Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to think the fact that you’ve made as many enquiries as you have, along with getting the letter from the manufacturer of your vehicle telling you it’s dual-purpose, would lead to either the CPS deciding a speeding case was not in the public interest
or a Judge throwing it out of Court.

I’d like to think the fact that you’ve made as many enquiries as you have, along with getting the letter from the manufacturer of your vehicle telling you it’s dual-purpose, would lead to either the CPS deciding a speeding case was not in the public interest
or a Judge throwing it out of Court.
That's my hope.
I have been looking into this for months and written so many emails. It was just a bonus to get a favourable response in writing.
In my eyes if the manufacturer of the vehicle are calling it dual use then that's a big thumbs up for me. Scottish transport police looked over my van in person and said it fits all the dual purpose criteria but wouldn't put it in writing.....
Ill still be a bit nervous going through so many average cameras for the first time at 70mph but I'm sure I'll get over it...lol

That's my hope.
I have been looking into this for months and written so many emails. It was just a bonus to get a favourable response in writing.
In my eyes if the manufacturer of the vehicle are calling it dual use then that's a big thumbs up for me. Scottish transport police looked over my van in person and said it fits all the dual purpose criteria but wouldn't put it in writing.....
Ill still be a bit nervous going through so many average cameras for the first time at 70mph but I'm sure I'll get over it...lol

Hi, did you get on ok or still locked up in jail? :):):):):)

Hi, did you get on ok or still locked up in jail? :):):):):)
I've done another 2 trips to Edinburgh since this statement and driven through all the average speed camera's at car speeds and not been issued with a NIP.
The dvla although not helpful on the phone must look at the mass in service and send the correct info to the police:thumbsup:
Also went passed a mobile camera van 2 weeks ago at 70mph on a dual carriage way and survived also!

@Yzfr1 . It maybe the case....and I stress the may part, but it maybe the case that different thresholds are used in the territory to which you refer. Compared to those used south of the wall.

It may also be the case that your speedo under reads your true speed.

The thresholds used in other parts of the UK may differ a bit.

Just saying.

So it’s as clear as mud.

I’ll continue to drive my combi at the speeds I drive the misses car ....

@Yzfr1 . It maybe the case....and I stress the may part, but it maybe the case that different thresholds are used in the territory to which you refer. Compared to those used south of the wall.

It may also be the case that your speedo under reads your true speed.

The thresholds used in other parts of the UK may differ a bit.

Just saying.
I understand different thresholds may be used but without a doubt i would have been Nip'd at 72mph as thats 12mph above legal limit for a goods vehicle. I definitely believe speeds of 60 70 70 are applicable for my van. I used cruise control set at 76mph on my dash and sat nav (Garmin) gps speedo said 72mph.
This done on dual caraige way from stonehaven to dundee A92 which is 60mph for goods vehicles unless they meet the dual purpose criteria.

Just checked my docs on my factory Kombi, N1 (panel van with side windows)
I asked for clarification from a traffic cop last year at a car show and he said side windows and a rear window with clear view front to back and it is classed same as a car, the main one he said was the rear window !!!

I asked for clarification from a traffic cop last year at a car show and he said side windows and a rear window with clear view front to back and it is classed same as a car, the main one he said was the rear window !!!
Mine is also van/side windows N1
None of this matters though if the mass in service figure is above 2040kg on the V5 and at least 2 seats are not fitted behind the first row = Reduced speed limits
Below 2040kg and at least 2 seats behind the driver then your Car speed limits

I understand different thresholds may be used but without a doubt i would have been Nip'd at 72mph as thats 12mph above legal limit for a goods vehicle. I definitely believe speeds of 60 70 70 are applicable for my van. I used cruise control set at 76mph on my dash and sat nav (Garmin) gps speedo said 72mph.
This done on dual caraige way from stonehaven to dundee A92 which is 60mph for goods vehicles unless they meet the dual purpose criteria.

Yeah, if the vehicle your driving isnt subject to 50,60,70 then no, I wouldn't expect a prosecution with the speeds you quote.

But for folk who are restricted, all I'm saying is just be careful. Different areas in the UK will book you at different speeds that are in excess of the limit.

Theres actually a lot more complexity to the speed detection process than folk realise. Especially given there is so many different methods of detection. Cosine error, the effect gradient has on GPS speed, how the tickets are processed, thresholds used, which cameras are active. What you might get away with today, might get you booked tomorrow. A difference of 1mph is all it takes.

That's a new one, you've been told there. Forward facing camera snaps a speed. Where on the V5 does it tell them if the vehicle has a rear window?

Mine is also van/side windows N1
None of this matters though if the mass in service figure is above 2040kg on the V5 and at least 2 seats are not fitted behind the first row = Reduced speed limits
Below 2040kg and at least 2 seats behind the driver then your Car speed limits

Hope you can clarify this for me.
My V5 is Van/side windows. With a category N1 and a mass in service of 2000. It has OEM tailgate window.
It was originally just A van but now has Caravelle rails and a triple bench seat and is insured with 5 seats.
Am I at car limits? What about if the bench seat is temporarily removed?
Thanks.

But kombis would qualify as dual purpose (if they have a window at the back) and therefore can go 70 on dual carriageways according to the
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986`
accessed from the gov.uk
Right?

But I can't how to officially classify a vehicle as dual purpose

(disclaimer: I have read the thread from the start but I seemed to know less the more I'm reading on the gov.uk site so please excuse any errors or duplication's!)

Last edited:
"The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification."
Taken from: Converting a vehicle into a motor caravan (motor home)
I beg to differ i'm afraid on the appearance of the van being a factor.........I'm not trying to be argumentative I'm just stating my findings.......... My van is a N1, light goods vehicle like many other vans. However the fact i have windows all round and rear seats changes the speed limits.
There is so much conflicting information out there on this subject. Especially when trying to convert to motor caravan. However my research has only been for my vehicle that is registered as a Factory Kombi . I have researched this topic for months and sent and received countless emails and made many telephone calls., even a trip to the local traffic police dept. But I'm now 99.9% sure that my Factory Kombi listed as a Van/Side windows, 2004kg Mass in service ,6 seats......... is a dual purpose vehicle and therefore car speed limits apply.
I say again that all my research has been done on Factory Kombi's that have rear seats, windows in the side and tailgate and below the 2040kg weight threshold. For motor caravans and caravan conversions i am not sure of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back