Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I understand this but now I’m not quite sure.

My van is classified N1. It has 5 seats on the log book (caravelle triple seat behind front seats).
It has mass in service on the V5 of 2000.

I thought I was still on the lower speed limits but this has got me wondering.

Can anyone clarify please?

I thought I understand this but now I’m not quite sure.

My van is classified N1. It has 5 seats on the log book (caravelle triple seat behind front seats).
It has mass in service on the V5 of 2000.

I thought I was still on the lower speed limits but this has got me wondering.

Can anyone clarify please?
If it has side windows and rear windows and under 2040 mass in service then it qualifies as car speed limits.
That is my understanding of the written requirements. It does need the seats in the back if the police stop you. Via a camera you might get away without the seats.
I'm gonna air on the side of caution and drive at lower speeds when seats are removed and I'm hauling my motor bike(s)

If it has side windows and rear windows and under 2040 mass in service then it qualifies as car speed limits.
That is my understanding of the written requirements. It does need the seats in the back if the police stop you. Via a camera you might get away without the seats.
I'm gonna air on the side of caution and drive at lower speeds when seats are removed and I'm hauling my motor bike(s)

That’s what I was coming to the conclusion of. My van has a window in the slider and an equivalent one in the off side plus a tailgate window.
My worry is not so much being stopped by police but being caught by speed cameras that read the number plate and assume it’s still a standard panel van.

That’s what I was coming to the conclusion of. My van has a window in the slider and an equivalent one in the off side plus a tailgate window.
My worry is not so much being stopped by police but being caught by speed cameras that read the number plate and assume it’s still a standard panel van.

But if it's a Kombi, it will say so on the V5 surely.

This is why I've been doing so much investigating into it. Want to be totally sure that when the average speed cameras send me a tickets I have the correct and relevant info to get it nulled immediately.
I think I have reached that stage and understanding.

Yeah I just fell foul of this as I hadn't realised
Dual carriageway, mobile camera, caught doing 70 which I thought was fine, nope

Interesting. I went past a mobile camera today on a dual carriageway. Cruise on at 70mph. I knew it was 50 in national speed limit, didn't know it was 60 on a dual carriageway. Wonder if I'll get done...

Interesting. I went past a mobile camera today on a dual carriageway. Cruise on at 70mph. I knew it was 50 in national speed limit, didn't know it was 60 on a dual carriageway. Wonder if I'll get done...
What are you driving?
I'm still waiting on a reply from dept for transport. I've been passed on from pillar to post loads but this looks like the final hurdul. They have all my vehichle info including log book and pictures. They have 3 days left to reply...fingers crossed I get an answer.

What are you driving?
I'm still waiting on a reply from dept for transport. I've been passed on from pillar to post loads but this looks like the final hurdul. They have all my vehichle info including log book and pictures. They have 3 days left to reply...fingers crossed I get an answer.

Panel van. My fault for not knowing (or, more accurately, forgetting) so if I have a ticket, I'll be paying-up and taking the points gracefully.

At this rate with all the issues with DVLA,steps,Adblu and noise, I can’t get my Kombi on Auto Trader quick enough

Just a quick update.
Attached is an email I received from customercare@vwcv.co.uk. I'd sent them a covering email explaining that id had no help from any of the vehicle agencies about dual purpose speed limits and attached a copy of my log book.
Below was the reply. I redacted names for usual reasons.
1573289362161521190943741215539.jpg
Looks like I finally have my written confirmation I was after :thumbsup:

Be careful! as the police will not care about a letter from VW, you will need confirmation from the DVLA/DVSA/DfT

Check out this thread for info, V5 Documentation - Dvla Rule Change For Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019
I have tried the above listed.
No luck with any...they all pass the buck. Police Scotland checked my vehicle and said it was dual purpose but wouldn't put anything in print. DvlA would not either. Dvsa said that it's a Grey area. Dft said it's grey...speak to DVLA......DVLA said speak to manufacturer.
Manufacturer confirmed.
My vehicle hasn't been converted.....it's factory kombi running under the 2040kg Mass in service which the police and manufacture say is the reference.
I'll be doing 70mph from now on. Happy days.

It’s a difficult one. Think part of issue may be the move to automated cameras and the tech not being able to distinguish between vans. Still only really impacts single/duel carriage ways... and I’m not one for whizzing along anyway.

It’s a difficult one. Think part of issue may be the move to automated cameras and the tech not being able to distinguish between vans. Still only really impacts single/duel carriage ways... and I’m not one for whizzing along anyway.
I'll let you know in a few weeks if they can distinguish...lol....I'm off to Edinburgh mid week. That's about 70mile of dual carriageway that is lined with average speed cameras.
I'm gonna go for 72 on sat nav and see if they nip me. We will then know if they do their due diligence when it pings up light goods and see if they check the mass in service.
Only time will tell.
I'll update either way. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back