Kombi Beds - Vanking/wessex/exploria

Ashok2429

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone,

New to the forum/Transporter world and picking up my Kombi from the lads at BMVS after some much needed upgrades this weekend.

Looking to get a removable bed for the back for odd weekends away and have seen various posts on these options, which all seem pretty similar. It’s not a work van but we mtb most weekends and need to get the bikes in the back easily and preferably not having to take the bed out (plus lack of storage in our flat is also an issue).

For anyone with these beds couple of questions:

1. For when we go away do you think you could get 2 mtb’s without front wheels under the bed in the rear?
2. Do all 3 beds need to have the rear seats in place to function?
3. Can you remove the top of the exploria leaving the legs in place or is it all one piece?
4. Wessex and VanKing seem very similar and preference on either of these or downsides?

Thanks

Hello! Your van is looking amazing.
We recommend and fit the exploria bed. We have one on site going in another van you may be able to look at when you collect.

Hi everyone,

New to the forum/Transporter world and picking up my Kombi from the lads at BMVS after some much needed upgrades this weekend.

Looking to get a removable bed for the back for odd weekends away and have seen various posts on these options, which all seem pretty similar. It’s not a work van but we mtb most weekends and need to get the bikes in the back easily and preferably not having to take the bed out (plus lack of storage in our flat is also an issue).

For anyone with these beds couple of questions:

1. For when we go away do you think you could get 2 mtb’s without front wheels under the bed in the rear?
2. Do all 3 beds need to have the rear seats in place to function?
3. Can you remove the top of the exploria leaving the legs in place or is it all one piece?
4. Wessex and VanKing seem very similar and preference on either of these or downsides?

Thanks
Hi, did you ever find a good solution with 2 bikes in the back and a bed above? I've been looking at all of the options but don't think they go high enough to get the bikes in under. I'm thinking of making my own sliding tray with bed above but think the bed will be very tight to the roof......
Trying to see if anyone has done similar?
Cheers

Hi. No didn't manage to make it work in the end. We got the Exploria Kombi bed on it's highest legs, and you get about 27in of clearance underneath. My partners small road bike would just about fit with front wheel/saddle off, no chance for mine or our MTB's (and I think if we were to use some sort of fork clamp setup that would push the handlebars up too much). We've gone with a tow bar and rack for carrying the bikes with the bed in, on the odd occasion when we've just headed out for the day we can get two bikes across the van behind the front seats if we take out the rears.

On the bed height we originally had size 4 legs, which gave us a decent amount of headroom when laying down (and I could just about sit up without craning my neck too much, I'm 6ft), having gone up to size 6 to get a dog crate underneath I have to say it feels a lot more claustrophobic just going up 10cm, I probably wouldn't want to go much more than that before you feel like you're sleeping in coffin!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the report, kind of what I feared. I might rig something just to try it for a couple of short trips before we commit to a pop top

Hi. No didn't manage to make it work in the end. We got the Exploria Kombi bed on it's highest legs, and you get about 27in of clearance underneath. My partners small road bike would just about fit with front wheel/saddle off, no chance for mine or our MTB's (and I think if we were to use some sort of fork clamp setup that would push the handlebars up too much). We've gone with a tow bar and rack for carrying the bikes with the bed in, on the odd occasion when we've just headed out for the day we can get two bikes across the van behind the front seats if we take out the rears.

On the bed height we originally had size 4 legs, which gave us a decent amount of headroom when laying down (and I could just about sit up without craning my neck too much, I'm 6ft), having gone up to size 6 to get a dog crate underneath I have to say it feels a lot more claustrophobic just going up 10cm, I probably wouldn't want to go much more than that before you feel like you're sleeping in coffin!

Hope this helps.
We have a medium sized crate under size 4 legs if that helps (one of the bright coloured ones from pet place)

Try Ovano.co.uk .... I really like them... think I may purchase one bit they are pricey..

We have a medium sized crate under size 4 legs if that helps (one of the bright coloured ones from pet place)

Thanks, yeah unfortunately we’ve got a large standard poodle and all the XL crates were too tall (but she doesn’t need that much headroom). Ended up having to get a custom crate made from Lintran.

Back