Laptop Recommendation VCDS

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I'm toying with the idea of buying a vcds cable, however I only have a mac laptop at the moment so looking for advice/recommendations for a windows latptop, mainly just to use with vcds and the hexcan on my bike.

I don't have much idea about windows machines as I havent used it since XP.
Would this be ok to use, or are there any other recommendations?

ASUS 11" Blue Dual Core VivoBook E201 Windows 10 S Laptop

Thanks

I'm toying with the idea of buying a vcds cable, however I only have a mac laptop at the moment so looking for advice/recommendations for a windows latptop, mainly just to use with vcds and the hexcan on my bike.

Thanks
I’m like you and Mac only, so when I got VCDS I tried using Windows in both Parallels and Virtual Box and couldn’t get the program to work properly. I object to chucking money at something I don’t need for anything else so I bought an older reconditioned Dell Win7 laptop from eBay for £120 and it’s been absolutely fine. I’d just get the cheapest you can find if that’s all you’re going to use it for

Thanks
Ouch, this is a tough one... thanks to the special edition of Windows 10 S :eek:- which allows to use applications from Microsoft Store only. I'm pretty confident the VCDS is not one of them.

Quoting your link "By limiting apps to those in the Windows Store, Windows 10 S is ideal for casual users who prefer the peace of mind that comes with removing the risk of downloading apps from other places."

However, it seems there is a way out of this ---> https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

Unfortunately it's hard to tell if there are undesired consequences by switching out S Mode - e.g. prepackaged software licenses in the computer?

Any windows based laptop or tablet will do provided it has a fill size USB type A port.

The software doesn't need a power house PC so a used one can be cheaper.

VCDS works with WIN10 home and pro.... not sure about the "S" edition. Not sure if you can load you own software on that.

Be wary of cloan VCDS cables as they can cause you trouble.

New VCDS versions can have limited vins or pro unlimited versions. Older cables can have unlimited vins.

Thanks for the info and the spot about windows 10 S.
I will avoid the s version.

As for cable Im a bit undecided to go with the older HEX+CAN USB used off eBay approx £350 unlimited or the new V2 10 vin version. I am thinking the latter is better (I doubt I will need more than 10 VINs)

I run it on my trusty windows 7 think pad no issues at all. I also have a windows 10 machine and it's flaky on that!

I've Got The older hex can version. It works great.

Though was concidering the newer umlimited pro wifi version....... but big ££££££ (can be used with fones and tablets wirelessly with VCDS mobile)

I'll stick with what I have for now.

VCDS is continuously updated.... so if you get an older GENUINE cable it will work fine.

Ross-Tech VCDS (VAG-COM) Packages :: Gendan Automotive Products

Ross-Tech VCDS

I read somewhere that the older cable will not work with the latest cars, thats why I thought about the 10VIN V2

About VCDS VIN-Limitations as above and ---> VIN-Limited Interface FAQ
What I think is quite fair - still "unlimited" fault code reading and clearing - the most common thing to do on multiple cars.

Upgrade Interface VIN count later (3 -> 10 -> unlimited) ---> Upgrade an Enthusiast Interface VIN Count | Ross-Tech

Unfortunately even the T6 will be partially affected ---> Transporter 2018 + HEX V2
For details look into Autoscan in the link. For some modules in a MY19 T6 --- "Unsupported vehicle.Please upgrade to a current Ross-Tech interface."

Just to clarify a couple points

VCDS will work on pretty much any windows machine but NOT on tablets running windows mobile builds (never encountered 10S ??)

AFAIK hex net (the wireless one) is limited on functionality when in wireless mode and needs to be plugged in for all functions, hugely handy for data logging while driving etc as no cable connected dangling around your feet whilst driving

hex can will work on T6s but i have already encountered a 68 plate MY19 that would NOT work properly, would scan and code etc but not investigate DTCs properly only give basic information

I think the abovementioned limitations of HEX-NET-interface are described here ---> Functions - Ross-Tech Wiki
actually being limitations of "VCDS-Mobile" needing connection via internet to Ross-Tech Cloud.

The "main" Windows VCDS-software with HEX-NET is fully functional and stand-alone (no internet needed) using wifi connection to the dongle.

I’m like you and Mac only, so when I got VCDS I tried using Windows in both Parallels and Virtual Box and couldn’t get the program to work properly. I object to chucking money at something I don’t need for anything else so I bought an older reconditioned Dell Win7 laptop from eBay for £120 and it’s been absolutely fine. I’d just get the cheapest you can find if that’s all you’re going to use it for
Bootcamp?

As above, a small 12" laptop from early years (~10 now) of Windows 7. Now even uprated with a SSD-hard disk just to make it more rugged to carry around (also speeds up old computer). The smaller the better - in this case. A new'ish battery is a big plus eliminating a dangling/missing cable when having a quick session. Minimum 1 USB port, perhaps second for a mouse. WiFi if opting for HEX-NET. Display of 800x600 would be nice but even 640x480 would work.

Bootcamp?
Yes, it would work. However, AFAIK also a Windows license is needed, usually some £££

Last edited:
Careful with this machine. It's got eMMC storage, not an SSD. eMMC is an embedded memory card. Similar technology but not the same performance. As any windows install is a memory hog you need more RAM than a field of sheep, and a good HDD or an SSD, this should give you a better longevity with the machine.
Then it's just the right port for external connectivity as above.

Additional: this processor is a lite one. Typically powers lite PCs and most Chromebooks but could struggle with a full win environment over time. It's good, just might clog up as you fill the machine and it has more to do.

EMMC is the same technology as SSD but built into a card, think the card you put in your camera. It's good just not as resilient as an SSD due to its smaller construction. A HDD is older tech but now cheaper and easier to change out.
In this Lenovo the celeron processor will give you a little more oomph but has a smaller eMMC memory. Go bigger for future proofing.
For what you want initially either of these will do but be aware that as you hit the web and install lots of different software, download movies, watch you tube etc, over time the bloat-ware will wear down the processor speed and the eMMC may struggle.
Don't get me wrong both are good but Windows likes to suck up lots of extraneous stuff so performance longevity might be an issue. It's windows I'd be concerned with regards the processor rather than the processor itself.

EMMC is the same technology as SSD but built into a card, think the card you put in your camera. It's good just not as resilient as an SSD due to its smaller construction. A HDD is older tech but now cheaper and easier to change out.
In this Lenovo the celeron processor will give you a little more oomph but has a smaller eMMC memory. Go bigger for future proofing.
For what you want initially either of these will do but be aware that as you hit the web and install lots of different software, download movies, watch you tube etc, over time the bloat-ware will wear down the processor speed and the eMMC may struggle.
Don't get me wrong both are good but Windows likes to suck up lots of extraneous stuff so performance longevity might be an issue. It's windows I'd be concerned with regards the processor rather than the processor itself.

Thanks, but my point is I wont be downloading stuff, I will use a Mac for most things, just this for any stuff that wont work on my Mac. At the moment its only the vcds and possible the software for my HexCan.

No problem then. Either will do what you want.
Choice is slightly better processor and smaller storage or good processor and more storage. Screen size about the same.
:thumbsup:

Back