Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the APNR cameras issue tickets according to N1 or M1, even though its the wrong criteria. I have read post (not on here) by people have successfully appealed because their van fulfilled the DPV criteria. I’m thinking of getting mine weighed and keeping a copy in the van just in case.
This is where things get confusing........I have not received any tickets for doing car speeds through average speed cameras and by mobile cameras. My van is N1 registered. There must be something else they are going by too. Otherwise id be banned by now.

ANPR is nothing to do with speed enforcement.
ANPR looks for vehicle registrations that are "of interest" to Police, then it alerts Police either at HQ or in the patrol car, an ANPR camera has no way to ascertain your speed.

ANPR looks for vehicle registrations that are "of interest" to Police, then it alerts Police either at HQ or in the patrol car, an ANPR camera has no way to ascertain your speed.

I meant the cameras that automatically do the speed and send the NIP. I shouldn’t have used the ANPR.

From that article: "The vehicle V5 must display a Body Type descriptor that most accurately reflects how a vehicle appears in traffic, as a vehicle’s Body Type is used to assist the police and other enforcement agencies with an obvious outward description of the vehicle."

This is understandable I guess. In our Council area, new build houses without a street number, have to have a name that helps to locate them for emergency services. Therefore 'Dunroamin' or 'Ned's Gaff' are not acceptable. Church View Cottage, Oak Tree House, Gallows Hill Bungalow would be fine.
Two miles away in the next council area, anything goes - w****r Towers, Fir Kew Hall, etc.......... Much fun was had via email naming our new build.

Some one asked if people get tickets who own kombis........

I own a T5 T32 kombi , vehicle is M1

I got caught doing 70 on a dual carriage way by a mobile speed camera van and received the letter asking if was driving.
(The letter even stated ' You have been caught doing 70 in a 70')
I admitted I was driving but politely attached my V5 saying I'm a M1 diesel car , Complete with windows and rear seats

Police force in Devon responded asking for:
A copy of the vehicles exact unladen weight (This was on the V5 that was by now already provided)
Photo of the van interior showing transverse seats
Photos of front / rear / sides of van to show it is has windows

The Road Vehicles Regulations 1986 Part 1 Regulation 3:
.... unladen weight does not exceed 2040kg

my V5 states :
[Y] Revenue Weight 2154.0 KG UNLADEN
G Mass in Service 2229

So i suspect VW T5 T32 Kombi M1 fall outside of the scope to drive 'car' speeds

I got caught doing 70 on a dual carriage way by a mobile speed camera van and received the letter asking if was driving.
I admitted I was driving but politely attached my V5 saying I'm a M1 diesel car , Complete with windows and rear seats

A copy of the vehicles exact unladen weight (This was on the V5 that was by now already provided)

my V5 states :
G Mass in Service 2229

What is on your V5 is irrelevant, all that matters is the actual unladen weight, that is without any load, fuel, tools, passengers or driver. VWs definition of 'unladen weight' is not the same as the Road Traffic Act definition. You need to get it on a public weighbridge in an unladen condition , with minimum fuel, and find out it's actual weight. Your quoted mass in service seems high, is it a 4 Motion or a LWB?

My T6 T32 SWB Kombi 150 DSG has a quoted mass in service of 2137 kg but that includes 75kg for the driver and a full fuel load of 70 litres. Deducting 75 kg for the driver and 90% of 70 litres of diesel (63 litres @ 0.832 kg/litre = 52.416 kg) puts me at 2009.584 kg unladen weight as defined by the Road traffic Act.

my V5 states :
G Mass in Service 2229

That certainly muddies the waters further . M1 classification surely exempts the vehicle from all of the overly complicated N1 commercial regulations . For example a current model BMW X7 with M1 classification has unladen weight between 2395 - 2555 kg. The whole sub 3.5 ton vehicle classification system in the UK needs an urgent re-think.

That certainly muddies the waters further . M1 classification surely exempts the vehicle from all of the overly complicated N1 commercial regulations . For example a current model BMW X7 with M1 classification has unladen weight between 2395 - 2555 kg. The whole sub 3.5 ton vehicle classification system in the UK needs an urgent re-think.
Yip. Been banging on about this for ages.
Mechanically identical M1 motorcaravan, then it's 3050kg thats the unlucky number. Yet dual purpose vehicle like certain Kombi's and its 2040kgs that relevant. Legislation outdated and not fit for purpose. Bonkers!

Is ANPR not just the generic name for software that identifies a number plate on a vehicle, then reads the characters. Whereby now the VRM detected is simply compared against DVLA, PNC and various intelligence databases. However it's used in all sorts of systems these days from law enforcement, parking and congestion charges, traffic management and the like, by various organisations.

Average speed cameras must use this technology to detect a vehicle entering the measured area, then also compare the VRM as it leaves the area. How else would you calculate the speed of the vehicle, without using human intervention to detect and identify a specific vehicle, over a lengthy calibrated distance? Average speed cameras are essentially an automated form of VASCAR.

Last edited:
there should be a sticker in the van showing maximum and unladen weights.
I've been looking everywhere and the only one I could find is in the engine bay.
Can anyone explain what those numbers mean? And if my kombi t30 can pass as dual purpose vehicle……?
thanks20200908_093012.jpg

A T30 Kombi should fit within the Dual Purpose Guidelines from an unladen weight perspective. Just check your V5 and providing it's within 2040kg you are good to go. The V5 will will show 'Mass in Service' which is actually more than unladen weight but I think a T30 FWD Kombi's MAS figure is probably within 2040kg anyway. If not there is a driver / fuel deduction you can use - not sure exact figure but c. 125kg.

Looks like there are many variations, my T32 SWB 2WD Kombi is 2095Kg.

just checked my v5 T30 kombi swb and mass in service is 2062. so ideally taking into account weight of the driver/fuel there should be no problems to challenge a speeding ticket

Can anyone explain what those numbers mean?
20200908_093012-jpg.84387
I think it’ll be
3000kg max laden weight.
5200kg max train (towing) weight.
with 1 and 2 being your axle weights - for wheel and tyre ratings you should divide the lower amount, ie: 800kg in your case.

ANPR is a technology not a camera type and is used for various things such as alerts to Police, but also in average speed cameras, car park monitoring etc.

So you can get ANPR enable speed cameras (as well as all the other Jazz).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back