LED H11 Bulbs (front fogs)

Craigsom

VCDS User
T6 Guru
Hi all,

has anyone successfully fitted any super white LED bulbs in their front fog lights?
having LED headlights and these being a brilliant white, when the front fogs are on they look a dull yellow:thumbsdown:

any advise on what's good would be great thanks

T6 with cornering also fades up and down and the replacement LED must also be blanked off at the end and produce the light in the correct place for the reflector to work and throw the beam in the correct angle.

Phillips have been releasing these recently that look closest but not seen them in action to confirm that they will fade etc. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Lamps-Twin/dp/B00U2NHLTI

71EzUYrdHIL._SL1500_.jpg

I bought some from Ebay, can't find the item now think they were Argo . They look great with the same colour as the led headlights but they need the ballast resistor to stop them flickering .

I bought some from Ebay, can't find the item now think they were Argo . They look great with the same colour as the led headlights but they need the ballast resistor to stop them flickering .

did the resistors come with the bulbs or did you have to buy them separately ?

This is a pet hate of mine, please make sure you don't just trow any old led lamp in the fog lights.

Most do not reflect the light correctly because the light source is not in the right position relative to the reflector.
Also some cheap china crap out there also has an led behind a lens on the end pointing straight out and these are definitely not correct and will just dazzle other motorists.

A pet hate of mine is folks driving round with the fogs on when it aint foggy ! - As their not dipped you get dazzled no matter what bulb is fitted.

did the resistors come with the bulbs or did you have to buy them separately ?
The ballast resistor came with them, ready wired with the male and female connectors so they just connected in. I bolted the resistors to another piece of metal as a heat sink as they can get very hot! Without the resistor they come up as a bulb fail which I disabled with Vcds but then they were flickering so they do need that resistor .

A pet hate of mine is folks driving round with the fogs on when it aint foggy ! - As their not dipped you get dazzled no matter what bulb is fitted.
Proper fog lights are dipped, they are supposed to have a horizontal cut off like a dipped beam.. but inconsiderate types change the lamps and stop them working correctly..

Proper fog lights are dipped, they are supposed to have a horizontal cut off like a dipped beam.. but inconsiderate types change the lamps and stop them working correctly..

Sorry but they are NOT dipped. Fact - it's why they should only be used in reduced visibility.

If you want proof just turn yours on and stand on the side of the road- you will be dazzled as they are designed to spread the light outwards towards the kerb.

If they were dipped they wouldn't dazzle anyone- note the last sentence.

Text pinched from a website -

Front fog lamps

Front fog lamps illuminate the road ahead in foggy conditions, both at night and during the day. They give off a short, wide beam of light that is designed to shine through the fog, lighting up the area directly in front of the vehicle and helping the driver see the sides of the road better.
Fitting requirements

You may have up to two front fog lamps fitted to your vehicle. If your vehicle already has two front fog lamps fitted as original equipment, you cannot fit a second pair. Fog lamps should be wired so that they can be turned on or off independently of the headlamps.
Front fog lamps must be white or amber in colour. When purchasing front fog lamps, it is your responsibility to ensure they meet approved standards and are designed for that specific purpose. If in doubt, consult a vehicle lighting retailer.

On the road

Fog lamps should only be used when visibility is severely reduced, eg by snow or fog. It is against the law to use fog lamps in clear conditions (day or night) as they can dazzle other road users.

The highway code even states they dazzle!!!

They dazzle 'cus they're not dipped- the light spread is not concentrated but more diffuse , they're often angled outwards slightly so the hedgerows get lit up. The beam may look low in front but to the sides it's not, so if someone with fogs on turns in front of you you get the full effect.

HIGHWAY CODE.
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

If they didn't have a flat beam they would reflect off the fog in your face when driving that's why you don't use high beam.

All that Highway Code stuff is so out of date, LED DRLs can't be dipped or switched off and they dazzle.

We are aggressively agreeing over the fact that fogs should not be used when you can see a car in front or behind.

Guys,

I didn't want to cause any arguing over this, I just wanted some opinions on decent white LED cornering lights, so they match the headlights, after all it is a fashion show :thumbsup: I don't ever use them as fog lights as the head lights are good enough in the fog (plus we don't get much fog anyway)

Guys,

I didn't want to cause any arguing over this, I just wanted some opinions on decent white LED cornering lights, so they match the headlights, after all it is a fashion show :thumbsup: I don't ever use them as fog lights as the head lights are good enough in the fog (plus we don't get much fog anyway)
So if your not going to use them why change them?

Please don't buy cheap led ones just get some osram nightbreakers.

Last edited:
So if your not going to use them why change them?

Please don't buy cheap led ones just just get some osram nightbreakers.

I want to change them so the cornering lights look the same as the head lights (as mentioned above) :thumbsup:

Back