Now seeing my slider leaking more and more it appears that when shut it’s not tight and can be pushed away from seals. Is there a way to adjust this? Nearside is fine, nice and tight when shut but offside I’m suprised it doesn’t rattle! Thanks

Yes sadly it is a common fault, had both mine replaced under warranty for leaking, lots of threads on here about just do a search

Hi Folks,
Just a warning to others out there that the leaking windows on my 2016 Kombi aren't covered under the 'das welt' extended warranty.
So 3.5 years is an acceptable lifespan of the window seals!
Any recommendations for window replacements that are better than the VW ones?
Cheers

Screenshot_20190918-173025_Drive.jpg

Take the bottom trim off the slider and find out where the leak is. 90% sure that it will be a poor joint between the two parts of the drain system. Test by fitting the narrow end of a mastic tube nozel into the drain hole and pour water in, usually runs inside not outside!
It should be fixable with some sort of mastic around the joint between the two parts. Remember that each window has two drain holes, the centre one can only be seen by romoving the sliding portion.
I've given up trying to get VW to supply ones that don't leak and will be trying the above fix on my current T6 soon.

Thanks rod_vw, I'll have a look at what you suggest at the weekend. Always park on a slight hill so the drain holes at the middle are probably blocked as water runs from the inner plastic channel where the glass slides, to the back of the doors.
Anyway have asked VW again to see if its a possible warranty fix but I'm not holding my breath, but are going to give me the replacement cost for both windows, which will be silly money.

Got my windows changed without problems in June. Bought a 2016 van from the VW van centre in Inverness with 12 month warranty. Van had to go to body shop to have leaks videoed and then waited two weeks for VWUK to come back with an answer. VW body shop changed both sides, no problem.

I wouldn't hold my breath that any replaced windows will be any better. This is a design /production fault that they (VW) have known about since the T5 was introduced in 2003 and don't seem to have done anything about. My first T5 was a 07 reg and that had the problem, so does my 66 reg T6, I had some windows replaced on one T5 but they still leaked, all it achieved was scratches on the paintwork from a poor replacement job!
Maybe a T7 will have a new window design????

I wouldn't hold my breath that any replaced windows will be any better. This is a design /production fault that they (VW) have known about since the T5 was introduced in 2003 and don't seem to have done anything about. My first T5 was a 07 reg and that had the problem, so does my 66 reg T6, I had some windows replaced on one T5 but they still leaked, all it achieved was scratches on the paintwork from a poor replacement job!
Maybe a T7 will have a new window design????

Wouldn’t disagree with this but will try and look after them with regular maintenance and see how it goes. I like the flush look and value being able to open them.

Got my windows changed without problems in June. Bought a 2016 van from the VW van centre in Inverness with 12 month warranty. Van had to go to body shop to have leaks videoed and then waited two weeks for VWUK to come back with an answer. VW body shop changed both sides, no problem.

aye same story for me.
no problem getting them changed, from what the chap said at the van centre it sounded like they had improved the design...

Well got van back and garage claim water ingress isn't covered.
Anyway followed instructions on T6 forum on how to remove siders and cleaned drain slots. Would not have found them without the great pictures and info on DaveyB's 'how to guide'.
Couple of points to note, I used a cutdown plastic plant label (cut plastic yogurt pot, drinks bottle etc probably OK too) to clear muck, jetted with compressed air, then sprayed WD40 silicone lubricant on all seals and drains. Followed up with silicone grease on all moving parts and reassembled. Had quite a bit of rain since and so far no leaks!
Long term will look at replacing windows with Camperglass. Anyone recommend them or are there better options out there?

I also was in van saturday and notice water coming in , traced it back to window, and like you only effected the door card, luckily I haven't gone any further in conversion stage.

Will have to get back to the company who fitted them to see what they say ?

20191012_162254.jpg

20191012_162234.jpg

20191012_162220.jpg

20191012_162215.jpg

Mine still has one side leaking in so have to put a folded up cloth there to absorb water!! Out of warranty now! VW dealership refused to accept both sides needed replacing when they did sliding door side so now I would have to foot the bill!!!

Mine were fine until I had some blinds fitted, as I don't use them in just going to seal them from the out side with black silicone...

Recently found rain water inside the side steps, and a wet bottom door after 16 happy dry months.
Got checked in with my local VW Van Centre Swansea and they quickly said, - replacement window, which was fitted today, so I shall see, we do get a lot of rain in West Wales so it shouldn't take too long to find out.
What I did learn was they say its a new design or at least it has had some design changes made, which should solve the problem. Just hoping that my other side window hasn't gone as its on the kitchen side of my conversion.
Hi Chris did you ever see anything different or design change with your new window and next question is it still dry?
Mine is leaking now and still under warranty, if I know of any improvements with windows from VW i will get them to change other side whilst still under warranty

Would installing a gutter type system help? Wouldn't stop all water coming in but might help reduce the amount.

I've heard using Vaseline on the rubber seals help

Would installing a gutter type system help? Wouldn't stop all water coming in but might help reduce the amount.

I've heard using Vaseline on the rubber seals help

Don't use Vaseline it'll destroy the seals eventually. There's a couple of things you can use. The one VW will use on the first fix attempt is Krytox - it's not cheap but it's a great seal lubricant.

I've used Sonax - GummiPfleger, this appeared to revitalise the rubber but didn't hold the rain out for long. Just picked up the Vas idea from another forum.

Any aftermarket rubber seal replacements?

Last edited:
Back