Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting...So what van do you have please? Is there a particular van that is the last in line to be able to do car speed limits? This is all so confusing! Thanks
I'm led to believe a Shuttle and a Caravelle come with M1 status as standard ( some one please correct me if I'm wrong )
Its my opinion If you have a van that has side and rear windows, a row of seats in the back and has a mass in service of less than 2040kg then you are a dual purpose vehicle and car speed limits apply.
I have a Factory Kombi and mass in service says 2004kg on my log book.
I have document from VW themselves telling me its dual purpose and i meet all other criteria i have researched from police scotland, traffic scotland and dept of transport.
Been through many average speed cameras up here in Scotland and no NIP's. Also got filmed by a police van on a dual carriage way at 72mp ish and no ticket there either.

Interesting...So what van do you have please? Is there a particular van that is the last in line to be able to do car speed limits? This is all so confusing! Thanks
What is your van and what is its mass in service?

I'm led to believe a Shuttle and a Caravelle come with M1 status as standard ( some one please correct me if I'm wrong )
Its my opinion If you have a van that has side and rear windows, a row of seats in the back and has a mass in service of less than 2040kg then you are a dual purpose vehicle and car speed limits apply.
I have a Factory Kombi and mass in service says 2004kg on my log book.
I have document from VW themselves telling me its dual purpose and i meet all other criteria i have researched from police scotland, traffic scotland and dept of transport.
Been through many average speed cameras up here in Scotland and no NIP's. Also got filmed by a police van on a dual carriage way at 72mp ish and no ticket there either.
Thank you. very useful info. What is your exact van? I'm hoping to get the new 6.1 combo highline T32 - Is there somewhere to check online about the 'mass in service' figures etc? Does anyone have my proposed vehicle? what does it say on your paperwork?
Cheers!

Thank you. very useful info. What is your exact van? I'm hoping to get the new 6.1 combo highline T32 - Is there somewhere to check online about the 'mass in service' figures etc? Does anyone have my proposed vehicle? what does it say on your paperwork?
Cheers!
A T6 T32 is overweight....dont know T6.1 specs...sorry

Just got my V5C through today for my new van - T30 LWB - and "mass in service' is 2080kg, so definitely outside the DPV weight:(
There is a loophole of sorts where you can minus the driver (75kg) that will get you into weight........there is something about fuel aswell that can be deducted. But it depends if the cameras use the v5 mass in service weight. In court you could possibly get away with it.......but the cameras might ping you.
This thread is a long read but the driver and fuel bit is written about on a few occasions.

There is a loophole of sorts where you can minus the driver (75kg) that will get you into weight........there is something about fuel aswell that can be deducted. But it depends if the cameras use the v5 mass in service weight. In court you could possibly get away with it.......but the cameras might ping you.
This thread is a long read but the driver and fuel bit is written about on a few occasions.
It would be interesting to know if you could get away with more if you actually weighed more - say 95kgs for example?

It would be interesting to know if you could get away with more if you actually weighed more - say 95kgs for example?
'M'Lud - at the time of the alleged offence, I was a bit of a bloater having consumed an abundance of pasties washed down with pints of Old Bodger, and without the benefit of regular exercise, had piled on a few extra pounds. Therefore, once my not inconsiderable mass is subtracted from the weight of the vehicle, I submit it to you that it was in fact below the Mass in Service weight limit required to qualify as a Multi Purpose Vehicle...' :oops: :uh run:

Last edited:
'M'Lud - at the time of the alleged offence, I was a bit of a bloater having consumed an abundance of pasties washed down with pints of Old Bodger, and without the benefit of regular exercise, had piled on a few extra pounds. Therefore, once my not inconsiderate mass is subtracted from the weight of the vehicle, I submit it to you that it was in fact below the Mass in Service weight limit required to qualify as a Multi Purpose Vehicle...' :oops: :uh run:
Brilliant..... :rofl:

M1 being the magic letters.......and still allowed a couple of pasties
I've been doing a bit of research on this and I now believe that it is not mass in service that matters but the vehicle unladen mass.

I've been doing a bit of research on this and I now believe that it is not mass in service that matters but the vehicle unladen mass.

Am I correct in thinking unladen mass = mass in service minus the driver / fuel allowance ??

Exactly. Mass in service is on the V5, but it's not what's used to calculate dual purpose vehicle status. I'm over 2040kg (mass in service on my V5) on my T32 but under when you take away the standard calcs to get to unladen weight

Think it would be a good idea if people who get pulled or sent a ticket for the info to be shared on here.
Maybe we can see how they distinguish between dual purpose or not.

Exactly. Mass in service is on the V5, but it's not what's used to calculate dual purpose vehicle status. I'm over 2040kg (mass in service on my V5) on my T32 but under when you take away the standard calcs to get to unladen weight

I totally agree with you on this point. However is it that clear for the cameras and police or would they send a ticket based on your mass in service?
This is the info i think everybody is a bit bewildered by.

I think in reality we don't know until you either get sent a fine or you go to court to argue it.

Agree that it would be helpful to here everyone's real life experience

Think it would be a good idea if people who get pulled or sent a ticket for the info to be shared on here.
Maybe we can see how they distinguish between dual purpose or not.

I totally agree with you on this point. However is it that clear for the cameras and police or would they send a ticket based on your mass in service?
This is the info i think everybody is a bit bewildered by.
I know the APNR cameras issue tickets according to N1 or M1, even though its the wrong criteria. I have read post (not on here) by people have successfully appealed because their van fulfilled the DPV criteria. I’m thinking of getting mine weighed and keeping a copy in the van just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back