Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, been doing lots of research, I have a T6 Kombi with a mass in service of 2133kg on the V5.

If I remove 75kg for the driver and 52kg for fuel (70l fuel tank x 0.832kg/l diesel weight x 90%) this would reduce my unladen weight to 2006kg, allowing me to class the vehicle as a dual purpose vehicle.

Separately, on P41 of the T6 brochure (T6 Panel Van / Kombi Brochure Feb 2019) it says the unladen weight of a T32 150bhp TDI DSG kombi is 2102kg, but at the bottom it says "Unladen weight includes approximately 90% fuel load and 75kg for driver". That gets me to an even lower figure, but seems like they're mixing unladen weight with mass in service. Unless I can then remove fuel and driver weight from the unladen weight in the brochure to get to a real unladen weight. Even more confusing, my V5 mass in service figure and calculated unladen weight is different from the brochure, although i have some options which might tip it up a bit more (like a twin slider)

I've emailed VW customer service but they've been beyond useless. First line of enquiry fizzled out because it was so bad, have tried again but still not having much luck

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hi guys, been doing lots of research, I have a T6 Kombi with a mass in service of 2133kg on the V5.

If I remove 75kg for the driver and 52kg for fuel (70l fuel tank x 0.832kg/l diesel weight x 90%) this would reduce my unladen weight to 2006kg, allowing me to class the vehicle as a dual purpose vehicle.

Separately, on P41 of the T6 brochure (T6 Panel Van / Kombi Brochure Feb 2019) it says the unladen weight of a T32 150bhp TDI DSG kombi is 2102kg, but at the bottom it says "Unladen weight includes approximately 90% fuel load and 75kg for driver". That gets me to an even lower figure, but seems like they're mixing unladen weight with mass in service. Unless I can then remove fuel and driver weight from the unladen weight in the brochure to get to a real unladen weight. Even more confusing, my V5 mass in service figure and calculated unladen weight is different from the brochure, although i have some options which might tip it up a bit more (like a twin slider)

I've emailed VW customer service but they've been beyond useless. First line of enquiry fizzled out because it was so bad, have tried again but still not having much luck

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
This is the never ending ride in the grey area of dual purpose.
I agree with what your saying and if it was taken to court then you would win.
If you get pulled by the police then with documentation then i think you would be ok too.
Its the average and mobile speed cameras that are the hassle if they are not able to detect if you are a van with windows.
In my experience of average speed cameras and mobile camera i have been ok. Im 2004kg on log book though...not sure if this is whats being checked against and therefore not being nip'd.
These are just my opinions though on my take in the law surrounding this topic. (May be incorrect) I have however extensively researched this and put many many hours and loads of emails and net surfing to come to my conclusion.

I got done for doing 68mph on dual carriageway in my 5.1 Kombi

I was told usually if you have a rear window it is classed as a car but check the V5

I was told usually if you have a rear window it is classed as a car but check the V5
Is your a factory kombi (v5 van with windows) or converted?

mines a factory and never had an issue yet

i think you should challenge that. What does your V5 state as the class?

i think you should challenge that. What does your V5 state as the class?
It was a factory kombi, was a while ago now and don’t have the van anymore, had it as a company car so may have been ordered as a van to get around the BIC value

id advise anyone to check the V5 if they are unsure cost me £100 & 3 points to find out. As I didnt have the V5

Is your a factory kombi (v5 van with windows) or converted?

mines a factory and never had an issue yet
I’m sure this isn’t right as mine was a panel van but on the v5 it’s a van with windows. I assume I’m on the lower speed limits. I thought it depends if it’s N1 or M1.

I’m sure this isn’t right as mine was a panel van but on the v5 it’s a van with windows. I assume I’m on the lower speed limits. I thought it depends if it’s N1 or M1.
The N1 and M1 dont really matter. If its an M1 you are allowed to do car speed limits.
N1 is a grey area. If you meet the requirements you can do car speed limits. Its all about seats, windows and mass in service weight.
I'm an N1 and my Van meets all the criteria of dual purpose and I do car speed limits.
I used my paperwork at the local recycling centre on monday to prove i was a dual purpose van and not just a van. The were not letting vans in. They looked at my paperwork and agreed without any hassle.

The N1 and M1 dont really matter. If its an M1 you are allowed to do car speed limits.
N1 is a grey area. If you meet the requirements you can do car speed limits. Its all about seats, windows and mass in service weight.
I'm an N1 and my Van meets all the criteria of dual purpose and I do car speed limits.
I used my paperwork at the local recycling centre on monday to prove i was a dual purpose van and not just a van. The were not letting vans in. They looked at my paperwork and agreed without any hassle.
Ok, well my van has a Caravelle triple seat, is a van with windows. Is 5 seats on the v5 and has a mass in service of 2000. Out of interest would that qualify me to the higher speed limits?

Interesting that those 2 links seem to have contradictory info.

in the second link it says
Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

So are our vans not over 2 tonnes laden, therefore not DPVs? Which contradicts the first link. o_O

This is such a grey area. The unladed weight and mass in service weights make it even more confusing as they mean different things. My factory Kombi 150 Highline has an unladed weight of 2055kg but this includes a 90% full tank and a 75kg driver this is from the VW brochure for my MY.
The DVLA have a different interpretation of unladed weight:The unladen weight of any vehicle is the weight of the vehicle when it’s not carrying any passengers, goods or other items.It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle or trailer when it’s used on a road.It doesn’t include the weight of: fuel
The Mass in Service figure on my V5 is 2066kg (which I think includes fuel and 75kg driver). I think you would still be caught by ANPR and then it would be up to you to challenge.

Interesting that those 2 links seem to have contradictory info.

in the second link it says
Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

So are our vans not over 2 tonnes laden, therefore not DPVs? Which contradicts the first link. o_O
I think it does get complicated. One link gives the speed limits for a dual purpose vehicle. The other link defines what a dual purpose vehicle is. A dual purpose vehicle should weigh no more than 2040KG unladen. A car derived van should have a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes.
However, the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 gives a fuller definition of a Dual Purpose Vehicle:
dual-purpose vehiclea vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods or burden of any description, being a vehicle of which the unladen weight does not exceed 2040 kg, and which either—
(i)
is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or
(ii)
satisfies the following conditions as to construction, namely—
(a)
the vehicle must be permanently fitted with a rigid roof, with or without a sliding panel;
(b)
the area of the vehicle to the rear of the driver's seat must—
(i)
be permanently fitted with at least one row of transverse seats (fixed or folding) for two or more passengers and those seats must be properly sprung or cushioned and provided with upholstered back-rests, attached either to the seats or to a side or the floor of the vehicle; and
(ii)
be lit on each side and at the rear by a window or windows of glass or other transparent material having an area or aggregate area of not less than 1850 square centimetres on each side and not less than 770 square centimetres at the rear; and
(c)
the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the row of transverse seats satisfying the requirements specified in head (i) of sub-paragraph (b) (or, if there is more than one such row of seats, the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the rearmost such row) must, when the seats are ready for use, be not less than one-third of the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the rearmost part of the floor of the vehicle.

Yes, buying as new and expect registration (to me, as first owner) post conversion. At what stage does a vehicle get its identity officially logged with the DVLA - is it when it is built and has a VIN or once it gets registered and the V5 created?

The dealer registers it with the DVLA.

The dealer registers it with the DVLA.
Yes, but up to last summer, if you had completed a full conversion to a campervan, that complied with the regulations at the time, the DVLA would amend the Body Type on the V5 to Motor Caravan. Then the same speed limits as for a car apply.

Yes ignore me, I read the first page and answered that thinking that was all there was and not 22 pages.. I'll go back to sleep

Interesting...So what van do you have please? Is there a particular van that is the last in line to be able to do car speed limits? This is all so confusing! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back