KONI Active vs Heavy Track

lexc

VIP Member
Hi all,

I am looking to replace the shocks all round on my T6 Transporter but not looking to adjust ride height.

In my area, my options are KONI Heavy Track or Super Active. I have read the write-ups on both and after sifting through the marketing jargon I can't really see how you could choose one over the other as they are both "the best" just in a lot more words lol. The cost difference is also negligible.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these that they can share?

Bearing in mind about 30% of my driving is on corrugated dirt roads with maybe 5% on actual rough terrain and the rest on asphalt. The van is almost always empty in the back, with the exception of just 2 loose seats. The back is very rarely heavily laden.

Thanks,

Hi all,

I am looking to replace the shocks all round on my T6 Transporter but not looking to adjust ride height.

In my area, my options are KONI Heavy Track or Super Active. I have read the write-ups on both and after sifting through the marketing jargon I can't really see how you could choose one over the other as they are both "the best" just in a lot more words lol. The cost difference is also negligible.

Bearing in mind about 30% of my driving is on corrugated dirt roads with maybe 5% on actual rough terrain and the rest on asphalt. The van is almost always empty in the back, with the exception of just 2 loose seats. The back is very rarely heavily laden.

Thanks,

Hi and welcome, you may wish to reach out to a couple of our suspension companies on here that can assist you. @CRS Performance @ChrisR @BognorMotors

Hi all,

Thanks,
Hi and welcome, you may wish to reach out to a couple of our suspension companies on here that can assist you. @CRS Performance @ChrisR @BognorMotors
I’m going to leave this one to Steve @CRS Performance , he knows more about the SA market than I do so might be better qualified to advise on the real world pros and cons of each option.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Hi there , welcome to the madness !!

The KONI dampers you refer to are identical to look at and both work extremely well if applied correctly . In all Honesty i have only ever seen one negative comment on the Special actives and that was because they were incorrectly applied .

The KONI sport is the one we sell the most of and its damping adjustable , This feature is good to tailor a handling package to a clients needs and also allows us to fine tune the forces to cope with heavier wheels ( 19 and 20 inch ) Often fitted to vans between 40 and 60 mm drops .
The Special active is identical to the above damper but with one difference The rebound forces .

A shock has 2 characteristics one is the bump motion ( wheel up ) which dictates the responsive feel of the car , the second is the rebound ( wheel down ) this determines how comfortable a shock is , The Special active can automatically detect big bumps in the road and soften up by itself to smooth the bumps out . The problem is that in its softened up mode it needs travel and lowering the van or car removes travel so we don't like to apply this shock in low cars .

I would be interested to see what other options you are given by my fellow traders but in my opinion you need the Normal ones ( you referred to them as Heavy track in your inquiry ) . I think this will be the more rugged set for your application and usage .
We fit 20 to 30 sets a month in UK and quite a few in the sister branch in South Africa so we have more experience than most on these parts .

Last edited:
Back