Kombi Van And Vat Is A Caravelle Conversion Ok

Semisonic

VIP Member
T6 Pro
hi guys

Was looking at a lwb Kombi high I line 4 motion dsg 204 but reading about the vat exclusion has put me off
Thinking of going down the buying as above but a twin slider door van and going to converters to line it etc with Caravelle rails and extra seats ?
Any one know what they roughly charge ?
Does it still qualify to claim vat back ?
Does this invalidate the warranty ? And put insurance up ?
Used to have a carravelle it was awesome for changing the layout !!!!

hi guys

Was looking at a lwb Kombi high I line 4 motion dsg 204 but reading about the vat exclusion has put me off
Thinking of going down the buying as above but a twin slider door van and going to converters to line it etc with Caravelle rails and extra seats ?
Any one know what they roughly charge ?
Does it still qualify to claim vat back ?
Does this invalidate the warranty ? And put insurance up ?
Used to have a carravelle it was awesome for changing the layout !!!!
VAT exclusion?

Had this with my accountant last week. I already have a converted highline t6, so no arguments from me about reclaiming the vat. (a step too far me thinks)
However i am now looking to buy another t6. A 204 dsg highline Kombi. I told my accountants and they came back with "it really should be a panel van" "the extra seats suggest using it for leisure"
and a few other things which at that time i switched off. Now i'm not saying it won't be used for leisure because lets face it it is a nice van. But primarily it is a van bought through my company, i am vat registered and when i come to sell it i will be vat liable. My accountant has in no certain terms been told to put it through when applicable. Basically if you are vat registered and you can prove it is for business purposes (all be it loosely) then vat is re-claimable. My accountant does a wonderful job of keeping me between the lines, but they seriously hack me off when i pay 4k a year, and to be told i can't claim back vat because i might use the van for leisure sometimes, and its a little bit posh to be classed as a van.

A Kombi is no different to a Transit crew cab in my eyes. It just presents a better image when dealing with blue chip clients.
HMRC should realise, the more business I generate by portraying the right image, the more VAT & Tax my company pays.

pLqLfti5Ri6I+DexeB%0lA.jpg

This was my Kombi at 10am this morning, clearing left over materials from site.
Perhaps I should take more pictures to prove my Kombi is also a working van.

A Kombi is no different to a Transit crew cab in my eyes. It just presents a better image when dealing with blue chip clients.
HMRC should realise, the more business I generate by portraying the right image, the more VAT & Tax my company pays.

Totally agree. My clients want a competitive quote but they also want to see i am a profit making business. God knows what they would think if i turned up in a robin reliant.

And this is my Kombi now, ready to arrive at Aerospace tomorrow to quote for some extensive building works creating a new boardroom for the directors.

fullsizeoutput_1a61.jpeg

Its a great multi purpose vehicle that portrays a professional image. (Apart from the BATVAN sticker):whistle:
I'm sure you get the message I'm no fan of HMRC's petty clampdowns on small to medium companies who are just trying to make a living.:mad:

And this is my Kombi now, ready to arrive at Aerospace tomorrow to quote for some extensive building works creating a new boardroom for the directors.

View attachment 30114

Its a great multi purpose vehicle that portrays a professional image. (Apart from the BATVAN sticker):whistle:
I'm sure you get the message I'm no fan of HMRC's petty clampdowns on small to medium companies who are just trying to make a living.:mad:

Gotta say thats a cracking van. Its the same colour van i'm going to liverpool vw commercials to see on Friday

Gotta say thats a cracking van. Its the same colour van i'm going to liverpool vw commercials to see on Friday
Blackberry is the best colour, in my opinion, but you need to keep on top of the cleaning as it shows up the dirt like nothing else. I've had mine ceramic coated and it was the best £500 I've ever spent. I paid for it myself as I'm sure HMRC would say its not a legitimate expense even though the results speak for themselves. As you said previously, "My clients want a competitive quote but they also want to see i am a profit making business. God knows what they would think if i turned up in a robin reliant." Its true, you can be too flash and turning up in a Bentley is a no no but a clean, smart looking van installs a great deal of confidence in my clients.

I also use mine as a mobile site office. This provides welfare, a dry warm space, for my lads if the weather turns wet/cold whilst working outside. I need to provide that under CDM and H&S and the Kombi with it 5 seats fits that bill. A Caravelle would suit the purpose even better.

Blackberry is the best colour, in my opinion, but you need to keep on top of the cleaning as it shows up the dirt like nothing else. I've had mine ceramic coated and it was the best £500 I've ever spent. I paid for it myself as I'm sure HMRC would say its not a legitimate expense even though the results speak for themselves. As you said previously, "My clients want a competitive quote but they also want to see i am a profit making business. God knows what they would think if i turned up in a robin reliant." Its true, you can be too flash and turning up in a Bentley is a no no but a clean, smart looking van installs a great deal of confidence in my clients.

I also use mine as a mobile site office. This provides welfare, a dry warm space, for my lads if the weather turns wet/cold whilst working outside. I need to provide that under CDM and H&S and the Kombi with it 5 seats fits that bill. A Caravelle would suit the purpose even better.
Don’t forget toilet and warm running water under CDM ;)

well done chaps it does cheese me off the vat thing !!! But still quite like the idea off carravelle rails then can move the seats around as I need them or jobs require any ideas on cost for rails fitted ?
By the way run my own building firm

well done chaps it does cheese me off the vat thing !!! But still quite like the idea off carravelle rails then can move the seats around as I need them or jobs require any ideas on cost for rails fitted ?
Sorry, I hijacked your thread a bit there with my rant on HMRC. @andythom188 or @Fish are probably the best guys to advise on costs.

There is a thread on here somewhere regarding seats on the rails. Going from memory i think 4k was banded about but don't quote me. They do look full on, but i think you have to lay at least 18mm ply for the rails to sit in so as to set them flush with the finished floor.

If a discovery commercial can be classed as a “panel van” for VAT purposes legitimately then as long as the pope is catholic a kombi can.
@gal2009 maybe change your accountant :thumbsup:

From memory there is a guy Colin, who is based in Oxford and comes highly recommend for Caravelle conversions. As @gal2009 said, £4k springs to my mind and I thinks its more difficult on a LWB as I believe (but could be wrong) the Caravelle only comes in SWB which sounds daft as you would think you would need the extra length.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on the subject will be along soon.

Had this with my accountant last week. I already have a converted highline t6, so no arguments from me about reclaiming the vat. (a step too far me thinks)
However i am now looking to buy another t6. A 204 dsg highline Kombi. I told my accountants and they came back with "it really should be a panel van" "the extra seats suggest using it for leisure"
and a few other things which at that time i switched off. Now i'm not saying it won't be used for leisure because lets face it it is a nice van. But primarily it is a van bought through my company, i am vat registered and when i come to sell it i will be vat liable. My accountant has in no certain terms been told to put it through when applicable. Basically if you are vat registered and you can prove it is for business purposes (all be it loosely) then vat is re-claimable. My accountant does a wonderful job of keeping me between the lines, but they seriously hack me off when i pay 4k a year, and to be told i can't claim back vat because i might use the van for leisure sometimes, and its a little bit posh to be classed as a van.

check the log book. I was worried regarding the VAT,we rang the tax office and they said as long as the log book has category N1(carriage of goods)it would be fine ,even though its a kombi. Category M1 is for carriage of people,Eg-vw shuttle,caravello,So technically you cant claim Vat,unless your going to be a taxi driver? The Revenue had a case against coca cola who where claiming that there vans, think they were vivaro combos where purely for carriage of goods even though they had seating behind the driver.they lost the case,The Revnue are now taking more interest in multi purpose vans.

Back