Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But kombis would qualify as duel purpose (if they have a window at the back) and therefore can go 70 on duel carriageways according to the
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986`
accessed from the gov.uk
Right?
(disclaimer: I have read the thread from the start but I seemed to know less the more I'm reading on the gov.uk site so please excuse any errors or duplications!)

That is what I led to believe too. However, you will still get done by an ANPR camera. Then you will have to prove that your van is dual use.....

I beg to differ i'm afraid on the appearance of the van being a factor.........I'm not trying to be argumentative I'm just stating my findings.......... My van is a N1, light goods vehicle like many other vans. However the fact i have windows all round and rear seats changes the speed limits.
There is so much conflicting information out there on this subject. Especially when trying to convert to motor caravan. However my research has only been for my vehicle that is registered as a Factory Kombi . I have researched this topic for months and sent and received countless emails and made many telephone calls., even a trip to the local traffic police dept. But I'm now 99.9% sure that my Factory Kombi listed as a Van/Side windows, 2004kg Mass in service ,6 seats......... is a dual purpose vehicle and therefore car speed limits apply.
I say again that all my research has been done on Factory Kombi's that have rear seats, windows in the side and tailgate and below the 2040kg weight threshold. For motor caravans and caravan conversions i am not sure of.

I think i'm in agreement with you but not because of the body type registration but because it classifies as a dual purpose vehicle but like others have said you would still have to prove that

Just noticed that my panel van with 2 seats in registered as a 3 seat van with windows. Hopefully by now its a 4 seat van with windows and so will soon the v5 will be updated, still interesting error

Last edited:
I think i'm in agreement with you but not because of the body type registration but because it classifies as a dual purpose vehicle but like others have said you would still have to prove that
Might be an idea that anyone who has been Nip'd if they could put up the circumstances and the speed and charge on here that we could get an idea of what prosecution is being applied to what vehicle.:thumbsdown:

As mentioned before i researched this to death from the campervan point of view... and came to conclusion that the lower speeds apply - in my circumstance. That said TBH it would be rare that i would look to go beyond the lower speed limits anyway. Can still go 70mph on a motorway...

P.S. mine was a '69 T32 4motion 204 LWB, 5 seats - glass all way round. it is now in the process of being converted to a camper and will retain 5 belted seats.

As mentioned before i researched this to death from the campervan point of view... and came to conclusion that the lower speeds apply - in my circumstance. That said TBH it would be rare that i would look to go beyond the lower speed limits anyway. Can still go 70mph on a motorway...

P.S. mine was a '69 T32 4motion 204 LWB, 5 seats - glass all way round. it is now in the process of being converted to a camper and will retain 5 belted seats.

So assuming that won't be accepted as a motor caravan (fingers-crossed for you on that!) why would it not qualify as a dual-purpose vehicle? Too heavy?

So assuming that won't be accepted as a motor caravan (fingers-crossed for you on that!) why would it not qualify as a dual-purpose vehicle? Too heavy?
I think all lwb with 4 motion will be over the 2040kg max weight.:cry:

Mass in service before conversion was - 2369kg.(max permissible - 3200kg)...

Or another way to look at it is buy a top of the line Transporter well over 40k retail and pay the extortion tax and not be able to claim it is a company van for work.
Even buying a Leighton Van at mega money it was still under 40k retail (that's before the upgrades and mods) for road tax purposes and has the LGV class for the accountant :D:cool::thumbsup:

Can a van that has had seats fitted be re-classified as a dual-purpose vehicle?

Can a van that has had seats fitted be re-classified as a dual-purpose vehicle?
If it meets all the other criteria such as below 2040kg mass in service and has windows in side and rear and has the v5 changed to van/side windows.
Screenshot_20190918-224838.png

If it meets all the other criteria such as below 2040kg mass in service and has windows in side and rear and has the v5 changed to van/side windows.
View attachment 59613

Thanks for that. My van meets all those conditions on the image and is below the mass in service and has van/side windows on V5.
I can see that letter is in response to a NIP. Do you know is there a for to fill in or have an address where to send the application to?

Thanks again.

Thanks for that. My van meets all those conditions on the image and is below the mass in service and has van/side windows on V5.
I can see that letter is in response to a NIP. Do you know is there a for to fill in or have an address where to send the application to?

Thanks again.
That's a response form for the police to fill in if they are asked by the camera people to come round and check your vehicle if you have been pinged by a mobile or average speed camera.
I have been Lasered by a mobile camera a few weeks ago and not been NIP'd and as in previous posts I have done car speeds through hundreds of miles of average speed cameras and all is good.
I think that the DVLA database is good enough to send the correct info to establish the dual purpose aspect and that why I don't get done.
This is only my experience though...but I'm 99.9% certain of all my claims regarding my kombi.

That's a response form for the police to fill in if they are asked by the camera people to come round and check your vehicle if you have been pinged by a mobile or average speed camera.
I have been Lasered by a mobile camera a few weeks ago and not been NIP'd and as in previous posts I have done car speeds through hundreds of miles of average speed cameras and all is good.
I think that the DVLA database is good enough to send the correct info to establish the dual purpose aspect and that why I don't get done.
This is only my experience though...but I'm 99.9% certain of all my claims regarding my kombi.

Thanks, I understand that. I would prefer to be pre emptive though and do this before I get a NIP, rather than after.

Thanks, I understand that. I would prefer to be pre emptive though and do this before I get a NIP, rather than after.
Excuse my ignorance....but I don't think I'm following your last response.
If I'm reading it wrong I apologise.....but I read it as you want to send a filled in copy of that form I posted to stop any forthcoming Nip's.
That form was passed onto me by the average speed camera people. They give that to the police to run a check list of your vehicle and make sure it meets the criteria if you have received a ticket and you are apealing it.
That form can't be filled in but any Joe blogs. It has to be by police.
Sorry if I've just reiterated what I've already said in previous post but I'm not sure I was being clear.

Excuse my ignorance....but I don't think I'm following your last response.
If I'm reading it wrong I apologise.....but I read it as you want to send a filled in copy of that form I posted to stop any forthcoming Nip's.
That form was passed onto me by the average speed camera people. They give that to the police to run a check list of your vehicle and make sure it meets the criteria if you have received a ticket and you are apealing it.
That form can't be filled in but any Joe blogs. It has to be by police.
Sorry if I've just reiterated what I've already said in previous post but I'm not sure I was being clear.
Thank you. I think maybe I wasn’t clear enough. I meant if the gorm that you posted exists and it I possible to get a van changed to car speed limits if it meets all the criteria in your original post then surely there should be a way to get the vehicle classified prior to receiving a NIP. So no need to appeal saving lots of time and expense for the police and DVLA. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you. I think maybe I wasn’t clear enough. I meant if the gorm that you posted exists and it I possible to get a van changed to car speed limits if it meets all the criteria in your original post then surely there should be a way to get the vehicle classified prior to receiving a NIP. So no need to appeal saving lots of time and expense for the police and DVLA. Hope that makes sense.
Just going on my own recent experience....I think the cameras have kombis sorted....if the mass in service is right you don't seem to be NIP'd.
Handy to keep photo copies of v5. That form I put up and a copy of the DVLA speil.
If you get pulled I'm sure it will get you off.

Just noticed that my panel van with 2 seats in registered as a 3 seat van with windows. Hopefully by now its a 4 seat van with windows and so will soon the v5 will be updated, still interesting error
That's odd, as when I picked up my new 3-seat panel van, it was registered as a 3-seat window van. Which was really handy, as I'd booked it in for window fit. And installed a 4th seat.

Out of interest, those of you that are subject to the lower speed limits, what does your factory sat nav show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back