Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Amarok is dual purpose by virtue of the "is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle" bit.

So the 4Motion has something else going for it?

So the 4Motion has something else going for it?
I think you'll find they are all too heavy. But that's just from memory. In actual fact having just looked at the Amarok specs I think they are potentially all too heavy as well.

Ah yes, well over infact the T32. decisions decisions. Have been about to pull the trigger on a T32 4 motion but it can't quite take a tonne if the VAT man gets sniffing around. However it seems there may be a solution to that: Uprating

This is a long, but quite challenging, thread.
I currently have a T5 window van with Kombi kit (they didn't do an actual Kombi in 2009) but is classed as M1 in the V5
Now in proceess of ordering a T6 T30 150PS DSG which I understand from the dealer will be an N1.
Yet, on the DVLA website that helps determine emmisions classification the dropdown menus leads to it being a class G for emissions car.
So, rang VW .. they absolutely refuse to answer the question as to is it M1 or N1.
Called DVLA .. they wouldn't answer either but said it was down to whatever the dealer puts in AFRL when they register the vehicle!
So if they say it's M1 then after 1 April you get stuffed with a £500 first year tax plus reg fee .. but much lower ongoing tax than if it is N1 when you don't get the £500.
Then, as commented earlier in this thread, as a N1 you have the lower dual carriageway speed limit.
What a complete and utter mess for which it seems unable to get a definitive, and legal, answer.

Your dealer will register a panel van or kombi as N1 & any california, caravelle or shuttle as M1
I see the kombi as the best of both worlds as its N1 for RFL but as under max weight so can do higher speed limits

@gdlm , as @Pauly says should be N1. The clue is in the word Kombi.

Kombi is used to define a commercial vehicle that can also be used with factory fit rear seats to carry people in the back. HOWEVER, it NEEDS the N1 marker to denote. That it is a vehicle for transporting a commercial load as well when seats are REMOVED, as it is then a basic VAN.

When used with rear seats INSTALLED it is the higher speed limit, as is a true KOMBI. When used sans rear seats, it is the LOWER speed limit, as is being used as a VAN.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies ... much appreciated .. wonder if I take out the double seat and leave the single can I do 65 on a dual carriagway ;-0 ( that's a joke, honest).
I suppose the only other challenge would be the Severn Bridge .. always gone over as a car with the T5; ditto toll motorways in mainland Europe but with those I always go down the car lane and pay with card so no human interaction .. and woudn't put roof bars on as that could just tip the height limit. What a crazy world.

Last edited:
For info, just had my SWB T32 Highline Kombi weighed at a certified weighbridge (Bales, Honiton).

Euro 5, 2 front seats, twin slider doors, split rear seats, roof rails, tow bar conversion but tow bar removed. Fuel in red band, seat covers left on.

1980kg

£10 well spent I reckon.

Thanks Thogg for sage words in this thread. Saw your naked van this morning at Slidepods about to get heavier. Will be watching lining progress on line with interest.

Well I decided to get mine weighed today, T32 140 Kombi with twin sliders and it came in at 196okg, well worth the £10 for the piece of mind to know it's ok.

Picked up my van on Wednesday and took it straight to the weighbridge in Romford. The V5 lists the mass in service as 2120 and the weighbridge, with an empty van having done 10-20 miles since low fuel warning, came in at 2 tonnes on the button.

Spec is Transporter T6 102PS TDi BMT Euro 6 T32 SWB Kombi Highline, with optional front dual passenger seat, 2+1 seats in the middle, manual drivers side sliding door, second maintenance battery, (plus some others probably totalling <1kg)

Very glad to have peace of mind. Thought it might be close, but not this close, to the magic 2040.

Picked up my van on Wednesday and took it straight to the weighbridge in Romford. The V5 lists the mass in service as 2120 and the weighbridge, with an empty van having done 10-20 miles since low fuel warning, came in at 2 tonnes on the button.

Spec is Transporter T6 102PS TDi BMT Euro 6 T32 SWB Kombi Highline, with optional front dual passenger seat, 2+1 seats in the middle, manual drivers side sliding door, second maintenance battery, (plus some others probably totalling <1kg)

Very glad to have peace of mind. Thought it might be close, but not this close, to the magic 2040.
Well played, keep that piece of paper very safe with the "dual purpose vehicle" print out in your glove box.:thumbsup:

Not sure it will matter if you get a ticket through the post by a camera van, they will go off the log book weight. I hope I am wrong but I have got the 3 points to prove you don't believe everything the dealer tells you:(

Not sure it will matter if you get a ticket through the post by a camera van, they will go off the log book weight. I hope I am wrong but I have got the 3 points to prove you don't believe everything the dealer tells you:(
Sorry to hear that. Have you got anything to show unladen weight being below 2040, Alan? The law definitely talks about unladen weight, the log book refers to mass in service, and the definitions are different.

After reading the entire thread yesterday, went home and checked my V5.

Mass in service for mine is 2096kg. Unladen mass in the VW brochure of 2064kg. - SWB T32 150 Kombi Highline 6 speed manual, 2+1 seats.

Phoned the DVLA to ask what their view for difference between unladen and mass in service. The guy on the phone said for section 4, category G - shown as "mass in service" on my v5 actually shows as "unladen mass" on their system.

So I suspect this is the number VW has given the DVLA but including the 90% fuel and 75kg driver. Even though the gov.uk site stipulates that unladen weight does not include driver and fuel.

DVLA bloke also say if I could get them a weighbridge certificate they'd happily amend my V5, which considering it says 6 seats at the moment instead of the factory fitted 5 might be worth doing (dealer said the DVLA always list kombi's as 6 seats automatically, anyone else confirm this?)

Plan on weighing it once the tank is near empty and seeing what figure I get, what an absolute ball ache. I certainly appreciate all the time and effort people have put into this thread, very very informative!

Hi Guys,

New to this forum, but have been reading with interest the posts as recently I was sent a NIP for doing 72mph on a dual carriageway in my:
2016 Kombi 180 Highline DSG SWB.

I did a lot of research and found Thogg's answers on this site to be extremely helpful.

My brochure weight from VW is 2070 kg to include driver 75kgs and 90% full tank of fuel (approx 65kgs) so my nett weight is around 1930kg.

I sent the NIP back to the Police with a firm but friendly letter stating that my Kombi is classed as a 'Dual Purpose Vehicle' because it weighs under 2040 kg and also has rear seats, rear side windows and a rear window. I enclosed pictures of my Kombi to show all of this, I also sent a copy of the governments classification of a dual purpose vehicle, along with the governments true classification of being unladen (no driver/passengers or fuel) and and I also sent a print out of my model with the unladen weight highlighted from the VW brochure, clearly mentioning about the fact that the weight of 2070 kg is not the true unladen weight because as stated you need to deduct the weight of a driver and also 90% fuel.
I asked that they cancel the NIP as it was issued in error.

I got a letter this week from the police saying that the NIP had been cancelled and no further action would be taken.

Thanks to Thogg for this vital information, you saved me 3 points and I hope other drivers of Kombi's who get a NIP or stopped can use this information to prove that the speed limits for these vehicles are without doubt the same as car, providing they can be proved to weigh under 2040 kgs unladen, which I believe most of them do when you take off the deductions mentioned above.

Hi Guys,

New to this forum, but have been reading with interest the posts as recently I was sent a NIP for doing 72mph on a dual carriageway in my:
2016 Kombi 180 Highline DSG SWB.

I did a lot of research and found Thogg's answers on this site to be extremely helpful.

My brochure weight from VW is 2070 kg to include driver 75kgs and 90% full tank of fuel (approx 65kgs) so my nett weight is around 1930kg.

I sent the NIP back to the Police with a firm but friendly letter stating that my Kombi is classed as a 'Dual Purpose Vehicle' because it weighs under 2040 kg and also has rear seats, rear side windows and a rear window. I enclosed pictures of my Kombi to show all of this, I also sent a copy of the governments classification of a dual purpose vehicle, along with the governments true classification of being unladen (no driver/passengers or fuel) and and I also sent a print out of my model with the unladen weight highlighted from the VW brochure, clearly mentioning about the fact that the weight of 2070 kg is not the true unladen weight because as stated you need to deduct the weight of a driver and also 90% fuel.
I asked that they cancel the NIP as it was issued in error.

I got a letter this week from the police saying that the NIP had been cancelled and no further action would be taken.

Thanks to Thogg for this vital information, you saved me 3 points and I hope other drivers of Kombi's who get a NIP or stopped can use this information to prove that the speed limits for these vehicles are without doubt the same as car, providing they can be proved to weigh under 2040 kgs unladen, which I believe most of them do when you take off the deductions mentioned above.
No worries... glad it was of use.. this is exactly the situation the information was intended for. It should work for anything up to recorded speeds of around 77 mph. (Although different forces may apply different thresholds)
Once you are at 80 and above you are speeding. End of. That said it's definitely worth sending the info in and asking for it to be taken in consideration as it might mean the diffence between a course and points or points and a summons as you effectively won't be 20mph over the limit only 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
DVLA bloke also say if I could get them a weighbridge certificate they'd happily amend my V5,

I was just looking in to changing my V5, it seemed simple enough and I thought better to pre-empt automatically-issued tickets rather than have to deal with them in the future. Unfortunately though, there is no unladen weight listed, only the mass in service (which is correct - 2120); and even that doesn't look like it can be easily changed. Box 7 - changes to current vehicle - only has a space to change the revenue weight, i.e. 3200KG gross vehicle weight or maximum authorised mass.

Has anyone actually tried to change the V5? What's there to change? I'm not getting consistent advice from DVLA.

I was just looking in to changing my V5, it seemed simple enough and I thought better to pre-empt automatically-issued tickets rather than have to deal with them in the future. Unfortunately though, there is no unladen weight listed, only the mass in service (which is correct - 2120); and even that doesn't look like it can be easily changed. Box 7 - changes to current vehicle - only has a space to change the revenue weight, i.e. 3200KG gross vehicle weight or maximum authorised mass.

Has anyone actually tried to change the V5? What's there to change? I'm not getting consistent advice from DVLA.

The mass in service also includes an allowance of 75kg for a driver and 90% fuel so by reducing your gross weight by approx 120 kg you are well under the 2040kg limit set by the government.
So there would be no need to change the v5.
The mass in service figure is an EU wide figure and throughout Europe includes these amounts .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back