Mine's going in tomorrow....did any of you guys get charged for the use of a courtesy van?

They wanted £10 per day for me to use their insurance. Last time it was off the road for 14 days and I asked for VW to pay for this as it was an ongoing warranty problem, which they did.

This issue makes me really angry, the mix of responses from different dealers from amazing to downright criminal! VW know there are documented issue with the sliding windows which effects about 2 in 10 window units:

1. The small drain holes in the slider groove just not man enough (just a poor design) and then, 2. the lower slider rain becoming adrift from the glass (failure in the bonding material) which then allows water to bypass the drain holes along the bottom edge of the glass/lower rail.

VW customer services in my experience have been great as they realise they need to protect their brand. Dealers however are there to make money and minimise liability.

And breathe..............

Ps mine went in for its first service today. 21000 oil and filters, recall on the auxiliary belt tensioner and return roller. Valet and a local van all day. Under the prepay plan, £0.00........

Agree 100%.
The first problem is the quality of the windows, the second is the people at customers services seem to be clueless.

Don’t pay! Get hold of vw customer services and complain, the dealers will just not want to know.

customer.services@vwfs.co.uk

They will pay for any out of pocket expenses and compensation for the hassle caused.
I've just emailed them now Dave......thanks for that! I'm not fussed over a few quid but maybe it's me.....I think it's a cheek!

Reactions: DSB
Well VW Wrexham rang me today to book my window replacement in. Apparently they don't do the work themselves but sub it out to a glass company on the same estate. Going to let them do it as I've waited so long now but thats the last time I take it there.

Did VW give any indication about whether the replacement window is less likely to leak?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a genuine VW side window, or an aftermarket version. I'm aware that the VW windows cost much more, but they also look much better!

The deciding factor for me is how likely are they to leak, and can I do anything to prevent leaking?. Does anyone know how common the problem is, or any maintenance tips to prevent VW windows from leaking?

Your thoughts here would be appreciated!

Dave

I think the trick is to keep the drain holes clear (often come blocked from the factory) and the seals lubed to stop them overly drying out

Thanks for the reply Pauly.

I've been advised by a fitter that the genuine VW OEM windows will DEFINATELY leak. Does anyone hear have experience of a VW OEM window which has lasted many years being opened and closed without leaking?

Both of mine have been done under warranty within 12 months but no probs since they were sorted

How long has it been since they were done under warranty?

I wonder if your new windows have improved seals compared with your previous ones...

Any idea whether VW will provide a warranty for a leaking VW window retro-fitted to a panel van camper conversion?

Hi guys, first post on here. Bought an ex demo LWB. (reg March 2017) in July. Has spoiler on tailgate. First heavy rainfall, leaking on both sides of sliders and tailgate full of water. Returned it, said the spoiler hadn't been sealed properly on installation and would be sorted. Was told the windows were meant to be sorted since the problems with the T5. Long story short, raining all day today - looks like it'll be going down for a 4th set of windows and spoiler sealed for the 2nd time. Last time I took the van down was told by Ruby on service that they constantly have T6's there for the same problem, the windows can't be fixed, only replaced and the one's they take out are disposed of. Love my T6, had a few modifications done but don't want to exchange it. Should I try and get money back? Any advice welcome. Thanks Flug

Hi guys, first post on here. Bought an ex demo LWB. (reg March 2017) in July. Has spoiler on tailgate. First heavy rainfall, leaking on both sides of sliders and tailgate full of water. Returned it, said the spoiler hadn't been sealed properly on installation and would be sorted. Was told the windows were meant to be sorted since the problems with the T5. Long story short, raining all day today - looks like it'll be going down for a 4th set of windows and spoiler sealed for the 2nd time. Last time I took the van down was told by Ruby on service that they constantly have T6's there for the same problem, the windows can't be fixed, only replaced and the one's they take out are disposed of. Love my T6, had a few modifications done but don't want to exchange it. Should I try and get money back? Any advice welcome. Thanks Flug
Welcome @Flug, sounds like a rather crappy start.
In all honesty i’d have to say that I would reject the vehicle and demand full refund.

what @DaveyB says. what a shame for you mate....VW pretend to be premium vehicles, but the service is far from premium! How is it that the after market window suppliers can provide windows that are watertight and VW can't! I was warned before I bought mine......"buy a panel van mate and have some after market windows fitted"......I thought, yeh, right.....is he seriously telling me that an automotive giant like VW can't make waterproof windows? Ah well, ya live and learn. If I get a re occurrence, I may insist they take mine out and fit some aftermarket ones.....mind you, they'd probably trash the other side in the name of symmetry! I was told by a VW employee that the dealers have laid off staff as a direct result of the emissions scandal which has badly wounded the VW balance sheet. I have no reason to doubt the guy.....he agreed, I wasn't getting good service BECAUSE I drive a commercial.....cheeky b*stards! :mad:

Dave, the seals are he same in the T6 as in the T5.1.. no changes have been made, and VW are adamant that there isnt a problem...

Agree, the seals are not really the issue, keep the clean and the drains free they should be fine. The bigger problem is if the lower frame rail is not bonded correctly, letting water straight into the van.

Looks like that`s a real shocker, I had both side windows replaced on my T5 (2006) and when I purchased the new T6 in 2016 what do you know both windows were leaking.....
Fixed under warranty, my point is how do VW get away with knowingly producing a vehicle with a serial manufacturing defect and adopting the policy fixing post delivery to customer under warranty?
Surely the PDI at the dealership should pick this up, (naive of me VW are chancers).
Oh and just for the record, Keep a weary eye out for the dreaded Engine Management light or if your really unlucky limp mode.
You may be in for a replacement vacuum pump or inlet manifold.
I have had both these time consuming repairs carried out by Camberley Van Center (10/10 customer service).
3 year warranty is ok but the manufacturer would be better off building better quality vans in the first place.
Its obviously less expensive to book against the warranty budget than to improve build quality.
Never mind what hell it causes the customer.
Still I did buy second one.
Can`t praise Camberley van center enough.
Good luck

Mine were both replaced yesterday (under warranty). We had a horrendous downpour last night and when I checked the van this morning it was bone dry so all good so far. :)

Reject it.
I have just picked mine up today, its been in the dealer since 3rd Jan. I have had 2 complete new windows and door cards. (This is the second complete new set)
IMO there is an issue with opening side Kombi windows as so many fail, but VW are saying there is not,

The dealer told me today that anew T6's now come with non opening side windows as standard not opening ones (Openers come as an extra)

Back