Leaky pop top roof

atyl1972

Hi all, oh dear just had my wife on the phone as she went to work a night shift, she told me she had water drip onto her head from the roof, pop top I guess, yesterday we heard a noise that sounded similar to water, but also sounded like something rubbing together, anyways there was a tiny amount of droplets on the canvas inside when I got the roof up, and a tiny tiny damp bit at the base of the canvas as I ran my hand along the side of it, inside....any ideas guys or gals what this could be and where shall I start looking for issues?

What roof manufacturer is it?
Will update tomorrow as I don't know right now, and my wife can't access the van whilst at work, I've had a look on the forums and some are saying that it could be the drainage holes that are dirty, the pop top roof is under warranty I believe, just a shame as we haven't used it to camp yet, planned trip next month, just hope it's nothing major

I looked at a van this week that had a skyline roof that had daylight showing where the canvas met the body work in the corners. Make sure that’s not the case?

If you have roof rails check the leak is not passing through the securing screw holes

Tbh with the rain and high winds we've had recently a small leak wouldn't surprise me.

Is it that common then even with the roof down?
Obviously high winds and rain will show up even small fabric/sealing issues with the top up. However, I really wouldn't expect a poptop to leak with the roof down, irrespective of the conditions.

Hi,

I don’t know C&H but what I can say is that they shouldn’t lead of fitted correctly. Depending on the design the canvas will either be ‘glued’ in place or clamped where it touches the vehicle. Either way should be water tight. With high winds, tracking of water can occur but again I wouldn’t expect on the sealed area.

Check the entire perimeter for gaps in the sealing medium. Any roof bars or solar panels will need sealing, if you lift the roof you should see it the leak is coming from the top pf the roof. If not a faulty seal on the canvas may be letting the water in.

The rear wash wipe vans also have a connector N/S rear which may have become loose.

God luck,
Ian :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back