I've used Sonax - GummiPfleger, this appeared to revitalise the rubber but didn't hold the rain out for long. Just picked up the Vas idea from another forum.

Any aftermarket rubber seal replacements?

Seriously, don't use Vaseline. Vaseline is petroleum, automotive seals dissolve in petrol when they have rubber content.

If Gummi doesn't work for you then use Krytox.

In combination with Gummi I've applied some silicone grease, and so far no leaks!
When i get more time I will remove the windows and apply better and continue testing.

Hi Chris did you ever see anything different or design change with your new window and next question is it still dry?
Mine is leaking now and still under warranty, if I know of any improvements with windows from VW i will get them to change other side whilst still under warranty

It still appears to be dry, thankfully. I couldnt see anything different, but I think it might close easier, maybe due to air been released when shutting the door.
I shall be out there having a really good check after all the heavy rain recently.

I have since been back to the company that fitted my windows, euromotive in kent which was recommended on here, did a water test and found a leak.

Then noticed one of the drain plugs was covered by sealer, cleared it out retested, and job done.

Cant fault them as they was prepared to take out window and sort it that way but they sorted it and now very happy and can continue the conversion at my slow pace. I'm now happy

I’m looking to find new drains but massively struggling to find the part numbers for both types of drains or a link to order them from. Can somebody please help,

3D8A8476-364D-4EC4-8C99-F3065F32859A.png

6DC458B3-D4ED-4E01-8843-837080BFD6DA.png

Please can anyone tell me the best way to stop window leak, there is a small hole in the trim which has a small tray underneath the tray seem broken can you buy spares if so what are the part numbers for the window and trim fittings ? any help appreciated. if not an

2020-05-06 09.45.57.jpg

2020-05-06 09.46.36.jpg

2020-05-06 09.47.27.jpg

Just want your thoughts on this please.

I bought a 2016 Kombi in Feb and noticed the offside side window, not massively but after heavy rain there is a bit of water on the floor.

Now the conundrum I have is that at the time I booked it into VW to have a look at it which has now been delayed till next week. Firstly I'm not even sure I want them to even have it for 5 days under the current circumstances and secondly, as it isn't under warranty is it actually going to be worth what it's going to cost me, as I have read quite a few posts where people have had replacement windows and it has made no difference!

So, what would you do, my instinct says cancel and live with it?

Hi,
I had the same issue with my 2013 Kombi. The windows had been open once in five years. It is the rubber seal that hardens and thus fails. At first, the VW dealer Carrs in Exeter used some "rubber resuscitator" (FOC), which helped for a while. Then I had AAW Windscreens (Poole-based) replace the OEM with VW non-opening replacements for £480. They had a struggle to get the VW supplier to understand that we wanted non-opening type, but we got there in the end. I seem to recall that a green tint was the only option, but they look fine on a Sunny Yellow van. AAW did a fine job, as they do lots of VW T work. Problem completely solved, and they look much better too. If you "live with it", the door trim will begin to suffer damage - mine did. www.aaw-ltd.co.uk 01202 658034 Hope this helps.

AAW Kombi windows 2.jpg

That window looks good and thanks for the info. Mine is on the non-opening side BTW as I only have one side door.

When I said 'live with it' I really meant for the time being.

A good time to have a single side door! Fitting non-VW glass would be a fair bit cheaper; I have a 'thing' about sticking to OEM as far as possible.

Well, funnily enough VW just phoned and said I can still have to appt. if i want it but they are no longer able to supply a courtesy vehicle, so I cancelled till further notice. Would still be interested though in peoples opinions on the options available when I do get round to getting it done.

I've had my sliding windows changed 3 times (under warranty) twin sliders. Both sides have leaked and both sides are on the 3rd set.
I've never opened them since the latest set and so far, so good. But. Whats the point in having opening windows, if you're too afraid to open them.
I love the look of the sliding windows and they are great from ventilation when camping or parked up, but they just don't work like they should. I find it unbelievable that VW have known about this fault for years (T5's also leaked) but they still send their vans out with poorly fitted windows.:mad::mad::mad:

I realise that doesn't help in your decision but I feel better after my little rant.

I feel better after your little rant as well ;) as it totally backs up my thinking, probably have a look at it myself at some point, I seem to remember seeing a how to do it thread on where someone dismantled the window and fixed the problem.

Have you cleaned out the drain holes? Mine leaked, 2016 Kombi, I ground down the end of a hacksaw blade & poked & prodded until it went all the way through the window sealant. They don't think about these when they bond the windows in.
Once I did this it cured the leaking.

Just been out to do some photos
IMG_20200507_201124.jpg
Tool for the job.
IMG_20200507_201131.jpg
Inserted in 1st drain hole, it takes a bit of time but it does eventually go through.

IMG_20200507_201156.jpg

The end of the blade through the hole. I taped a bit of card in the gap to stop the blade marking the paint.

IMG_20200507_201223.jpg

The 2nd hole is a bit more of a challenge, a video online took the opening half out, but I managed without doing that.

I have the same problem on both kombi windows, slider side worse. I also notice water in the passnger front foot well, I am going to be busy :oops:

Back