Leaking Kombi Windows? How-to guide to resolve.

Does any one try it use sponge core seal to fit into window seal?

View attachment 215577
Did a possible fix on my leaky sliding windows.

Ordered some 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm foam rubber cord and fed this into my 2x sliding window seals (one had already split at the join, the other I made 2x small nicks to feed it it) with the help of a spare bicycle gear cable fed through to pull the cord back through.

View attachment 230726

On first test, after removing the copious amount of silicone grease which was keeping the seal watertight (but is only a temporary fix) it seems to have worked. My thinking is that the seals are hollow and they're not making a tight enough of a seal against the outer glass. The 4mm stuff fits perfectly, I tried the 5mm but there's just too much friction when pulling it through, even with lots and lots of lubricant (fnarr).

The windows aren't any harder to close, chucking some water directly at the seals and they seem to be sealing and not letting any water through.

We're due some heavy rain tomorrow overnight and in the past there's been a swimming pool in my side step so I'll see how it fairs.

Borrowed your idea and have just fitted 4mm foam cord into my seals and on first test it seems to have done the trick.

1000006759.jpg
I need too wait for it to be dry and warmer until I seal up my detached drain though.

Last edited:
I’ve had both my side windows replaced and they’re still leaking in the same place, been back to the dealership 7 times and they still can’t fix them, and now they’re saying there’s nothing else they can do, the van is almost 3 years old

Sealed up my detached drain on the drivers side window a couple of days ago and it's better - but treated today and it was still leaking from one bit, right behind the drain bottom cover. Sealed up with some more sikaflex 522 and hopefully that'll be it done. It's a right pain to get too, so I've sealed around the drain rather than trying to seal between the plastic parts. Some water did come out the correct hole outside below the window so I'm confident it'll work once it's been fully sealed.

Right then.

"New (old) and improved™" window seals with 4mm foam cord inserts, fitted fully to both sliding windows.

Drivers side front drain now fully sealed, had to seal up new leaks twice after the first application of sealant.

And... Success.

The drivers side is now now longer leaking at all down the inside of the door panel. It's somehow getting in between the main glass frame and the door which does mean the water is draining into the door handle catch and out the bottom drain via the pipe, as well as draining from the exterior drain... BUT no water is getting inside. Which is the main thing!!

I've just doused the windows in about the average rainfall for a UK summers day in 5 mins, and apart from a tiny bit of water on the upright front section on the drivers side (which will drain like the water from the main drain hole) it's watertight!!!

The replacement non OEM windows are no good for me either as with a caravelle the slider rails fit closely into the interior door trims so I'd need to change them too.

It's obvious that VW know the design is shite (ignoring the rust in the upper sliding section, that's a while other issue!) as they've 'designed' 2 ways of water to escape when it gets past the seals. It's just that those 2 ways are crap!!

So the first line of defence in the ongoing war against water, is to make sure your seals are clean and well lubricated with silicone grease or similar.

If the seals fail, then it's the job of the 2 narrow drain slots to get rid of the water.

If they fail then the final line of defence is the round drain holes and underlying flimsy plastic held on with soft sealant, that eventually fails if you happen to look at it wrong!!

I'm now on stage 3, my front round drain was blocked meaning water over the door card when the first 2 lines of defence were broken, but recently that drain has become unblocked and detached which means a waterfall inside the door card.

I've got some sikaflex coming tomorrow and will try to seal it back up whilst also leaving it not quite pushed against the drain hole, or else water doesn't drain from it!! :rofl:

I've confirmed that it "works" by squirting water inside it from the bottom to make sure it's exiting from beneath the window, which is is. So I just need to seal it up properly.
I say shame on VW, they should put this right!

I say shame on VW, they should put this right!
The main issue I see are the seals, which don't seal that well! Hence why I've added the foam core to mine, which seems to have improved the seal massively.

The drains work, so long as they're not blocked or broken, but they're only there in case the seal fails so if the seals worked then the drains wouldn't need too deal with much water.

I'm really not sure, given how common an issue this is, why someone hasn't reverse engineered the seal and improved it by making it filled with foam, or out of a slightly firmer rubber, or slightly bigger. Oh and being able to buy the seals on their own would be massive advantage!

Hi everyone , a little bit late to the party here … just got my first t6 back in December and was delighted to find that kombi sliding window on on the sliding door look leaked like a sieve .

Big thanks to @DaveyB for the guide to remove the sliding window glass and to everyone else that has contributed to this thread.

So far I’ve had both windows out , cleared the rectangular slits front and rear against the glass, thoroughly cleaned the rubbers , silicone sealed around the lower part of the round drain holes , applied silicone grease to the seals and checked each of the areas as reasonable as possible using a syringe to direct the water .

All tests seemed positive and I could clearly see water exiting where intended so reassembled and waited for it to pee down …

Didn’t take long for that to happen …

This seemed to have done the trick and several days of rain with none inside the van was looking like a result however after driving the van whilst it was raining a small amount still managed to get through .

I don’t really want to replace the windows if I can get away with it and also would like to retain the opening feature of them ,or else I’d consider as others have already done , using silicone to seal them permanently shut .

Also as a process of elimination I had previously used insulation tape around the gap between the fixed and opening part of the glass just to prove to myself that this was the point of entry of the water , which I’m pretty confident is the case with mine .

This and the earlier post from @tomek12 and also @TallPaul_S has lead me to purchasing some sponge cord in 3mm diameter and 6mm diameter to insert in the gap between the two pieces of glass … the rear vertical section is wider at 6mm than the top , bottom and front which are around 3mm .

I figured this would kind of ‘winterise’ the window until the weather picks up without it being permanently sealed shut with silicone. Seems to be doing the trick at the moment and I thought it might help someone that’s struggling with the same issues as a quick and easy temporary measure whilst the weathers not great.

From the outside you can hardly notice anything different , just need to remember to remove it if your gonna open the window and remember to replace afterwards .

06FF16EC-B5C4-409E-BD44-3C83772DC285.jpeg

88F9785C-0091-42AC-A05D-D129BFA560F8.jpeg

8EE5F4DE-F2AD-460F-8F41-EA79CCE8AA0B.jpeg

Haha, that's an interesting solution! I would highly recommend trying to insert the foam cord into the seals though, mine are still lovely and dry!

All it does is make a better seal against the window - they're no harder to close so that helps me the seal really isn't great to begin with.

Silicone grease is great and will also make them seal better but 1. It gets washed out and runs down there van, and 2. It doesn't last for ever.

Haha, that's an interesting solution! I would highly recommend trying to insert the foam cord into the seals though, mine are still lovely and dry!

All it does is make a better seal against the window - they're no harder to close so that helps me the seal really isn't great to begin with.

Silicone grease is great and will also make them seal better but 1. It gets washed out and runs down there van, and 2. It doesn't last for ever.
I think I will give your solution a go to be honest , I just need to order some 4mm …

Should prob have ordered some at the same time as the other sizes now I think about it :rolleyes:

Was it easy enough to thread it inside the seals ?

I think I will give your solution a go to be honest , I just need to order some 4mm …

Should prob have ordered some at the same time as the other sizes now I think about it :rolleyes:

Was it easy enough to thread it inside the seals ?
Easy-ish.

I used a spare bicycle gear cable to thread though, then tied the cord on. Plenty of lube (I used wet bicycle chain lube), and pull it back through. I needed too do one in 2 parts at the friction gets higher the more you pull through, and the cord will probably snap. I just cut a tiny slit to feed the 2nd part then glued them up with super glue.

You won't be able to push it through, you'll need something to pull it back through, and the straighter you can have the seal the better to reduce friction.

Easy-ish.

I used a spare bicycle gear cable to thread though, then tied the cord on. Plenty of lube (I used wet bicycle chain lube), and pull it back through. I needed too do one in 2 parts at the friction gets higher the more you pull through, and the cord will probably snap. I just cut a tiny slit to feed the 2nd part then glued them up with super glue.

You won't be able to push it through, you'll need something to pull it back through, and the straighter you can have the seal the better to reduce friction.
Ok great, thanks for the advice !
I’ll get some ordered and wait for a bit of decent weather to give it a go !
Cheers

So my windows are still nice and leak free, well - almost.

On my driver's side window (which was the one leaking the most and on which I fixed the drain) I was noticing a few droplets on the lower half of the front of the sliding part, just behind the plastic 'guard' running vertically.

We had a load of rain and wind last night and this morning there was a few more drops as I'd cleaned off the silicone grease on the seal.

Now, inspecting the other side window from the outside, I realised the gap, when closed, between the front of the sliding part and the fixed part was bigger on the drivers side. Confirmed by looking at the rear of the window and the dots printed on the window - it was probably around 2-3mm further back.

Giving the drivers side a good shove when closed seems to have helped, but then I remembered when taking the window out, one of the locking pins was broken - one of these
1000007194.jpg

They have a plastic cover over the metal rod, and on removing mine, the lower one was indeed broken, with the broken bit at the rear. This I think is the cause of the window not pushing forward as much when closed and therefore not sealing as well as it should! The top one was also a bit worn.

I've just ordered a window repair kit off eBay for £8 which includes the rods. That should finally sort the very last bit of water that's finding it's way in!!

So that's another thing to check if your windows are still leaking!

Back