Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - probably the most accurate!
Just wondering who determines the weight that is put on the V5 if it is different to the official VW figures.

Just to bring this thread back to life as I have just got my 2o16 Kombi 180 Highline 4motion DSG. Log book states 2268Kg.
Put it on a weighbridge today fuel light just come on 2170Kg.
Would removing the triple rear seats and the spare wheel lose the magic 130Kg?

Just to bring this thread back to life as I have just got my 2o16 Kombi 180 Highline 4motion DSG. Log book states 2268Kg.
Put it on a weighbridge today fuel light just come on 2170Kg.
Would removing the triple rear seats and the spare wheel lose the magic 130Kg?
Yep. Probably.
But the regs say the seats need to be in.. although I'm tired and at work so it's possible that the 4 wheel drive capability may negate the seats thing. I'll check and get back to you tomorrow. My gut feeling says it's the lower speed limits for you.

Just this minute got my t6 back from a converters and the paperwork is motor caravan but the vehicle category is n1.

Going to stick to 50/60/70 just in case.

Just this minute got my t6 back from a converters and the paperwork is motor caravan but the vehicle category is n1.

Going to stick to 50/60/70 just in case.
Campervans (Motor Caravans) are subject to the same speed limit as cars:

DVLA: Speed limits - GOV.UK

Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) 30 (48) 60 (96) 70 (112) 70 (112)

im not sure but if its a van N1 from birth thats it does not matter if its been converted still stays as a van
somebody please correct me if im wrong

im not sure but if its a van N1 from birth thats it does not matter if its been converted still stays as a van
My understanding having read this thread and DVLA responses elsewhere is that it stays as N1 for taxation purposes but the body type should change to something to do with Motor caravan.

If you look at the DVLA website
If you look at the DVLA website www.gov.uk/speed-limits you will see that it makes no mention of N1, M1 or anything similar. It merely states the speed limits for the TYPE of vehicle, NOT the vehicle CATEGORY or Taxation Class. If the body type is listed as Motor Caravan (e.g. a Campervan) then the appropriate speed limit applies according to its unladen weight. A Kombi is a van and the appropriate speed limits apply. My Camper started life as a Kombi but since its Body type was changed on the V5C to a Motor Caravan the speed limit for that applies. Whatever it was at 'birth' as you say is irrelevant, what it is now is what matters:

Convert a vehicle into a motorhome - GOV.UK
It’s a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicles are classified correctly on the V5C registration certificate (log book). All campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall into the DVLA category of ‘motor caravan’.
If you’ve converted a van into a motor caravan, you must return the V5C to DVLA for amendment.

If you look at the DVLA website

If you look at the DVLA website www.gov.uk/speed-limits you will see that it makes no mention of N1, M1 or anything similar. It merely states the speed limits for the TYPE of vehicle, NOT the vehicle CATEGORY or Taxation Class. If the body type is listed as Motor Caravan (e.g. a Campervan) then the appropriate speed limit applies according to its unladen weight. A Kombi is a van and the appropriate speed limits apply. My Camper started life as a Kombi but since its Body type was changed on the V5C to a Motor Caravan the speed limit for that applies. Whatever it was at 'birth' as you say is irrelevant, what it is now is what matters:

Convert a vehicle into a motorhome - GOV.UK
It’s a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicles are classified correctly on the V5C registration certificate (log book). All campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall into the DVLA category of ‘motor caravan’.
If you’ve converted a van into a motor caravan, you must return the V5C to DVLA for amendment.
A Kombi is a van UNLESS it meets the requirements to be dual purpose in which case the higher limits apply.

My understanding having read this thread and DVLA responses elsewhere is that it stays as N1 for taxation purposes but the body type should change to something to do with Motor caravan.

Yep, n1 classification can never be changed on the vehicle logbook no matter what you do to the vehicle... Except if you scrap it lol.. I had interesting conversations a few moons ago ref my old vehicle.. The body type changes, but never the taxation class, this can lead to interesting situations, as sometimes n1 tax is cheaper than car iirc..

Out of interest, of approx 43 variants of the Kombi I think only 12 would qualify as Dual Purpose because of the weight limit of 2.040Kg unladen.

hi DP , were on the V5 does it show the unladen weight ?
I don't think it does (just to make things difficult!) I have what seems to be a rare copy of the Transporter brochure, although it is dated April 2017, which lists all the full specs. The weights should be available on the download version I expect.
I suspect it is "mass in service", which will not correspond exactly to the brochure weights because it will vary depending on which optional extras have been fitted to the van at the factory.

Last edited:
hi DP , were on the V5 does it show the unladen weight ?
It shows mass in service which includes driver at 75kg and 90% full fuel tank. Subtract 130kg from this figure as said earlier in the thread to get an approximate unladen weight or take it to a weighbridge almost out of fuel and without you in it when weighed for a more accurate measure.

I remember going through the weighbridge test when I first got my Kombi. I went with the seats removed and an almost empty tank but it still got nowhere near the magic 2040kg. It’s a 150ps 4motion Highline. I think basically if you have 4motion you are stuffed because of the weight of the extra mechanicals

Hope this hasn’t already been asked, but there are 14 pages to read through, do average speed cameras with their APR capability know if you’re registered as N1? Or is it just when you get the radar gun and pulled over by an actual copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back