Large KM/H display

Sorry to drag up an old thread.. I'd pretty much given up on the large KPH display until I was having nosey at @Robert TCS and HDA and noticed this video which shows the large KPH display:

So it is possible just how? I'll have a play tomorrow and see if changing the language does it

Last edited:
My theory is that, IC with analogue speedometer scaled in km/h only are capable to display large km/h only in the centre display.
Another words if you have analogue speedometer scaled in km/h and mph than you can have mph only in the centre display.

I suspect that this limitation might be linked to some silly legislation regulation
and therefore you can't display speed in km/h digitally(large version) and at the same time get confused with mph read out of analogue speedometer.

@Robert thanks man! I'd assumed that all analogue instrument clusters were kmh/mph and didn't realise that there was a kmh only variant

Hi everyone, just got my T6 Multivan today and super excited, in fact it's my first ever van although have had previously multiple Golf GTis and an Amarok.

Is there a person I can visit in Sydney (Northern Beaches based) to convert my digital display from mp/h to km/h and activate that larger speedo display reading?

Any insights are welcome...

Will

P.S. I would prefer to pay a guy to do it rather than, buy devices etc however if anyone is aware of a no fuss DIY option, Im open to that too!

As far as we know, you can’t have a large KMH only large MPH

My theory is that, IC with analogue speedometer scaled in km/h only are capable to display large km/h only in the centre display.
It seems that my cluster (T6, 7E0 920 870 S, LHD, km/h only) follows the theory. Tried the most obvious codings for mph display (UK, USA, Canada, +AUS) - no big digital mph, sticks with km/h display. A kind of interesting by-product was achieved with USA and Canada codings - door open ding-ding... warning - and keeps dinging quite long :oops: .

Does the analogue/needle speedometer have scales both in km/h and mph?
Countries using metric system by default get vehicles with analog speedometer in km/h only ( obviously disregarding any imports).

In contrast to that countries using imperial system by default get vehicles with analog speedometers in both km/h and mph (disregarding any imports again).
But this rule has changed for some time cause I have seen good few VWs in UK with analog mph only speedometer. This would apply to years (2005-2013).
Correct me please if I am not accurate with the years above.

Reactions: mmi
Sorry to drag up an old thread.. I'd pretty much given up on the large KPH display until I was having nosey at @Robert TCS and HDA and noticed this video which shows the large KPH display:

So it is possible just how? I'll have a play tomorrow and see if changing the language does it

Changed mine from this
Screenshot_20211213-024251_WhatsApp.jpg

to this
Screenshot_20211213-024239_WhatsApp.jpg

and I have THIS :D
20211213_024610.jpg

Its not available to us, robert is helping in developing a hardware device that expands tweaking capabilities and hes showing off again !
It will be a paid for device that will hopefully be released in the future for our platform

more details here

Its not available to us, robert is helping in developing a hardware device that expands tweaking capabilities and hes showing off again !
It will be a paid for device that will hopefully be released in the future for our platform
Actually this is available to every single T6 owner and no additional hardware is required.
This mod has nothing to do with @Daku's module.
The only difficulty is that Instrument Cluster EEPROM needs to be edited and modified.
And to do that IC requires complete strip down and EEPROM chip content must be read directly with a clamp or desoldered from the pcb.

• Love
Alternatively Instrument Cluster EEPROM can be read via OBD2 socket with VAG-TACHO.

The video below demonstrates direct read from the EEPROM chip by using CH341A.
Then the dump modification can be done with any HEX editor or dedicated Instrument Cluster EEPROM software.
In this example VAG DASH EDITOR was used.

The LARGE SPEED DISPLAY can be simply toggled between MPH and KM/H
with drop down selection option as shown below.
20220130_102343.jpg

Once modification is done, the EEPROM dump must be uploaded(written) back to the IC. And the last step is the enjoyment of your desired speed display.

Back