LED headlight bulb legalities

Was looking at installing/upgrading to LED DRL etc but then came across this "How to fit LED lighting to your car legally - Motoring Advice and News"have the rulings been revised or going by this LED'S are illegal unless original equipment,and what way would your insurance be affected if making a claim?Anyone any ideas.
As far as I can see that article is about fitting LED bulbs in ordinary headlights, which is illegal.
Retrofitting OEM headlights and all the autolevelling kit as per OEM is (and I stand to be corrected) legal.

Skyliner33 I think you are spot on,if the headlight units have been manufactured and passed to all the current standards I say its legal and even as it says that a factory fitted unit if the leds go faulty the complete unit has to be changed...WOW. Interesting to hear how many members have purchased led bulbs and stuck them in various front and rear lights unaware its illegal.

And why so many companies producing LED canbus error free bulbs if its illegal to fit for road use or perhaps quite a few do not tell you that.I know Halfords make a point of saying.

Skyliner33 I think you are spot on,if the headlight units have been manufactured and passed to all the current standards I say its legal and even as it says that a factory fitted unit if the leds go faulty the complete unit has to be changed...WOW. Interesting to hear how many members have purchased led bulbs and stuck them in various front and rear lights unaware its illegal.
And why so many companies producing LED canbus error free bulbs if its illegal to fit for road use or perhaps quite a few do not tell you that.I know Halfords make a point of saying.
Many people choose to run those bulbs, even knowing that it's illegal to do so. Some may not realise, but a lot of people do. As for the manufacturers/retailers of the bulbs, well, if there's a market, they'll make and sell them. It's a subject that I find interesting though, a correctly adjusted beam from a super bright LED bulb in a projector headlight can be safer than a badly adjusted beam from a standard bulb. Any headlight bulb shining directly into your eyes is dangerous, but a brighter bulb that is directed correctly at the road? To me, that's safer. It's a complex topic though.......

Has anybody fitted these ‘illegal’ LED bulbs and put their van through a MOT test? Outcomes?

You can have LED bulbs but only in the DLR lights,I did this about 18 months ago before I changed my van because I got fedup with keep changing the bulbs.
My brother is a mechanic and he checked with there mot tester and they said it’s fine.The whole issue is at night not the day which is why the DLR lights are ok because they go off when using the headlights.

Regardless of whether they pass an MOT or if they are legal the reason they are not legal is because experts have deemed them to be a potential road safety hazard.
There are many who think they can do it safely but how do you prevent the others from doing it unsafely?
It’s a bit like questioning the legal tyre wear limit, seat belt use or legal blood / alcohol limit. There‘s a reason the regulation is in place.

Grey areas with lots of things,although I have noticed reputable companies will state if road legal,off road use or shows etc so its really up to individual if willing to take a chance,my concern it would invalidate my insurance.

Reactions: DXX
I think everyone who runs non standard lamps (inc me), at least everyone on here, whether it's LED or HID knows they're not legal. It's a risk/reward you have to decide for yourself. I have LEDs in my H4s and every other external light, except the foglights, and it passed its MOT like that in Feb with no comment but I'm under no illusion that makes them legal.

I think everyone who runs non standard lamps (inc me), at least everyone on here, whether it's LED or HID knows they're not legal. It's a risk/reward you have to decide for yourself. I have LEDs in my H4s and every other external light, except the foglights, and it passed its MOT like that in Feb with no comment but I'm under no illusion that makes them legal.
And your insurance will still pay out in the event of an accident. It's a myth that it won't.

And your insurance will still pay out in the event of an accident. It's a myth that it won't.
One of the insurance requirements is to keep the vehicle in a road worthy condition, in the event of a serious accident (life changing injury / fatality) Police and Insurance engineers will make a thorough investigation.

One of the insurance requirements is to keep the vehicle in a road worthy condition, in the event of a serious accident (life changing injury / fatality) Police and Insurance engineers will make a thorough investigation.
Agreed, I've seen many accidents caused by various vehicle defects, often tyre related (commonly bald or under inflated tyres) and often fatal or life changing.
These are of course always investigated thoroughly. Insurance companies pay out, but might pay out less for the offending vehicle if the defect was a significant factor in causing the accident. The payout to the third party is not affected.
Causation is important. E.g. you are involved in a head on accident and later it is found that you have a defective nearside brake light, which clearly played no part in the accident. The insurance company cannot reduce your payout as the defect was not a relevant factor.
If a drivers illegal LED headlights dazzle another driver causing an accident the insurance company cannot withhold any payment to any third party, the illegal modification does not invalidate the insurance policy, even though they may reduce any payout to the offender.

I figure actually being able to see down the road using stock H4 headlights but with LED lamps outweighs the fear of driving into something and the subsequent insurance claim due to the feeble halogen light source of 55W halogen lamps.
If we're going to worry about LED lamps being road legal let's be honest enough with ourselves to include the rest of the multiverse of T6 modifications and ways we drive our vans from lead sled to swamper?

<<<<< I wouldn't wish to drive this at night without the LED bulbs! But that's a whole different ball game with 6V electrics, the OEM headlights were 35W!

Agreed, I've seen many accidents caused by various vehicle defects, often tyre related (commonly bald or under inflated tyres) and often fatal or life changing.
These are of course always investigated thoroughly. Insurance companies pay out, but might pay out less for the offending vehicle if the defect was a significant factor in causing the accident. The payout to the third party is not affected.
Causation is important. E.g. you are involved in a head on accident and later it is found that you have a defective nearside brake light, which clearly played no part in the accident. The insurance company cannot reduce your payout as the defect was not a relevant factor.
If a drivers illegal LED headlights dazzle another driver causing an accident the insurance company cannot withhold any payment to any third party, the illegal modification does not invalidate the insurance policy, even though they may reduce any payout to the offender.
I agree 100% with what you’ve said, contributory negligence is cropping up more and more and there are some lawyers getting fat defending cases In all walks of life.
The insurance company will pay out to third parties but there is nothing to prevent the victim pursuing a civil case for further damages.
IMO there is nothing more draining during night driving than be dazzled, one of the benefits of being sat higher up in a van.

I agree 100% with what you’ve said, contributory negligence is cropping up more and more and there are some lawyers getting fat defending cases In all walks of life.
The insurance company will pay out to third parties but there is nothing to prevent the victim pursuing a civil case for further damages.
IMO there is nothing more draining during night driving than be dazzled, one of the benefits of being sat higher up in a van.
I drive (or rather used to pre lockdown working from home) a lot country roads 'just' wide enough for two vehicles. Over the last winter or two I have noticed a marked increase in poorly fitted after market LED bulbs. It has to be said most, but by no means all, seem to be on pimped Hondas or last legs thrashers.

It is becoming increasingly safer just to slow right down or stop until the idiots pass rather than keep going with the glare blinding all other vision...

I was listening to an article last week and the issue of led and illegal headlights has been raised in parliament and is likely to legislated soon as it is claimed a number of accidents have been caused as a result.
I have to say that my issue is how many people drive with conventional lights that are poorly adjusted, I have been blinded more by this than aftermarket lights given that this is a part of the MOT.

I had been looking to change my T6 headlights to something a bit brighter but reluctant now given this information, I understand the caravelle H7 headlights were the way to go but they are like hens teeth and not significantly better as they still use the same reflector method.

I have the philips night breaker bulbs which are an improvement, I would be interested to know what other people are using and what improvements they found.
Carrots are still quite cheap even with the cost of living crisis!!!

Back