Leaking Side Windows

Tommy

T6 Pro
This week saw some torrential rain where I was working, neither the side rear window nor the driver window for that matter showed any signs of leaking and the driver window had been dripping for a good while on and off :rolleyes:

chrisw

Recently found rain water inside the side steps, and a wet bottom door after 16 happy dry months.
Got checked in with my local VW Van Centre Swansea and they quickly said, - replacement window, which was fitted today, so I shall see, we do get a lot of rain in West Wales so it shouldn't take too long to find out.
What I did learn was they say its a new design or at least it has had some design changes made, which should solve the problem. Just hoping that my other side window hasn't gone as its on the kitchen side of my conversion.

Mwillis

T6 Pro
Hi,

Picked up our t6, Kombi, 4 month old van on Saturday and when we got home water running down the inside of the rear door just like yours.

I will call today and take it back. Does seen odd as it much be a know fault that dealerships don't check prior to sale (and vw dont sort before manufacturer).

Sad on a new purchase.

Lanas012

I also was in van saturday and notice water coming in , traced it back to window, and like you only effected the door card, luckily I haven't gone any further in conversion stage.

Will have to get back to the company who fitted them to see what they say ?

20191012_162254.jpg

20191012_162234.jpg

20191012_162220.jpg

20191012_162215.jpg

Buggirl

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Mine still has one side leaking in so have to put a folded up cloth there to absorb water!! Out of warranty now! VW dealership refused to accept both sides needed replacing when they did sliding door side so now I would have to foot the bill!!!

mackmaya

Mine were fine until I had some blinds fitted, as I don't use them in just going to seal them from the out side with black silicone...

Lone Wolf

T6 Pro
Recently found rain water inside the side steps, and a wet bottom door after 16 happy dry months.
Got checked in with my local VW Van Centre Swansea and they quickly said, - replacement window, which was fitted today, so I shall see, we do get a lot of rain in West Wales so it shouldn't take too long to find out.
What I did learn was they say its a new design or at least it has had some design changes made, which should solve the problem. Just hoping that my other side window hasn't gone as its on the kitchen side of my conversion.
Hi Chris did you ever see anything different or design change with your new window and next question is it still dry?
Mine is leaking now and still under warranty, if I know of any improvements with windows from VW i will get them to change other side whilst still under warranty

tintim

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Would installing a gutter type system help? Wouldn't stop all water coming in but might help reduce the amount.

I've heard using Vaseline on the rubber seals help

phazer

Would installing a gutter type system help? Wouldn't stop all water coming in but might help reduce the amount.

I've heard using Vaseline on the rubber seals help
Don't use Vaseline it'll destroy the seals eventually. There's a couple of things you can use. The one VW will use on the first fix attempt is Krytox - it's not cheap but it's a great seal lubricant.

tintim

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've used Sonax - GummiPfleger, this appeared to revitalise the rubber but didn't hold the rain out for long. Just picked up the Vas idea from another forum.

Any aftermarket rubber seal replacements?

Last edited:

phazer

I've used Sonax - GummiPfleger, this appeared to revitalise the rubber but didn't hold the rain out for long. Just picked up the Vas idea from another forum.

Any aftermarket rubber seal replacements?
Seriously, don't use Vaseline. Vaseline is petroleum, automotive seals dissolve in petrol when they have rubber content.

If Gummi doesn't work for you then use Krytox.

tintim

VIP Member
T6 Pro
In combination with Gummi I've applied some silicone grease, and so far no leaks!
When i get more time I will remove the windows and apply better and continue testing.

chrisw

Hi Chris did you ever see anything different or design change with your new window and next question is it still dry?
Mine is leaking now and still under warranty, if I know of any improvements with windows from VW i will get them to change other side whilst still under warranty
It still appears to be dry, thankfully. I couldnt see anything different, but I think it might close easier, maybe due to air been released when shutting the door.
I shall be out there having a really good check after all the heavy rain recently.

Lanas012

I have since been back to the company that fitted my windows, euromotive in kent which was recommended on here, did a water test and found a leak.

Then noticed one of the drain plugs was covered by sealer, cleared it out retested, and job done.

Cant fault them as they was prepared to take out window and sort it that way but they sorted it and now very happy and can continue the conversion at my slow pace. I'm now happy

Leighmc32

Both of my windows have been leaking! I am ready to fit my units and have decided to tackle the problem myself. So here is what I’ve worked out.
There is a seal on the sliding window, if you clean it and remove all the dust that has been washed in over time the window leaks less. But water will still pass. The second issue is there is a very small seal between the bottom rail that the window runs in. This seal is against the inside of the window surround, it has a very small taper collecting any water that passes the main window seal. Basically this seal allows water to run along until it reaches the drain point ( one at each side of the window opening). Now if this seal is dirty with dust etc water dosnt readily flow to the the drain points. You need a wire tie or similar to push down the drain points and prove water can run away. (Will up load a video to show you!).
So if you don’t keep the two seals clean like previously mentioned, there is a final Chanel. This is the one you can easily see and it is where the window pin slides up and down. You will have seen a very small hole at the front of this Chanel. This is where I could usually see water building up. Now this hole is where any water that passes the first to seals end up. This hole passes into a very small chamber under the window guide. This chamber directs the water out over the top of the door frame where the water can escape from under the glass. Be careful if trying to clean this hole out. Under the hole is the chamber, and the chamber is just a small piece of plastic sealed against the frame with a non drying kind of bedding sealant. I tried to clear mine out with compressed air and a bit of old fuse wire. The fuse wire managed to push through the sealant and make my leak worse! I now need to re seal this chamber. The other door however cleared fine with compressed air.

So now both windows don’t leak in!! Well that is to say the do leak, but they leak to the areas that vw wanted them too, and I now don’t have water running down the inside of my door cards. Hope this is of help guys. If you can understand my ramblings
Hi did you ever upload a video on this at all? I have a drippy side window which I am trying to sort

rt22

I've had a leak on my side window and its seeped under the rubber floor. Anyone had experience of removing the floor ie. what tools are required and is it a job you can do at home?

johnmacster

T6 Pro
Had my kombi serviced this week and when I dropped it off I mentioned the drivers side leaking window, when I collected it later that day they said they've ordered the parts and will be replacing both sides under warranty. Had the same issues on my T5.1.

Grim Reaper

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've had a leak on my side window and its seeped under the rubber floor. Anyone had experience of removing the floor ie. what tools are required and is it a job you can do at home?
You'll need a star bit to take the tie down's out, then some allen keys and trim removal tools to take the rear door trim, seat mount trims and side door step covers off, the rubber floor will pull out fairly easily afterwards. just be careful removing it around the seat mounts.