Large KM/H display

VWJAY

Metal Fabricator
T6 Pro
The week I got my van I changed the mfd to show the large Mph which is awesome when I'm at home but I do a lot of milage in Europe and last week driving back from Spain I realised how little I look at the dial now and although I set the mfd to display the small Kph I wondered if a large Kph could be programmed?

Ironically I drove a German reg left hooker a couple of weeks ago and either didn't have a look at what that was displaying or wasn't paying any attention to it!

Does changing the units not change the large speedo ?
I assumed it would but haven't actually tried it

I would have thought so too, after all it’s in Australia mode and the Aussies use Km/h

Yes tried it on mine and large display stays on mph think you would just have to sacrifice the large display for the original small kph one when abroad

Last edited:
We're taking the van to France next month which got me thinking about turning the large mph on the mfd to a large kmh. I’ve tried changing the units which alters the mileage and consumption but the large display remains in mph. Does anyone know if it’s possible to change it to km?

I know I can revert back to having the small kmh, but all this talk of French speeding fines made me wonder if the larger display might keep me on track o_O
61D555C3-B81E-4C24-9FED-A801EEF84B06.jpeg

We're taking the van to France next month which got me thinking about turning the large mph on the mfd to a large kmh. I’ve tried changing the units which alters the mileage and consumption but the large display remains in mph. Does anyone know if it’s possible to change it to km?

I know I can revert back to having the small kmh, but all this talk of French speeding fines made me wonder if the larger display might keep me on track o_O
View attachment 54387
It’s not possible. It is a shame, it would be really useful. I use the Waze display as my Euro speedo instead.

How do you get it to display large mph please?

View attachment 54387

I've had three speeding fines in France this year, and that's compared to the last 6 years touring in Europe, in the same Motorhome, driving exactly the same, with no fines. I'm sure something has changed with the laws for speeding this year, and how easy it is to fine us Brits now.

Anyway, the only way I found I could stop creeping over the speed, without constantly watching my dash, was to have my satnav audible speed warnings activated. It's a really annoying bong that doesn't stop until you drop below the speed limit.

Bare in mind i'm in a huge Motorhome, and not gunning it everywhere. The issues for me was the road speeds vary so much, and it's not always that clear, specially when going through roadworks.

Edit:

Check out this little thing. Might get one myself. KMH or MPH

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snooper-My...ocphy=9046184&hvtargid=pla-563149033099&psc=1

Last edited:
I've had three speeding fines in France this year, and that's compared to the last 6 years touring in Europe, in the same Motorhome, driving exactly the same, with no fines. I'm sure something has changed with the laws for speeding this year, and how easy it is to fine us Brits now.

Anyway, the only way I found I could stop creeping over the speed, without constantly watching my dash, was to have my satnav audible speed warnings activated. It's a really annoying bong that doesn't stop until you drop below the speed limit.

Bare in mind i'm in a huge Motorhome, and not gunning it everywhere. The issues for me was the road speeds vary so much, and it's not always that clear, specially when going through roadworks.

Edit:

Check out this little thing. Might get one myself. KMH or MPH

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snooper-My...ocphy=9046184&hvtargid=pla-563149033099&psc=1

I would imagine that little gadget is illegal in France.

How do you get it to display large mph please?

With VCDS or Carista. See this thread:

How? It's only telling you the speed of a road and your actual speed.
I was just about to order one.
I have just read the product description and it says it notifies you of speed cameras as well - if I have understood this correctly then please take care as these will/can get you in trouble.

I have just read the product description and it says it notifies you of speed cameras as well

And yet, so do most aftermarket satnavs, including my current Garmin one. Plus nothing obvious on the Snooper website about this being illegal, and the fact it states France as one of it's user destinations. I understood what @Skyliner33 was referring to, but still didn't see this as a reason to not buy one.

However... I ended up buying the new Garmin DriveSmart 65 instead. This will replace my current several year old nav, which is still very good and free map updates for life anyway, but who can resist a new gadget. Even more is so when Maplin had a great deal on with discounts, getting this nav from the Garmin price of £249, John Lewis price of £215 down to the Maplin price of £159 delivered to my door.

@Tourershine that looks like a nice bit of kit. I’ve been a fan of the Garmin navs for years. Mine is due an upgrade and going to France will justify the cost. The old one won’t work in France.. that’ll be my excuse :sneaky:

@Tourershine that looks like a nice bit of kit. I’ve been a fan of the Garmin navs for years. Mine is due an upgrade and going to France will justify the cost. The old one won’t work in France.. that’ll be my excuse :sneaky:

I currently run two Garmin Nuvi 3598 navs, one in my van and one in the Motorhome. They are both still bang up to date, and both perfectly sufficient for anyones needs. However, my daughter wanted a satnav for her car, as she's running a nav through her phone which isn't ideal, so I justified the purchase by saying she can have one of the Nuvi's and I will have the new one for myself.
I'm hoping the latest Garmin is using the same lead, so I don't have to remove all the cabling I carefully hid behind my dash, just swapping over the actual magnetic holders.
From my experience, you are either Garmin or TomTom. Personally I found TomTom to be a little clumsy to navigate around (excuse the pun) compared to the Garmin, but I do love how simple Garmin make the whole address input, and personalising your own icons to find the nearest Greggs :whistle:
Plus the actual nav looks far slicker in my opinion. I don't see the new nav being a giant leap forward because I update mine as soon as it tells me to, but connecting to the wifi to update will be far easier than connecting to my laptop with the Nuvi. Oh and that huge screen :thumbsup:

Back