM ones then I’d get VW to have a look at it.

Agreed with all of the above the T6 LEDs are one of the best headlights out there. Both on dip and main.

If local to us pop in and we will check on our MOT beam setter and set up correctly as required

Thanks for the info @Jayjmac

The van is standard height at the moment. On bumpy/hilly country lanes I have noticed the self levelling moving around. I have never noticed this on previous cars I have owned although I appreciate there is so much more movement on the van.

I am a bit cautious about using it at the minute now the nights have drawn in.

I will definitely get them adjusted up next week and checked at an Mot station, hopefully then I can monitor the sensor.

Once again thanks everyone for putting time in to reply.

Agreed with all of the above the T6 LEDs are one of the best headlights out there. Both on dip and main.

If local to us pop in and we will check on our MOT beam setter and set up correctly as required
Another thing on the list... ;)

Hey Everyone and Happy new year

I have factory fitted LEDS with a van thats lowered on Solows all the way down with some mods

My lights are now so high and blinding most drivers so much im being flashed ( not in the good way )

Anyone have any mods i could do to help with the level sensors

Thanks

Hey Everyone and Happy new year

I have factory fitted LEDS with a van thats lowered on Solows all the way down with some mods

My lights are now so high and blinding most drivers so much im being flashed ( not in the good way )

Anyone have any mods i could do to help with the level sensors

Thanks
I believe you can change the links that connect the height sensors to the axle. I’ve merged this with an existing post - see above.

I guess the level sensors would need re-calibrating. I wouldnt have thought they would dazzle unless the rear is lower.

Back