LED Reversing lamp under rear bumper

Rookie

T6 Pro
I am looking at adding an additional reversing light (for winter campsite manoeuvring). My van has the non LED light clusters with one nearside reversing light. The banksman led light I am considering fitting draws 1 amp @ 12v.

Can I safely directly spur off the existing reversing light feed? Or do I need to use a relay?
Thanks

Morning Rookie
Not 100% sure of the technical answer but I added a 2amp LED light direct to the existing feed with no issues to date. No relay.
Try it, if it blows the fuse you'll know it's going to be trouble.

A spur off the Existing light feed should be ok..

Its not so dissimilar to adding extra lights to the rear area...

The lamp feed is fused and monitored by the BCM, so if there is a problem you will get a blown lamp fuse and a light out warning . . . . I would have thought.

Iam looking at a Labcraft Banksman \ Scenelite S18 (12 volt planet). Labcraft have confirmed that it is designed to be mounted horizontally (ie. underslung) and that with the use of a slight wedge bracket I should be able to get a nice flat / Low beam pattern.

I’m intending to mount it centrally under the bumper using a stainless bracket. I am going to mock this up next week before ordering light.

Last edited:
Iam looking at a Labcraft Banksman \ Scenelite S18 (12 volt planet). Labcraft have confirmed that it is designed to be mounted horizontally (ie. underslung) and that with the use of a slight wedge bracket I should be able to get a nice flat / Low beam pattern.

I’m intending to mount it centrally under the bumper using a stainless bracket. I am going to mock this up next week before ordering light.

@Keeff has fitted something similar - reversing | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum

No rush but a few snaps of the light and how you fitted would be appreciated. Looks like a great discreet mod you've done. I wish to copy ;)

No rush but a few snaps of the light and how you fitted would be appreciated. Looks like a great discreet mod you've done. I wish to copy ;)

Hopefully the following make sense. I purchased light from Bowers. 9v Planet also have. The light is part of the Labcraft Scene/Banksman range) designed to be mounted either vertically, or horizontally, to provide a distributed light for manoeuvring (Exterior/Scene Lighting Archives - Labcraft). It should ideally be mounted higher to give the optimal light distribution, but Labcraft advise the use of a wedge to alter the light angle if mounted low down, as under the bumper.

I used 2mm stainless to make the bracket and archive the angle get the best projection of the light. The vertical drop is about 35mm (if you have access to a metal folder you will be able to get much crisper angles!o_O). 2x bolted on one side, and 2x screwed on other side. It's solid. You could use bolts on both sides but you would need to remove the bumper to get the necessary access. As it is you need a significant degree of dexterity to get the washer/nylock nut onto the bolts! (I used M5 stainless - they are actually bike bottle cage mount bolts!!).

Wired into reverse feed/earth behind rubber grommet behind offside rear light unit.

PS. does not affect getting the spare wheel out.

IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0048.JPG

ok i have stole this mod for my van thanks for posting it
i just need to wait for the darkness to see how it performs

quick question what is the legality of adding brighter reversing lights .

F4D05980-46F3-4B21-94DB-25EA77A323BD.jpeg 9E60FCD2-5946-49CF-9B75-F2EC72742A69.jpeg EC5B7D38-C10B-4C54-917D-35AE4A373F62.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. All good from a legality point of view. As I read the MOT specification 2x lights are ok as long as the Watts per light don’t exceed 24 Watts.

Who would need a reverse beeper with one of them on the back

Back