Leaky roof bars

8balladdict

VCDS User
T6 Guru
Hi guys,

Got a little problem. Keep finding puddles in the back of van....would appear its leaking in from where I've fitted the roof bars. So I need to get them off and add some sealant.

Just looking for some advice on the best stuff to use. I'm guessing I should of used some ptfe tape on the bolt itself really but is it worth using some silicone sealant or something similar? Someone did mention some kind of Vaseline like substance which then hardens. Anyone know what this is?

Cheers all....

Hi guys,

Got a little problem. Keep finding puddles in the back of van....would appear its leaking in from where I've fitted the roof bars. So I need to get them off and add some sealant.

Just looking for some advice on the best stuff to use. I'm guessing I should of used some ptfe tape on the bolt itself really but is it worth using some silicone sealant or something similar? Someone did mention some kind of Vaseline like substance which then hardens. Anyone know what this is?

Cheers all....
Never had a problem with any i've fitted and all i've ever put on is the rubber washers they come with between the base of the bars and the roof, did yours have anything like that?

Same for me my awning rail came with stainless bolts and rubber washers and has been fine

I've the same problem tried thread sealant on the bolt but still leaking under really bad conditions . Did you sort yours out ?

I posted a reply to a similar problem a few days ago.

You need to stuff silicone sealer into the bolt threads & then re-fit.

I've the same problem tried thread sealant on the bolt but still leaking under really bad conditions . Did you sort yours out ?
Whip the bolt out and apply a good quality sealant, replace bolt. (Panel bond or windscreen sealant)
Scot

I need to get mine sorted, if the van is pointing down hill the front door wells fill up!

Back