kombi bed

DirtyAngel

Hi all, hope everyone is safe and well in these strange times. I was wondering if anybody knew of a bed system for a kombi that connects into the original kombi seat mounts. Many thanks in advance, sta

There are many that use the kombi seat layed flat as part of bed and a frame / platform that fits in the cargo area.

Ian

Have a good look before committing. I’ve got a Kombi bed and we always found it a faff, I wish I’d got myself a rock n roll type of bed.

The Kombi steel frame gets in the way, yes it’s easy to remove, but a pain nonetheless. Then there’s 3 bits of mattress that have to be carried around. If you want to use the back seat during the day then the bed needs to be disassembled and the bits stored.

By the time I realised the Kombi bed wasn’t for me I’d had my interior retrimmed including the rear seats so it would have cost a fortune to get a new rock n roll covered.

I'd be interested if anyone had any further options.

I've seen the simple frames but currently I'm thinking this (pictured) as it has a kitchen pod built in.

I'm trying to find out how easy it is to remove etc.....

I want to retain my kombi seats in the van and mine is my daily drive. This is for camping a couple of weeks a year.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 19.11.44.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 19.11.57.png

Have you thought about a bed that attaches to your rear bench seat? I bought one from Amdro and they are great quality and very good.. the bed in the picture is from my old van.. the bed is no longer used and just stuck in my garage at home.. brand new it is £595 but I am thinking about selling it.

78564734-6DAC-4035-93A2-B0024136BB1F.jpeg

F5426865-2736-4076-BA4F-E6124643C530.png

BEA7B386-C794-4CCF-A885-9D101000D0C2.png

I've seen the simple frames but currently I'm thinking this (pictured) as it has a kitchen pod built in.

I want to retain my kombi seats in the van and mine is my daily drive. This is for camping a couple of weeks a year.

Thanks

View attachment 74726
View attachment 74727
I’m interested in this to

I've got an Exploria Kombi bed system fitted, got the size that fits over the rear seats so you just fold them down and pull out the extension shelf over them slide the mattress section in place and your away. Full width of the van and comfy with it, reduced head height which i thought would be an issue isn't still plenty of room.
Loads of room underneath to get everything in and acts as a parcel shelf so you can't see whats being carried when in daily use.
Downside is if you need to take it in and out then it weighs a ton and takes 2 people but i've not removed it since i fitted it 18months ago so not been an issue for me.IMG_2691.JPGIMG_2692.JPGIMG_2700.JPG

Thanks @Phil Blackburn - I've had a good read on their website. Looks to be 825+VAT+delivery with the mattress in any vw fabric. Looks like you went with the vinyl option?

Incidentally what carpet do you have on your floor and how does it fair when the seats are removed and dragged about on it? Looks v-nice.

Have you thought about a bed that attaches to your rear bench seat? I bought one from Amdro and they are great quality and very good.. the bed in the picture is from my old van.. the bed is no longer used and just stuck in my garage at home.. brand new it is £595 but I am thinking about selling it.

View attachment 75019

View attachment 75020

View attachment 75021

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Wayne, bought the Amdro bed off him and it was as described, great bit of kit and he was ready waiting for me at the right time, really good guy and a cool van that he had on the drive

Great person to have on the forum

:thumbsup:

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Wayne, bought the Amdro bed off him and it was as described, great bit of kit and he was ready waiting for me at the right time, really good guy and a cool van that he had on the drive

Great person to have on the forum

:thumbsup:
Thank you so much... pleasure meeting you also... you take care

Hi Timmy
I built something similar. I used the bed frame that came with my van, which is the one from Wessex vans. It bolts in to the 4 anchoring points, so it is easy to get in and out.
For the kitchen I did something similar to the phots you sent. I used 1.2/2.4m heavy duty sliders and fitted two Ikea kitchen units. It all goes into a frame made with plywood that bolts into the bed frame. I have had it for almost there years now and used it a lot. It works great. Lots of space for storing food, cooking stuff,... Putting the kitchen in and out takes few minutes, and it has the added advantage that each of the kitchen units can be removed from the frame, so it you stop somewhere for few days you can move the kitchen in to a tent or something like that. To save space and weight, the bottle of gas fits neatly on the side of the kitchen, to the right. Then the whose has a quick clip to connect to the kitchen (CADAC kitchen and connexion).
I upload a couple of photos. I can send more details if interested.
M

Thanks

View attachment 74726
View attachment 74727

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 11.09.31.png

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 11.15.55.png

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 11.09.56.png

I almost went for a Amdro type bed that folds over the Kombi seating, but realised you've to carry all the cushions, along with any mattress topper and bedding. I DIY'd a rough one and we used inflatable mattresses for 18 months, but found it a faff having to move everything around to get the bed set up or returned to seats. If you need to keep the Kombi positioned seats, I'd look carefully at insert coin's suggestion above. It doesn't look RIB quality, but reduces what needs to be in the van. You should get £200-400 for selling the original seats. Looks like it sits further back than the standard Kombi seats though and/or requires extra mountings, so not 'plug and play'

Thanks

View attachment 74726
View attachment 74727

I'm curious to know if anyone has got feedback for this pull pod (old or new version).

Cheers

Back