LED Front & Rear Indicators

Philouk

T6 Pro
Hi all
Is it possible to fit led front and rear indicator bulbs into a non led equipped van without load resistors etc.
and would they work?

Not tried it myself, but I'm 90% sure it will trigger the bulb out warning on the MFD.

The load resistor pack is there to simulate a standard bulb.

In a genuine LED headlight/taillight van the indicator bulbs are still incandescent filaments. You can swap them to LED but you will need load resistors to prevent the bulb out error on the dash.

On the subject of this.. Whilst I was fitting LED reverse-light bulbs earlier, I tried one in the indicator holder and it flashed at the correct rate... but the dash indicator-arrow flashed fast, the bulb out warning came up and the relay (assuming its a relay, unless it’s just a recorded sound now) made the quick clicking noise you’d associate with the bulbs flashing rapidly.

So a question for those that know the BCM and electrics of these vans... will the BCM make the indicators flash at the correct rate, regardless of the bulb being incandescent or LED? Assuming that’s the case, can the BCM not be reprogrammed to accept the lower wattage of an LED indicator bulb (and not throw up a bulb-out warning light)?

You can’t fully disable the bulb out warning with VCDS/coding it would require VCP/eeprom edit and that’s territory I ain’t going to, especially on a BCM.

You can’t fully disable the bulb out warning with VCDS/coding it would require VCP/eeprom edit and that’s territory I ain’t going to, especially on a BCM.
Fair one.

@StudleyGlass did you get any further with your LED indicator bulbs - resistors or otherwise?

Yes as @DaveyB says they do show an error so you need to fit resistors or turn the bulb-out light off in VCDs. Its a job i have not had time to do as yet they still sat on the shelf. I have swapped the side repeaters to LED as there is no warning dash light for those.

Hi all,

Got a bit of a strange issue here that i can't resolve, so thought it best to pick the brains of those who are far more knowledgable than myself in these matters.

I've got a Kombi with LED headlights and tail lights, have already replaced the reverse lights with LED bulbs, and also replaced the rear indicators with LED bulbs. I added some resistors to the wiring and they work as normal. i added some LED side indicators and they work just fine too (no resistor was need for them) - no hyperflashing at the lights or the dashboard, no bulb errors showing.

However, when i tried doing the same for the front indicators. No matter what i try, i end up with the dashboard showing a bulb error and the interior indicator hyperflashing. I've tried one resistor, another resistor in case there was a fault, both resistors in series. Connections were soldered so there should be no connection issues. The only possible thing i can think of is that i connected to the wiring inside the weather cover that connects straight to the bulb holder, not the loom that plugs into the back of the light but i wouldnt have thought that this would have made any difference. Any ideas??

Thanks all in advance
Sam

Hi all,

Got a bit of a strange issue here that i can't resolve, so thought it best to pick the brains of those who are far more knowledgable than myself in these matters.

I've got a Kombi with LED headlights and tail lights, have already replaced the reverse lights with LED bulbs, and also replaced the rear indicators with LED bulbs. I added some resistors to the wiring and they work as normal. i added some LED side indicators and they work just fine too (no resistor was need for them) - no hyperflashing at the lights or the dashboard, no bulb errors showing.

However, when i tried doing the same for the front indicators. No matter what i try, i end up with the dashboard showing a bulb error and the interior indicator hyperflashing. I've tried one resistor, another resistor in case there was a fault, both resistors in series. Connections were soldered so there should be no connection issues. The only possible thing i can think of is that i connected to the wiring inside the weather cover that connects straight to the bulb holder, not the loom that plugs into the back of the light but i wouldnt have thought that this would have made any difference. Any ideas??

Thanks all in advance
Sam
What resistors have you used?

I fitted leds in the front indicators without any problems. Im sure I fixed the resistor across the back of the bulb holder too. It must be a connection issue.

I did however take them out because I didn’t feel they were bright enough, certainly they were no where near as bright as the incandescent bulbs,

@Deaky I wouldn't have thought it would have been the connection as I'd soldered it in first time, then tried crimping in case my soldering was not up to par.

Regarding the bulbs however, the ones I got are far brighter that the standard bulbs. Happy to take some video and post it when I get it working

I fitted VW LED Tail lights to mine from a kit from Advanced in car Technologies and to get rid of the fast flash of your dash tell-tale. one side of their resistor had to be earthed to loom and NOT the body... if it was to the body it continued to flash double rate.

Figured out the issue with the front indicators, managed to get them working by removing the led side indicators that I'd fitted. So I now have led front and rear indicators but incandescent side bulbs again.

Tried a number of different w5w bulbs which are apparently canbus but all of them hyperflashed. Need to have a think about my next move

Figured out the issue with the front indicators, managed to get them working by removing the led side indicators that I'd fitted. So I now have led front and rear indicators but incandescent side bulbs again.

Tried a number of different w5w bulbs which are apparently canbus but all of them hyperflashed. Need to have a think about my next move
Have you got any pictures with them on please?

The van had led tail lights already, but put in led reverse bulbs too. Much brighter than standard.

Back