Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i think i may have answered my own question. The "new" band system for speeding penalties (of which i was blissfully unaware!) works like this:
upload_2019-9-3_14-5-31.png
So that means that, when speeding, because the speed limit is lower for LCVs on single and dual carriageways, you may fall into a higher banding. So if caught doing, say, 82 mph on a dual carriageway, you would only be in band A in a car (and therefore subject to a max 3 points), you would actually be in band B if you were in a LCV (and subject to a potential max 6 points).

I think that clears it up.....

Well i think i may have answered my own question. The "new" band system for speeding penalties (of which i was blissfully unaware!) works like this:
View attachment 50060
So that means that, when speeding, because the speed limit is lower for LCVs on single and dual carriageways, you may fall into a higher banding. So if caught doing, say, 82 mph on a dual carriageway, you would only be in band A in a car (and therefore subject to a max 3 points), you would actually be in band B if you were in a LCV (and subject to a potential max 6 points).

I think that clears it up.....

That’s what I meant but hadn’t considered the new banded system and earnings related fines, it is one offence but clearly the penalties are more severe for a similar speed if caught in a commercial vehicle.

Just consider yourself lucky that it’s not a commercial vehicle needing a HGV where anyone caught speeding is at the mercy of the traffic commissioner and, as a professional driver who should know better, faces very heavy penalties.

Part of the problem is that the above table are guidelines only. The magistrates do not always adhere to these guidelines either. :mad:

Just thought i would post this up here. I was in conversation with someone from the Safety Camera Unit Scotland yesterday. I was tying to get written confirmation about the classification of my Van.
Not wanting to get done by average speed cameras and potentially lose my licence in one journey. Although they would not confirm the classification they did send me a copy of the form they ask the police to fill in when they check the vehicle if they are unsure of its class.

Screenshot_20190918-224838.png

Hi all, I’ve read the first 8 pages and lost my thoughts completely on it.

I have a factory Kombi however logbook states
6 seats including driver
Light good vehicle

3000kg gross weight

Do I come under car or van speed limits?

Thanks

Hi all, I’ve read the first 8 pages and lost my thoughts completely on it.

I have a factory Kombi however logbook states
6 seats including driver
Light good vehicle

3000kg gross weight

Do I come under car or van speed limits?

Thanks
What does it say in the mass in service row? If it's under 2040 then your good for car limits.

What does it say in the mass in service row? If it's under 2040 then your good for car limits.
If you read on through the whole thread....alot I know but it says how you can be heavier than the 2040 because you can remove about 130kg for driver and fuel from your mass I. Service figure.
However a traffic cop I spoke to the other day said they would just go by what the log book states without doing any sums.

Each cop will do it differently, but I simplified it for myself. If it was a van with windows (side and rear) I applied car limits, if not I applied van limits. I never had a ticket contested on vehicle type grounds.

Each cop will do it differently, but I simplified it for myself. If it was a van with windows (side and rear) I applied car limits, if not I applied van limits. I never had a ticket contested on vehicle type grounds.
you were just lucky in that case, and a camera unit will look it up and post you ticket, end of.

you were just lucky in that case, and a camera unit will look it up and post you ticket, end of.

Sorry Loz, what I meant was that was how I handled it dishing out the penalties in person when I was a cop. Many camera operators and their departments will often err on the side of caution with the offer of FPNs.

I always knew that my T5 was a motor caravan, my Trafic a crew van (LCV) and my T6 is also a motor caravan.

Sorry Loz, what I meant was that was how I handled it dishing out the penalties in person when I was a cop. Many camera operators and their departments will often err on the side of caution with the offer of FPNs.

I always knew that my T5 was a motor caravan, my Trafic a crew van (LCV) and my T6 is also a motor caravan.
I'm with you now, I was at a meeting with the new Gloucestershire Camera unit last night...

I agree that actual policeman have a good idea just by looking at the vehicle and their experience. However I've been informed by the Speed Camera Unit that the average speed cameras and the mobile cameras operated by civilians just use the (light goods vehichle) part of the logbook to issue tickets. This comes from information supplied by DVLA.
I've just been trying to get an OK for my van so I don't become a nervous wreck waiting for 8 average speed ticket turning up through my door and a court appearance...lol

Just thought i would post this up here. I was in conversation with someone from the Safety Camera Unit Scotland yesterday. I was tying to get written confirmation about the classification of my Van.
Not wanting to get done by average speed cameras and potentially lose my licence in one journey. Although they would not confirm the classification they did send me a copy of the form they ask the police to fill in when they check the vehicle if they are unsure of its class.

View attachment 51027

I agree that actual policeman have a good idea just by looking at the vehicle and their experience. However I've been informed by the Speed Camera Unit that the average speed cameras and the mobile cameras operated by civilians just use the (light goods vehichle) part of the logbook to issue tickets. This comes from information supplied by DVLA.
I've just been trying to get an OK for my van so I don't become a nervous wreck waiting for 8 average speed ticket turning up through my door and a court appearance...lol

In the picture of that information it states the seats have to be permanently fitted. Does that not rule a Kombi out was they are removable?

In the picture of that information it states the seats have to be permanently fitted. Does that not rule a Kombi out was they are removable?
I've read that if the van has fixed brackets into the floor of the van then they are classed as fixed.
Traffic policeman told me the same. .

I've read that if the van has fixed brackets into the floor of the van then they are classed as fixed.
Traffic policeman told me the same. .
Just to add to that. I'm sure if you take the seats out and have a load in it taking up the space and negating the steering wheel to back of rear most seat measurement then that will qualify at reduced limits.
Could be wrong...but that kinda makes sense to me.

So, the 'mass in service' on my T6 is 2012kg so, from the above, 70 is my motorway/dual carriageway limit and 60 on single carriageway? Correct?
Ironically, I usually 'cruise' at 58mph. I have had an economic 62mpg on a motorway trip and it avoids pulling out to pass HGVs every minute or so.

So, the 'mass in service' on my T6 is 2012kg so, from the above, 70 is my motorway/dual carriageway limit and 60 on single carriageway? Correct?
Ironically, I usually 'cruise' at 58mph. I have had an economic 62mpg on a motorway trip and it avoids pulling out to pass HGVs every minute or so.
I'd say yes if it's a factory kombi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back